Start by marking “Mirror, Mirror (includes In Death, #37.5)” as Want to Read:
Mirror, Mirror (includes In Death, #37.5)

Mirror, Mirror (In Death #37.5)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,314 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
Once upon a time...

...in a world far removed from the days when fairy tales were new, five bestselling authors spin versions that take the classic stories into a new dimension. You’ll recognize Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and other enduring characters, but they’ll exist in realms beyond your imagination, where the familiar is transformed into the extrao

Mass Market Paperback, 410 pages
Published September 24th 2013 by Jove (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mirror, Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirror, Mirror

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Happy Release Day! Be sure and grab your copy!

4.5 intriguing, lively, romantic, sinister, and enchanting stars!

This anthology offers something for everyone, and should not be missed! These stories work very well as stand alones.

#1 - Taken in Death by J.D. Robb - 5 stars -

For whatever reason, I haven't yet ventured into J.D. Robb's In Death series, even though my daughter is wild about these stories and owns every book. But I received the Mirror, Mirror anthology for review, so figured, why
Cris
As usual with an anthology, it's a mixed bag.

"Taken in Death" by J.D. Robb -- As usual I adored Robb's short story featuring Eve Dallas. I think Robb did a remarkable job of integrating the fairy-tale elements while still maintaining the usual 'feel' of Dallas' universe. I'd give this story 4 stars.

"If Wishes Were Horses" by Mary Blayney -- I found Martha rather inconsistent as a character. One moment she'd be acting in keeping with someone in service during that time period, and then she'd be
Jonetta
Oct 05, 2013 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is for Taken in Death only

I'm not a fan of the novellas in this series but this was a very nice surprise, one where the short format works.

It's a race against time to find Henry and Gala (our Hansel & Gretel), who've been kidnapped. The next 24 hours is a tense and exciting ride with Eve Dallas and her team as they work the case. Once you start this story you will not stop until the end in this classic In Death procedural and interesting take on a classic fairy tale. I now have a new f
Elvan
Oct 03, 2013 Elvan rated it it was amazing
Yay! A novella I can read again. Decent police work, cute brave kids (I like the name Henry...even sounds brave) and cameos by almost everyone in the series. How Eve manages to fit in a nightmare and sex in the 3 hours of downtime she gets in the entire novel is....typical! :p
Deirdre
Sep 09, 2014 Deirdre rated it really liked it
I liked this set of stories based on fairy tales.

J D Robb takes on Hansel and Gretel in Taken in Death. Twins are stolen by a woman who looks like their mother and they try to leave some breadcrumbs for someone to find them.

If Wishes were horses tells the tale of a servant who finds true love when she embraces a chance she gets. Nice story by Mary Blayney, a little supernatural stuff and I'd like to see more of these characters.

Beauty, Sleeping by Elaine Fox is a story of Faerie and a man who di
Kathy Davie
Jan 20, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
Five short stories with a fairy tale at their core.

Series: "Taken in Death" (In Death, 37.5)
"If Wishes Were Horses" (Poppy's Coin, 6)

The Stories
J.D. Robb wrote "Taken in Death" and channels Hansel and Gretel while Eve is the good witch whom the children pray finds them. Great job on this one. Tension, drama, and great work from Eve, Roarke, Feeney and his eBoys, and Dr. Mira as well as the Feds!

Mary Blayney wrote "If Wishes Were Horses", which finds Martha Stepp in a Goldilocks of trouble
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

MIRROR, MIRROR is an anthology comprised of five authors: J.D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Elaine Fox, Mary Kay McComas and R.C. Ryan. Of these five, I’ve only read Robb so I decided that it would be nice to explore the works of the others while still getting my Roarke fix!

What intrigued me about this anthology is that all the stories in this book are retellings or twists on well-known fairytales and we all know that I’m a sucker for those kind of things!

TAKEN IN DEATH by J.D. Robb – 4 stars

Robb’s stor
Kara Callahan
Oct 20, 2013 Kara Callahan rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this book. I thought it would be better than it was.

I would rate the first story "Taken in Death" as 2 stars. Lots of technical language and not much story. I could not get into this one and did not find it very interesting. This was supposed to be inspired by "Hansel & Gretel."

