Start by marking “The Queen's Rivals” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Rivals

The Queen's Rivals

Their ambitions were ordinary, but they were born too close to the throne...

As cousins of history's most tempestuous queens, Ladies Jane, Katherine, and Mary Grey were born in an age when all of London lived beneath the Tower's menacing shadow. Tyrannized by Bloody Mary and the Virgin Queen, the sisters feared love was unthinkable —and the scaffold all but unavoidable...

Ra
Published June 25th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Rivals

Seduction by M.J. RoseThe Aviator's Wife by Melanie BenjaminThe Firebird by Susanna KearsleyThe Midwife's Tale by Sam   ThomasThe White Princess by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction 2013
162nd out of 372 books — 2,433 voters
A Race to Splendor by Ciji WareElusive Hope by MaryLu TyndallGirl on the Golden Coin by Marci JeffersonShields of Pride by Elizabeth ChadwickCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
Little Drops of Sunrise
33rd out of 274 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Jul 14, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

To be a member of the Tudor court was to accept a life that coexisted with the specter of death. For some, it was a necessary evil, worth the privileges of rank, but for others, social status was a burden, a shadow they'd just as well live without. This is the world that comes brilliantly to life beneath Brandy Purdy's pen in The Queen's Rivals.

Now I've read fictional accounts of Jane Grey before, but none of them come close
Michelle (True Book Addict)
Although I know of Jane Grey's story, her lineage and the circumstances surrounding her execution, I did not know a lot about her family. I certainly did not know that one of her sisters was a dwarf, or that her mother was so very cruel. Now I realize that this is historical 'fiction' and, not having read extensively about Jane Grey, I can't say how historically accurate this book is. However, Purdy has written a great book giving us not only the story of Jane Grey, but a glimpse of the lives th ...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This was an insanely fun historical novel, a salacious and tawdry look at some of the lesser known Tudor relatives, in the vein of Phillipa Gregory. Following the three Grey Sisters -- Jane (The Nine Days' Queen), Katherine, and Mary -- Purdy's story is sympathetic toward the women who find themselves pawns by blood, marriage, or choice.

Mary narrates the story of her family and the tragic ends her sisters faced. Almost like a fairy tale, each sister embodies a vice or virtue: Jane is brilliant,
The Lit Bitch
Jul 22, 2013 The Lit Bitch rated it liked it
Purdy has a very descriptive writing style which I fell in love with! Reading her descriptions of the food, castles, clothes….everything was like seeing it and touching it up close and personal!

It did take me a little bit to get used to Purdy’s writing style though. For me it seemed a little long and dramatic….flowery if you will. Once I got used to it, I was able to become more engaged in the story but it did take a little getting used to at first.

If you are a fan of Phillipa Gregory, you will
Andrea Guy
There are certain authors I know will always delight me when it comes to the Tudor Period. One of those authors is Brandy Purdy.

In this Tudor novel we are treated to the lives of the Grey sisters, Katherine, Jane and Mary.

Everyone knows of Jane...who was the 9 day Queen. She's written about quite a bit in historical fiction. What surprised me was that the voice of the story was the younger sister, Mary, who I didn't really know much about until reading this book.

Like all books in the Tudor perio
Kathleen Kelly
Jul 17, 2013 Kathleen Kelly rated it it was amazing
The Queen's Rivals tells the tragic fictional story of the Grey sisters, as told in the voice of Mary Grey. The sisters were very close to each other, their mother Lady Frances Brandon was too worried about appearances and the royal court to pay a lot of attention to her daughters, unless she profited from them. Their father on the other hand was very indulgent if not a little flighty and preoccupied with 'sweets'.
Lady Jane Grey along with her husband and father were executed for what was calle
Amber
Jul 03, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
Most everyone is aware of Lady Jane Grey who usurped the English throne after King Edward VI’s death and before Queen Mary I’s reign. Not everyone is aware of her two younger sisters, Katherine and Mary. In this latest historical fiction book by Brandy Purdy, the author explores the tight bond between the three unfortunate sisters through fictional accounts of their mostly happy early childhood and their early teen years which saw them grow up much too quickly and take on very adult burdens.

I al
Patty
Jun 23, 2013 Patty rated it liked it
This novel tells the tale of the three Grey sisters; Jane, Mary and Kate. I was quite familiar with Jane's story of course, but not so familiar with her sisters'. It starts from their girlhood and progresses through their tragic ends. It's narrated by Mary - the last of the three to die.

