Start by marking “Little Houses” as Want to Read:
Little Houses

Little Houses

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  8 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The stories in Eleanor Swanson’s Little Houses are full of subtle mystery and nuance—of what we tell each other, and the secrets we keep, how we connect, and fail to connect, how we love, and how we betray those we love. And how there are no answers, not anywhere, though looking for them is what keeps us alive. These stories deal with nothing less than what it means to be ...more
Published April 23rd 2013 by Stephen F. Austin University Press (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Little Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Houses

I've been wanting to read this for some time and finally managed to snag a copy at Dr. Swanson's last reading. I am a huge fan of her poetry, but I don't think I've been able to read any of her short stories since I was in college. This collection reminded me that A) I don't read enough short stories and B) I was very lucky to have been her student.

During the last reading, people commented on her ability to grasp such a wide range of voices in a very few pages. This is absolutely accurate, but n
Aug 05, 2013 Staci rated it really liked it
This book of haunting short stories sings the praises of Eleanor Swanson's imagination. In short time she draws you into the conflicted characters, all the while reminding you that you never quite know them. In doing so, she makes masterful use of the brief format to create unsettling moods and backdrops full of mystery. There is a ghost-like feel to each story and the sense that you've been let in on a secret.
Susan Hester
Jul 19, 2013 Susan Hester rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This book of short stories examines life's conflicts and sadnesses with metaphor, mysticism, and humor. Each story suggests a different dilemma, something we have faced or could imagine we might. Swanson successfully paints rich and varied portraits of her unique characters, giving us a glimpse into their "small houses."
Nance Van Winckel
Dec 20, 2013 Nance Van Winckel rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories. In each one I'm pulled in by the complexity of the characters. "Bigfoot on Tv," "Simon," and "Memory" were my favorites. I also love the sense of place and the details of the lives—so vivid, so compelling. The worlds of these stories are fully realized. I'm recommending this to friends and students. Thank you, Eleanor!
David Hicks
David Hicks rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Adrienne rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2014
Pat Spears
Pat Spears rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Laura Hickey
Laura Hickey rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014