"If Wishes were Horses" centered around a magic gold coin and a man with healing ability. Better than the first story and a little bit entertaining but certainly not one of the best stories I'
Caro
Mar 03, 2014 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-death
This was a good anthology. I pretty much liked all the stories in this book. I was definitely grabbed by the throat with the first one (In Death novella) and the rest were intriguing and different. The last story definitely left me with smile on my face from the characters and the ironic name. ;) Took me a few seconds to get it. The 'coin' novella was good too. I had completely forgotten about that series and it reminded me of how good it is. This is something I most definitely wouldn't mind rea ...more
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)
This time Eve and her team met face to face with a crazy twin sister in eerie circumstances. Fairy tales in real life? In 2060s? That's something new...
One thing is for sure, this series never gets boring. At least for me. It's give or take 40 books long series and every other book brings something new. This time you get a warning that every story has its own interpretation, to never confuse people's intentions, and more importantly there are wackos all around us and probably always will be. If
Nancy
Jun 21, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This rating is only for J D Robb - the others are not more than 2 stars and a couple only 1 star.
Megan Lavey-Heaton
Sep 24, 2013 Megan Lavey-Heaton rated it it was amazing
After a few lackluster novella, this one was very powerful. Thankless in Death was a bit too disturbing for me, so it was really nice to see a more typical In Death story with Taken. I love how you see Eve's growth as a leader. Where she once fought against reaching out to certain organizations, to play politics, she doesn't hesitate this time. If anything, this book is a solid record of character growth for Eve, and I highly enjoyed it and appearances by most of the cast. This is a great novell ...more
sanny
Apr 10, 2016 sanny rated it it was ok
Shelves: fun, fable, shorts
The stories were arranged in order of merit and entertainment value I believe.

By the time I got to the last story I kinda get the feeling that it was written half-heartedly. I jest.

But, I did like the imagery in the first story and got to sketching. Update soon.

Omg, I actually did this almost a year ago. Found my doodling notebook. Maybe I should continue inking and sketching the rest of the stories.

Get colouring, kids.
Lyndi
Oct 01, 2014 Lyndi rated it it was ok
Taken in Death by J.D. Robb:
Didn't read it. I've only made it to #32 of the In Death series, so I'll come back to this one after I hit #37.

If Wishes Were Horses by Mary Blayney:
Pretty good. I'd have liked to see a bit more of the coin's magic and I think the "I love yous" were a bit corny in their timing, but I still enjoyed it.

Beauty, Sleeping by Elaine Fox:
This one was written oddly. We go from 3rd person, past tense to 1st person, present. It almost felt like a diary, but then there was a fai
Doris
May 29, 2014 Doris rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-d-robb
I really liked this book - for the most part anyhow. I am always amazed when I come across stories that are based on something else and then 're-engineered' to sound like something completely different.
The first three shorts by J D Robb, Mary Blayney and Elaine Fox had me eagerly reading the night away. JD's 'in death' series continues with a short based on Hansel and Gretel, with its usual bite and the reader's wondering about the outcome right to the last page. I have also come across Mary's m
Tsubame
Apr 25, 2014 Tsubame rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
No comentaré en inglés porque escribo fatal y con horrores gramaticales –peor que en castellano–.

La cosa era simple, yo quería leerlo. Dice “spin versions”, no necesitaba mas. Buscándolo no lo encontré pero estando en Italia, paseando por las librerías ¡ahí estaba!. –Lo cierto es que tampoco esta mal lo que encontré buscándolo–.
No soy muy de cosas románticas pero es que ¡son versiones de clásicos!

TAKEN IN DEATH por J. D. Robb.

En un futuro no muy lejano, secuestran a dos hermanos, una niña y un n
Dianna
Oct 05, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it
Giving it a 4 star mostly because it starts with the novella "Taken in Death", which should get a 5 star of it's own. This book consists of 5 novellas that are a new twist on old fairy tales. "Taken in Death" is a great twist, the others are varying degrees of cheesy. Though I do like cheese, and although it may win the "Cheesiest of the All" award, I liked the final installment in the book, "Stroke of Midnight", mostly because it was based primarily in Ireland, where my soul is.
Carly
4.5 Stars

This anthology features 5 stories each with their own unique twist on a classic fairy tale. It has a little bit for everyone.

Taken in Death by J.D Robb
5 stars

Hansel and Gretal meets police procedural. There is a reason why this series is so popular. From the first paragraph I was hooked.

If Wishes Were Horses by Mary Blayney
5 stars

This a sweet historical romance inspired by Goldilocks and the Three Bears. A young women is searching for her perfect fit.

Beauty Sleeping

A unique r
Karin Yukimura
Dec 28, 2014 Karin Yukimura rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I'm padding my "read" shelf with this book though I didn't finish it. I only read the first three stories in full, and a few chapters of the last two, which I found very boring.

Yes, I understand these are romance novellas--I'm reading out of my preferred genres here, mostly because I got this book as a gift and there's little else to read--but the Christmas Comet and Stroke of Midnight, from what I did read of them, just came off as sappy.