The girls came to their adulthood in dangerous times carrying a dangerous heritage; they were next in line to the throne after Henry VIII's offspring and were therefore used as rallying points for those opposed t
Chelsey
Jun 27, 2013 Chelsey rated it liked it
This book tells the story of the Grey sisters – Jane, Katherine, and Mary – whom I did not know that much about until after reading. Of course, I did know more about Jane than Katherine and Mary. This story is told from Mary’s perspective because she is the youngest sister and lives the longest. Mary isn’t as attractive or well-liked as her sisters and I loved Purdy’s take on her as a character. This story follows the three sisters up to Jane’s wedding and their lives as royals along with their ...more
Jane
May 11, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book

This book is a true tear jerker. The differences in the sisters and their fates was a riveting read. I am not sure of the actual historical significance of the sisters (other than Jane of course), but the telling of their story was an interesting one. The author did a wonderful job on the voice of the little known (to me at least) main character.
Sharon Chance
Jul 06, 2013 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
Told from the viewpoint of Lady Mary Grey, the youngest Grey sister, this story is a fascinating look at the political machinations that went on during the Tudor era of England's history. The Grey sisters were just girls who longed for simple lives, but who were caught up as pawns in the race to secure the throne in the uneasy time after the death of King Henry VIII.

I loved the intricate descriptions that author Brandy Purdy used in this story - the details of the foods, the clothes, the jewels
May 04, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This book....I couldn't get into it. It's one of the most selfish portrayals of the Grey sisters-filled with horrible fluffy prose and excessive descriptions. It's almost like she tried to pad out a story to make a novel. But that was unnecessary, there's so much factual details to tell. I was lost very early on and found myself sickened by how she charecterized Jane and Katherine Grey. Jane age had bordering on cruelty and Katherine she had so stupidly vapid that I found myself want to suffocat ...more
Edna Rankine
Sep 11, 2015 Edna Rankine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consanguinity

The story of three sisters born and raised in the web of fertility and succession politics, prevalent in the English court during the tenuous reign of the Tudors. A continuous struggle of survival...
Sara Smith
May 06, 2014 Sara Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about 3 sisters: the beautiful one, the brainy one and the beastly one who are in line to be queen. An interesting story told from the beastly one's perspective.
Trina Kubicki
Jul 09, 2016 Trina Kubicki rated it liked it
Children don't talk like that...
Jani Brooks
Jun 06, 2013 Jani Brooks rated it liked it
Well written and interesting novel of the Grey sisters - Jane, Katherine, and Mary. Told by Mary, readers are taken through the days leading up to Jane's marriage to Guildford Dudley and the deadly decisions made after Edward's death. Katherine and Mary have their own heartbreak too.
Makayla Osipenko
Jun 08, 2015 Makayla Osipenko rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this! The writing style is clear, but with very beautiful imagery that really captures the time period. The characters were overall very interesting and I wasn't bored once during my journey with this book.
Maria Brewerton
Nov 15, 2013 Maria Brewerton rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I often read the kind of tudor fiction that paints Elizabeth I as a victim, books like this actually make her quite unlikeable.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Enjoyable, wild, fresh look at life the life of the three Grey sisters.

Review to come 7/17 for the blog tour!
Heather Domin
May 02, 2013 Heather Domin rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Full review posted here: http://teacake421.livejournal.com/129... Summary: I liked it.
Kels Fidler
Jul 21, 2014 Kels Fidler rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on my blog: literatureobsessed.blogspot.com.
Kelly A.
Review coming soon. I just felt creeped out the entire time while reading this.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Sarah Adams
Sarah Adams marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Dielitza Hernandez
Dielitza Hernandez marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Shay Kelleher
Shay Kelleher marked it as to-read
Yvette
Yvette rated it it was amazing
Daniela Torres
Daniela Torres marked it as to-read
Jean Pritchard
Jean Pritchard marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Elana
Elana rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 07:38AM
  • Roses Have Thorns (Ladies in Waiting #3)
  • The Forgotten Queen
  • Queen Elizabeth's Daughter: A Novel of Elizabeth I
  • I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • Blood Between Queens (Thornleigh, #5)
  • Queen of Bedlam
  • Venus in Winter
  • The King's Damsel (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #5)
  • The Tudor Conspiracy (The Spymaster Chronicles, #2)
  • My Lady Viper
  • Lady Jane Grey: Nine Days Queen
  • Thwarted Queen (Thwarted Queen Book 3)
  • The Boleyn Reckoning (The Boleyn Trilogy, #3)
  • Mistress of Mourning
  • The Passionate Brood
  • Godiva
  • Confessions of Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette, #3)