Start by marking “The Queen's Rivals” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Rivals

The Queen's Rivals

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Their ambitions were ordinary, but they were born too close to the throne...

As cousins of history's most tempestuous queens, Ladies Jane, Katherine, and Mary Grey were born in an age when all of London lived beneath the Tower's menacing shadow. Tyrannized by Bloody Mary and the Virgin Queen, the sisters feared love was unthinkable —and the scaffold all but unavoidable...

Ra
Published June 25th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Rivals

Seduction by M.J. RoseThe Aviator's Wife by Melanie BenjaminThe Firebird by Susanna KearsleyThe Midwife's Tale by Sam   ThomasTemple of a Thousand Faces by John Shors
Historical Fiction 2013
188th out of 550 books — 2,324 voters
Elusive Hope by MaryLu TyndallGirl on the Golden Coin by Marci JeffersonCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareShields of Pride. Elizabeth Chadwick by Elizabeth ChadwickA Race to Splendor by Ciji Ware
Little Drops of Sunrise
17th out of 236 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

To be a member of the Tudor court was to accept a life that coexisted with the specter of death. For some, it was a necessary evil, worth the privileges of rank, but for others, social status was a burden, a shadow they'd just as well live without. This is the world that comes brilliantly to life beneath Brandy Purdy's pen in The Queen's Rivals.

Now I've read fictional accounts of Jane Grey before, but none of them come close
Michelle/ The True Book Addict
Although I know of Jane Grey's story, her lineage and the circumstances surrounding her execution, I did not know a lot about her family. I certainly did not know that one of her sisters was a dwarf, or that her mother was so very cruel. Now I realize that this is historical 'fiction' and, not having read extensively about Jane Grey, I can't say how historically accurate this book is. However, Purdy has written a great book giving us not only the story of Jane Grey, but a glimpse of the lives th ...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This was an insanely fun historical novel, a salacious and tawdry look at some of the lesser known Tudor relatives, in the vein of Phillipa Gregory. Following the three Grey Sisters -- Jane (The Nine Days' Queen), Katherine, and Mary -- Purdy's story is sympathetic toward the women who find themselves pawns by blood, marriage, or choice.

Mary narrates the story of her family and the tragic ends her sisters faced. Almost like a fairy tale, each sister embodies a vice or virtue: Jane is brilliant,
The Lit Bitch
Purdy has a very descriptive writing style which I fell in love with! Reading her descriptions of the food, castles, clothes….everything was like seeing it and touching it up close and personal!

It did take me a little bit to get used to Purdy’s writing style though. For me it seemed a little long and dramatic….flowery if you will. Once I got used to it, I was able to become more engaged in the story but it did take a little getting used to at first.

If you are a fan of Phillipa Gregory, you will
Andrea Guy
There are certain authors I know will always delight me when it comes to the Tudor Period. One of those authors is Brandy Purdy.

In this Tudor novel we are treated to the lives of the Grey sisters, Katherine, Jane and Mary.

Everyone knows of Jane...who was the 9 day Queen. She's written about quite a bit in historical fiction. What surprised me was that the voice of the story was the younger sister, Mary, who I didn't really know much about until reading this book.

Like all books in the Tudor perio
Kathleen Kelly
The Queen's Rivals tells the tragic fictional story of the Grey sisters, as told in the voice of Mary Grey. The sisters were very close to each other, their mother Lady Frances Brandon was too worried about appearances and the royal court to pay a lot of attention to her daughters, unless she profited from them. Their father on the other hand was very indulgent if not a little flighty and preoccupied with 'sweets'.
Lady Jane Grey along with her husband and father were executed for what was calle
Amber
Most everyone is aware of Lady Jane Grey who usurped the English throne after King Edward VI’s death and before Queen Mary I’s reign. Not everyone is aware of her two younger sisters, Katherine and Mary. In this latest historical fiction book by Brandy Purdy, the author explores the tight bond between the three unfortunate sisters through fictional accounts of their mostly happy early childhood and their early teen years which saw them grow up much too quickly and take on very adult burdens.

I al
Patty
This novel tells the tale of the three Grey sisters; Jane, Mary and Kate. I was quite familiar with Jane's story of course, but not so familiar with her sisters'. It starts from their girlhood and progresses through their tragic ends. It's narrated by Mary - the last of the three to die.

The girls came to their adulthood in dangerous times carrying a dangerous heritage; they were next in line to the throne after Henry VIII's offspring and were therefore used as rallying points for those opposed t
Chelsey
This book tells the story of the Grey sisters – Jane, Katherine, and Mary – whom I did not know that much about until after reading. Of course, I did know more about Jane than Katherine and Mary. This story is told from Mary’s perspective because she is the youngest sister and lives the longest. Mary isn’t as attractive or well-liked as her sisters and I loved Purdy’s take on her as a character. This story follows the three sisters up to Jane’s wedding and their lives as royals along with their ...more
Sharon Chance
Told from the viewpoint of Lady Mary Grey, the youngest Grey sister, this story is a fascinating look at the political machinations that went on during the Tudor era of England's history. The Grey sisters were just girls who longed for simple lives, but who were caught up as pawns in the race to secure the throne in the uneasy time after the death of King Henry VIII.

I loved the intricate descriptions that author Brandy Purdy used in this story - the details of the foods, the clothes, the jewels
Sara Smith
A book about 3 sisters: the beautiful one, the brainy one and the beastly one who are in line to be queen. An interesting story told from the beastly one's perspective.
Jani Brooks
Well written and interesting novel of the Grey sisters - Jane, Katherine, and Mary. Told by Mary, readers are taken through the days leading up to Jane's marriage to Guildford Dudley and the deadly decisions made after Edward's death. Katherine and Mary have their own heartbreak too.
Maria Brewerton
I really enjoyed this book. I often read the kind of tudor fiction that paints Elizabeth I as a victim, books like this actually make her quite unlikeable.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Enjoyable, wild, fresh look at life the life of the three Grey sisters.

Review to come 7/17 for the blog tour!
Heather Domin
3.5 stars. Full review posted here: http://teacake421.livejournal.com/129... Summary: I liked it.
Kels Fidler
This review and many others can be found on my blog: literatureobsessed.blogspot.com.
Kelly A.
Review coming soon. I just felt creeped out the entire time while reading this.
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Lordi Anna
Lordi Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Shantice Woods
Shantice Woods marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Alexandra Taylor
Alexandra Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Francie Grice
Francie Grice marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Bradley Wees
Bradley Wees marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Paulina Hormizda
Paulina Hormizda marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Ashlee Vanasse
Ashlee Vanasse marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • My Lady Viper (Tales From the Tudor Court, #1)
  • Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I (Ladies in Waiting #3)
  • The Forgotten Queen
  • Queen Elizabeth's Daughter: A Novel of Elizabeth I
  • Blood Between Queens (Thornleigh, #5)
  • I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • Queen of Bedlam
  • Venus in Winter
  • The Tudor Conspiracy (The Spymaster Chronicles, #2)
  • A Day of Fire: a novel of Pompeii
  • Confessions of Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette, #3)
  • Thwarted Queen (Thwarted Queen Book 3)
  • The Marriage Game
  • The May Bride
  • Three Maids for a Crown: A Novel of the Grey Sisters
  • The King's Damsel (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #5)
  • Bessie Blount: The Story of Henry VIIIs Longtime Mistress.
Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both The Tudor Throne The Queen's Pleasure The Boleyn Bride The Ripper's Wife