Now the first story, "Taken in Death" by J.D. Robb/Nora R
Ceelee Sunshine
May 05, 2014 Ceelee Sunshine rated it liked it
Shelves: popular-fiction
Mirror Mirror is a collection of five short stories with the theme of magic and loosely based on a fairy tale. J D Robb is the most recognizable of the five authors included in the collection. Each story is approximately 80-90 pages long. J D Robb continues her "In Death" series with the story "Taken In Death". The fairy tale she chose is "Hansel and Gretel" which I found predictable but to her credit she stuck to the essence of the fairy tale better than the others. I liked how they found the k ...more
Robin Lynne Rogers
this book has 5 stories based on fairy tales with jd robb's being the best one. the other stores are worth reading once but frankly i'll probably never read them again. they were (although some had a unique take on their fairy tale) kind of predictable and a bit silly.
Lizzie
Apr 11, 2014 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
I give 5 stars for the J.D. Robb novella. In any of these anthologies with J.D. Robb stories I haven't ever read the other stories. I get it specifically for the "In Death" novella.

Saying that, Taken in Death was a great little addition to the series. At the beginning a nanny was murdered, then the twins she was watching were abducted. The boy in the pair believed they were drugged by an evil witch. Dallas gets a freaky real version of the Hansel and Gretal fairy tale.

This was a quick 10 chapt
L8blmr
Apr 08, 2016 L8blmr rated it really liked it
Full of stories inspired by classic fairy tales, this is one of the better anthologies that includes an "...in Death half," as I call those novelettes by Robb that fall in between the books in her long-running, highly successful series. Her offering was the darkest of the bunch but another classic, though abbreviated, Eve and gang adventure. I was pleasantly surprised, and charmed by Elaine Fox's and R.C. Ryan's stories, based on "Sleeping Beauty" and "Cinderella," respectively. As far as the ot ...more
Heather
Feb 17, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the Robb story, Taken in Death which was very good. The whole book is a take on fairy tales and Robb's story is about Hansel and Gretel. Love Eve and Roarke.
En
Sep 28, 2013 En rated it liked it
Enjoyed the JD Robb portion of Mirror, Mirror. The rest of the authors, not so much. Good thing I only purchased the book to find out how Eve Dallas solved her latest crime.
Melissa Namba
Jan 05, 2014 Melissa Namba rated it liked it
Taken in Death-
I haven't read anything by JD Robb before (I consider him an airplane book writer) but this story was actually OK. It was fairly predictable and there wasn't a lot of suspense in it, but it still a nice quick read. So it seems that he IS an airplane book writer, but he a good one. I would have liked to have a lot more in terms of the psychology of the sister and more character development.
If Wishes Were Horses-
I haven't read anything by Mary Blaley but I assumed she was in the sa
Jenny
Apr 10, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
These anthologies coordinated by JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts) are typically the same: the JD Robb story is the standout. I think she's the best writer and the stories have the advantage of using already established characters so there's no need for big introductions, setting a stage, etc.

I like the fairytale-based concept. However, I think romance short stories tend to fail for me a bit bc it's so rushed. There's not enough time for me to really believe in the romance sprouting up, probably bc I d
Susan
Jun 17, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed JD Robb’s version of Hansel and Gretel. I can’t say the same for the rest of the stories.
Tatiana
Jan 08, 2015 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, I liked most of these stories. They were sweet, well told, and left the heart mostly warmed before going to sleep. Some of them took longer than the others to pick up on the fairy tale references. While I enjoy the concept of re-writing fairy tales, I now feel it has been done enough and hope the authors move on to new, slightly more adventurous pursuits. I did enjoy each story. Whereas in compilations, I usually really like the feature author and perhaps one other and am bored wit ...more
Fedora
Feb 01, 2014 Fedora rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories inspired by fairy tales.

J.D. Robb's is set in the Eve Dallas universe, and while I haven't read her In Death series, I was able to enjoy this story as a stand-alone.

I loved Ms. Blayney's story called If Wishes Were Horses. It's a charming historical with a bit of paranormal.

Ms. Fox's Beauty, Sleeping was also a pleasure to read--a great interpretation of the Sleeping Beauty story.

Ms. McComas's take on the matchstick girl was enjoyable, as was Ms. Ryan's spin on Cinder
Into the Forest: Mirror Mirror 2 13 Sep 29, 2013 06:43AM
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas (Includes: Bullet Catcher, #2.5)
  • The Fragile Flag (Hall Family Chronicles #5)
  • Bespelling Jane Austen
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Snowbound Wedding Wishes: An Earl Beneath the Mistletoe\Twelfth Night Proposal\Christmas at Oakhurst Manor
  • Six gothic tales
  • Unbound (Time Hunters #2.5, Shifters Unbound #4.5, The Elementals #1.5)
  • Eight Spells a Week (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #17)
  • Project Unicorn, Volume 1: 30 Young Adult Short Stories Featuring Lesbian Heroines
  • Once for All Time  (Harlequin Romance,  2666)
  • Heart Fire (Celta's Heartmates, #13)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Martha, I wonder if you can ever truly know someone you love until you have been married near forever.” It was Martha’s turn for an encouraging nod. “Loving someone and coming to know them better,” Jack went on, “I think that will be an adventure all its own.” 0 likes