Wool

Wool (Wool #1-5)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  57,721 ratings  ·  7,386 reviews
For suspense-filled, post-apocalyptic thrillers, Wool is more than a self-published eBook phenomenon; i's the new standard in classic science fiction.

In a ruined and toxic future, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them. Sheriff Holston, who h...more
Hardcover, Omnibus Edition, 509 pages
Published March 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 25th 2012)

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanOut of the Easy by Ruta SepetysTell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka BruntThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe New Hunger by Isaac Marion
My Favorite Book Covers Selection, Part 2
30th out of 103 books — 4 voters
The Priest by Monica La PortaOryx and Crake by Margaret AtwoodThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins1984 by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Dystopian Books
17th out of 40 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Cass
There are two stupid things about this book, neither have to do with the writing. The writing is good, the story is original, I highly recommend this book.

Let's address the stupid things.
The name is stupid. It is like a garage band was after a clever name. There are no sheep in this book, there is no wool in this book. There is one tiny insignificant piece where a character is knitting but she isn't even using wool, she knits with cotton. Given the subtitles are all knitting related (unravel,...more
Nataliya
This is the review for the entire Wool pentalogy (my new favorite word, btw). Wool introduces us to a postapocalyptic world where survivors of whatever disaster that made the outside uninhabitable huddle underground in a giant "silo" that houses hundreds of people. As we can predict, the disaster was man-made (*). (view spoiler)
(*) "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Dec 04, 2013 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dystopia fans, revolutionaries, thoughtful fantasists
Forget Wool. This should have been called Forge.
description
Writing that's a power-punch to the gut. Direct, slow build of heat, singeing as it suddenly roars into flame. A world that feels solid, heavy, hard-edged, soldered with characters that are heated and molded into something new. This isn't knitting a scarf so much as forging a steel chain.

I absolutely love the character of Juliette, determined, essentially elemental, a person that rocks my character world. I love how all her metaphors are mechanical...more
Trudi

Outstanding!

WOOL began its life as a self-published short novella in July of 2011. That's hard to believe. I feel like I've been hearing about this thing for ages and ages.

So I'm late to the party, but not that late. Due to excited reader response over WOOL 1, author Hugh Howey quickly released the next four parts in the series. Then came along this Omnibus which collects Parts 1-5. There is now a 2013 edition with a great new cover that features a blurb by none other than Justin Cronin, author...more
Dan Schwent
Maciek
I don't get the hype.

If you'd judge a book by its rating on Goodreads and Amazon, you should consider Wool to be a science fiction miracle - the vast majority of Goodreaders gave it 5 stars, and on Amazon it currently holds an astonishing 3,740 five star reviews - with new ones appearing every day. Wool seems to be a prodigious child of a next Asimov or Heinlein, destined to last for decades and inspire generations of readers and writers.

What's even more interesting is that Wool began its life...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Good story, but OMG, did we REALLY need 500 pages to tell it?! So much of the "story" is just Juliette spending chapters getting into and out of clothes and airlocks, it was about ready to drive me nuts. Could be a superb story minus about 200 pages.

And because of that, it's doubtful I'll pursue the rest of the series. There's a good internet saying for this:

tl;dr

Too long; didn't read

Sums up how I feel pretty well.

Full Review:

It is some unspecified time in the future; people live i...more
Veronica Belmont
Some books take a while to dig into. The first few chapters set up the story, introduce you to the main characters and build a framework for the tale to come.

Wool sets up the story too, but in a heartbreaking and gripping way that has you consuming the book as quickly as possible, if only to learn the answer to: "that's not really about to happen, is it?"

There are moments in Wool when I wondered if maybe the book was too dark. I mourned for characters and didn't know how they would possibly get...more
Arah-Lynda
Apr 08, 2014 Arah-Lynda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arah-Lynda by: Arah-Leah Hay
Shelves: top, i-said
Hugh Howey paints a world, or what is left of one post apocalypse, with an eye for detail that is easily visualized; one that you can descend into and inhabit.

This is epic storytelling, told with a taut hand on the tiller, controlling the pace and direction, allowing the reader to uncover truths together with the many, care worthy, relatable characters that populate this place. I blinked a couple of times and found myself entrenched in this world. And it all seems so effortless, the narrative fl...more
Gary
Kaila
This is going to end up being one of those books I force on all my friends, insisting that they read it immediately. I loved it and can't wait for more.

Please see my full reviews of the stories:

Wool 1
Wool 2: Proper Gauge
Wool 3: Casting Off
Wool 4: The Unraveling
Wool 5: The Stranded

Now go read this! You won't regret it!

