Little Houses

Little Houses

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The stories in Eleanor Swanson’s Little Houses are full of subtle mystery and nuance—of what we tell each other, and the secrets we keep, how we connect, and fail to connect, how we love, and how we betray those we love. And how there are no answers, not anywhere, though looking for them is what keeps us alive. These stories deal with nothing less than what it means to be...more
Published April 23rd 2013 by Stephen F. Austin University Press (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Little Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Houses

Staci
This book of haunting short stories sings the praises of Eleanor Swanson's imagination. In short time she draws you into the conflicted characters, all the while reminding you that you never quite know them. In doing so, she makes masterful use of the brief format to create unsettling moods and backdrops full of mystery. There is a ghost-like feel to each story and the sense that you've been let in on a secret.
Nance Van Winckel
Wonderful stories. In each one I'm pulled in by the complexity of the characters. "Bigfoot on Tv," "Simon," and "Memory" were my favorites. I also love the sense of place and the details of the lives—so vivid, so compelling. The worlds of these stories are fully realized. I'm recommending this to friends and students. Thank you, Eleanor!
Susan Hester
This book of short stories examines life's conflicts and sadnesses with metaphor, mysticism, and humor. Each story suggests a different dilemma, something we have faced or could imagine we might. Swanson successfully paints rich and varied portraits of her unique characters, giving us a glimpse into their "small houses."
Pat Spears
Pat Spears marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Michelle Mcginty
Michelle Mcginty marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Deanette
Deanette marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Trembling in the Bones A Thousand Bonds: Marie Curie And The Discovery Of Radium Before the Reef Memory's Rooms Exiles and Expatriates