Update May 13, 2012:

Hugh Howey has announced over on his blog that his self-published book Wool has been acquired by Fox! I couldn't be happier for him, and I am so excited for the...more
Damali
Wool tells the story of a group of people living in an underground bunker with over 100 floors. Just talking about what's on the outside, or a desire for any change in their situation is considered treason, and may cause them to be sent for Cleaning. Cleaning is when the condemned person cleans the windows so the people can get a clearer view of the world outside. This series has Twilight Zone written all over it, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't end in a Twllight Zone-type fashion.

Wool One, 4...more
Jonathan

There are many books that deny the hype and expectations associated with them. To a degree Wool is one of these books in that it is both better and worse than hype would inform you. Regardless it is a brilliant modern dystopian novel, a modern work with style and ideas similar to those seen in Ray Bradbury or George Orwell. When other readers try and argue that The Hunger Games or Divergent are the best modern dystopian novels, Wool is the novel that you point them to for correction.

This novel c...more
Willow
I loved Wool!

Not that the title is that great. I realize Howey used the word ‘wool’ to symbolize a thick cloud of deception that encompasses his grim and terrifying world, but the word has other meanings like sheep and itchy sweaters that I think detracts from the sharpness of this fantastic story. Don’t be fooled though, this is a wildly imaginative and thoughtful tale. I enjoyed it a lot.

Howey is an excellent writer and has several things going for him. One is his vivid characters and rich di...more
Alex Duncan
Wool...

This must-read work of dystopian fiction happens in a ruined and toxic landscape where a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a mysterious and controlling civilization that is full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them.

I wasn't sold on this one immediately, and I wasn't certain whether or not I should purchase it. In the end I'm really glad that I gave it a go as it's such a wonderful story and interesting se...more
SJ
I feel as though I really need to go to confession before I start this review. Bless me for I have sinned...I initially gave Wool #1 a 3 star rating.

I did! I know. I know! I need to hang my head in shame. Please forgive me!

Here's the deal. Someone mentioned the first book in this series was seriously discounted or possibly completely free. I picked it up. I read a few pages. I was HOOKED BEYOND BELIEF. Then, the book ended. I didn't know the book was a sequel, assumed it was a novella, and was...more
Mark Souza
Wool Omnibus creates an absorbing dystopian world of oppression and treachery. The inhabitants of this world live underground in a silo, the outside world above ground is hostile and toxic, a world they can only see on video screens. The political climate is almost as poisonous as that outside. Those who voice their unhappiness are sent to cleaning, a death sentence where offenders are sent outside in airtight suits with a limited oxygen supply to clean the sensors which project a view of the ou...more
Lynxie

verb

Definition:
amuse, delight

Synonyms:
bowl over, break one up, charm, cheer, crack up, entertain, go over big, kill*, knock dead, knock someone's socks off, make laugh, make roll in the aisles, slay, tickle, tickle pink, tickle to death

Review:
I don't even have a more eloquent way of saying that. It's the only thing I can really say about Wool.

Hugh Howey paints a vivid picture of a world that is so stark, it's deadly. What started out as a rather in-your-f...more
Brendon Schrodinger
I have had a few reservations that have prevented me from reading 'Wool' sooner. Firstly the old 'if it's popular it can't be that good'; works for Dan Brown and to a degree 'The Hunger Games', but it worked against 'Harry Potter'. Secondly, self-published author made good: hello 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. Thirdly, a post-apocalyptic tale from a sealed community; been done to death, even in the gaming world with the'Fallout' series.

What could 'Wool' possibly offer to a cynic like me?

Sure it didn't...more
Rob
Executive Summary: While I feel only the first story works by itself the 5 stories as a collection make for an excellent novel that shouldn't be missed.

Full Review
I first heard about Wool sometime last year as it gaining momentum, but before Mr. Howey had signed the print deal. It's become a pretty trendy pick as of late, and Sword and Laser chose it for the May pick this year.

While this is technically 5 connected stories, I think it reads much better as a novel. I think only the first story is...more
Jim
It was a 3.5 read, rounding up because it was self published with excellent editing & formatting, as good as any of the Big 6 publishers put out.

Apparently this was published in 5 parts, the first a short story that was haunting. The second was OK & it got better with each episode until the final piece, much longer than the first, was hard to put down.

I've read a lot of post apocalyptic SF & was surprised at how new & different this was in many ways. It actually surprised me at o...more
Derek
So now I know what all the fuss was about. I didn't think this book could live up to all the hype, but it did.

WARNING This book is more addictive than crack, smack & crank combined. If you're not prepared to spend every second of your spare time with your face in this book, don't pick it up.

CAUTION If you're wary of books that make you feel uncomfortable, don't read this. Paranoia, desperation & helplessness ooze out of the pages like a never ending panic attack. I've lived in an undergr...more
Penny
This has everything you need in a good book - great characters, an interesting setting, deep questions, high stakes, mystery, conspiracy and fantastic writing. I can't recommend it enough.

Although the plot was great it wasn't the best part of this series for me. The questions surrounding human nature and how best to manipulate it were far more interesting. Hugh Howey delivers complex ideas with just the right pacing to make them stick. I'll be ruminating on this one for a while yet.
byeol
Part 1 - Wool ★★★☆☆
One does not simply call their wife "baby" (or "honey"). Minus one star for me not being able to tolerate grown, sensible men calling grown, intelligent women ridiculous pet names. Else a quick read with some twists that manages to pull you in despite its short length and relative little world building (yet). Looking forward for more to come!

Part 2 - Proper Gauge ★★☆☆☆
Rather slow in the beginning, catching up speed in the last third, with some interesting meditations on and in...more
Rachel (BAVR)
5 stars - Holy shit, SO MANY 5 STARS.

As my GR friends know, it's rare that I squee over a book. Probably because I read mostly crap. It's cool. I can admit it.

Wool is not one of those crappy books. It's the best work I've seen from a new author in a long time, not to mention the best work I've read from a self-published author yet. Howey's books are now on my must-read list.

I don't want to give away too much about the plot because a majority of my reading enjoyment came from the way Howey unra...more
Louise
You know that feeling you get when you finish a really great book and you want to shout about it from the highest mountain and tell everyone you know to read it? Yeah, that's me right now.

The Wool Omnibus is *the* way to read this series of stories. Once I read Wool #1, I couldn't stop. Good thing I bought the omnibus! Wool is about the people who live in a sealed silo that goes for more than a hundred levels below Earth because the surface of Earth is toxic and uninhabitable.

What happens when t...more
Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper
Okay, this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I found this to be an entertaining read in the 3.5-4 star range. Other than having an amazing first name, Howey managed to find a way to make the usual, post appocalyptic scenarios fresh even using old themes.

Best of all, is the world building, which, followed a lot of "tropes" yet, managed to be different than what I expected, in a good way. The ladders, stairwells, pipe and cable filled passageways of the "Silos" reminded me of life aboard ship...more
Pam (E.P. Scott)
There are so many things I could write about this book but the review would be long... really long.

It stirred my emotions (all of them, hundreds of them, all at once - it was quite exhausting at times), made me think that, perhaps as a society, we're already standing on the precipice and peering over to see if the fall will kill us or if we'll be lucky enough to land on that outcropping called salvation.

As time has passed, so many have written, fictionalized, about the darker side of humanity.

A...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was going to pace myself reading this, but the first story was so good that I just couldn't stop. There are five stories contained within the omnibus, with linked characters within the same post-apocalyptic underground silo. The people have been living in this silo for hundreds of years, it isn't safe to leave, and their greatest danger is an uprising.

Each section ends with a bit of a shocker, and it made me want to keep reading. I actually think the last one (view spoiler)...more
Carolyn
Yes! Now this is what sci fi should be! Tantalizing to the brain, great prose from page one, somewhat depressing, and FULL of heart above all things. A real throw-back to the golden age. I am about half way through, and I am thrilled by it! But I won't star it 'til I'm done.

Highly addictive. I recommend it to anyone who yearns for the yesteryears of sci fi. Yes, there is some sadness, yes there is some violence, but there is great hope throughout, and this ends on a very, very optimistic note......more
Pro-Active Destru...: Buddy Read Wool Omnibus 1-5 begins July 28th. 9 7 Jul 23, 2014 08:22PM
The Book Addicts!: Buddy Read of Wool- July 5th 57 53 Jul 19, 2014 12:40PM
The Club of Books: What do you think of Wool? 1 7 Jun 02, 2014 06:04PM
Goodreads Choice ...: Wool Omnibus - April 19, 2014 50 83 May 29, 2014 11:15AM
Not a YA book! 24 552 May 07, 2014 03:49PM
  • The Runner
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • The Old Man and the Wasteland
  • Yesterday's Gone: Season One
  • The Sky Used to be Blue: a Silo story (Karma)
  • Nexus (Nexus, #1)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
  • Pump Six and Other Stories
  • Complete Atopia Chronicles (Atopia Chronicles 1-6)
  • Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • The Martian
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified...more
More about Hugh Howey...
Wool (Wool, #1) Shift (Silo, #2) Dust (Silo, #3) First Shift: Legacy (Shift, #1) Second Shift: Order (Shift, #2)

“He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.” 18 likes
“Even in the darkness, his smile threw shadows.” 10 likes