Start by marking “Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)” as Want to Read:
Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)

Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country #8)

Love Is Only A Letter Away

So what if Joann Yoder's Amish community deems her a spinster? She's content to stay single. In the meantime, she's working hard to finally buy her dream house. So it's problematic when she's fired from her job to make room for the owner's nephew, Roman Weaver. His blue eyes aside, she simply can't stand him! Good thing she has the secret letters
Paperback, Large Print, 288 pages
Published May 21st 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Plain Admirer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plain Admirer

Restless Hearts by Marta PerryHome Sweet Home by Kim WattersSmall-Town Moms by Janet TronstadMerry's Christmas by Susan RohrerThe Shepherd's Bride by Patricia Davids
Best Love Inspired Books
11th out of 48 books — 30 voters
Carolina Home by Virginia KantraRising Tides by Nora RobertsCatch of the Day by Kristan HigginsThe Trouble With Valentine's Day by Rachel GibsonChristmas on Conrad Street by Marcia Evanick
Fishermen and Fishing Romance
6th out of 44 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Guy
Patricia Davids writes really lovely Amish romance. These aren't books like Beverly Lewis or Wanda Brunstetter. These stories are love stories. Readers already know Joann from the last book.

This book is about two seemingly opposite personalities attracting...but as you read the story, you find out that Joann and Roman really aren't all that opposite at all.

I loved how they each took little jabs at each other. You could really understand it from Joann's point of view. She was being ousted from a
Paula
Lovely Amish romance. Roman and Joann were such endearing characters. Enjoyed learning about the Amish way of life. I loved how Roman and Joann connected through their letter writing and began to care for each other, with either one not knowing who their mysterious pen pal was. Wonderful book!
Rhonda
Mar 21, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
4 STARS

I liked Plain Admirer. Joann is fiesty character. It would be hard to change where you lived every four months.
Joann has three older brothers with the youngest is 15 years older than her. They were never close to her. When their parents died the three brothers decided that Joann would live with each brother for four months than rotate. Now she is 26 things are
improving with her life. She is getting ready to buy a little house for herself when she is fired. To make room for the
owner's nep
June
Sep 02, 2013 June rated it it was amazing
Roman weaver was crippled in a car accident. He is no longer able to work in his fathers sawmill safely. His uncle runs a publishing company and offers him a job. Only he doesn't know that the lady who teaches him how to do everything is being forced from her job to make room for him. Slowly they learn to get along and work together, although sometimes its very difficult. A very good story of acceptance and learning God's will.
Kathy Eberly
Jul 13, 2013 Kathy Eberly rated it it was amazing
I haven't read many Amish stories but this title and story line caught my eye and I decided to read it. I enjoyed this sweet love story. The characters are well crafted and the plot is good. I enjoyed watching the relationship progress and kept reading to the end. It was that good. I look forward to reading the next book by Patricia Davids.
Audrey Henning
Apr 13, 2014 Audrey Henning rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable book! I'm used to reading Amish books by Beverly Lewis, but this was a nice change. It was a very quick, easy read and I really loved the main character Joann. She has a personality that makes you root for her from the start.
Anne
May 27, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing
Love's it. Patricia Davis has a way of weaving a story together to keep you reading. This Amish love story has twists and turns that made me stay up way too late.
Cinzia
May 20, 2013 Cinzia rated it really liked it
È il primo libro romance ambientato in una comunità Amish che leggo e devo dire che mi è piaciuto molto. Mi ha sempre affascinato la loro concezione di vita, che è molto diversa dalla mia e in ogni aspetto, così quando ho letto la trama del libro mi sono detta: perché no?
È una storia molto bella e romantica, con due protagonisti che mi sono piaciuti molto.

L'amore è distante solo una lettera. Cosa potrebbe succedere allora a Joann Yoder, la zitella della comunità Amish? Lei è felice di essere una
Nancy Crocker
Jun 10, 2013 Nancy Crocker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Plain Admirer by Patricia Davids; Takes place in Hope Springs, Ohio in the middle of Amish Country. The author does a wonderful job of writing the scenes to the point you feel you are riding in a horse drawn cart, fishing on a lake or in a printing office learning how to use typeset.

Joann Yodar, a confirmed spinster dreams of owning her own home. Owning her own home is just within her reach when she is fired from her job to make way for the owners Nephew. Before she leaves in two weeks time she
Clare O'Beara
Mar 15, 2015 Clare O'Beara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: america-romance
Joann Yoder is being let go from her job at an Amish publishing house because the owner's nephew Roman needs a job. He's only worked in a sawmill, but he's sustained a paralysed arm, and a man gets work before a woman. Joann is single at twenty-six, living with her brother's family and wishing for a home of her own. But if she can't earn well how can she be independent?

Roman frets at not being able to do a proper man's job and knows nothing about publishing. His family asked for the job as a fav
Julie
Apr 28, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Plain Admirer by Patricia Davids.

Joann Yoder, a single Amish woman was working at Miller Press for 5 months and loved it! Then her boss, Otis Miller, lets her know that she is being fired. He needed the spot for his nephew, Roman Weaver to come in to work. Joann was not happy. She loved her job of being an assistant editor and office manager. What to do? She ends up going back to her old part-time job in the bookstore and also as cleaning lady for Miller Press. Her dreams of be
TAMMY CUEVAS
May 08, 2013 TAMMY CUEVAS rated it really liked it
Since the death of her parents, Joann has accepted her life as the family spinster. Working at a local print shop, she hopes to save enough money to purchase her own home. But when the business owner decides to help his injured nephew, Joann not only loses her job, but is asked to teach her successor how to fill her position. She finds solace in her secret pen pal relationship with an anonymous man who leaves letters at her favorite fishing spot. Joann must decide whether to meet this man and ...more
Paula-O
May 31, 2015 Paula-O rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading books by Patricia Davids, got this one from library and read quickly as most of the amish stories do.
This author told the story of Roman and how after an accident which left his arm and shoulder badly torn, he stayed to himself and was dissapointed he could not do as much at his father's sawmill.
An uncle offered him a job at printing office where he displaced a young woman that desperately wanted to keep the job she loved and buy a home for herself so she would not have to
Abbie
Joann has been living with her older brothers for 6 months at a time for years and wants to finally have a home of her own and she is close to reaching that dream when she loses her job to the bosses nephew and the worst part is she has to teach the new guy her job. As she struggles to get along with him she starts writing letters to a mystery fisherman down at the lake. Could she finally find love after all these years?

This is a long running series and the 2nd I have had a chance to read.

What
Ellen
spent time at each of the homes. So, as she cycled between her brothers' homes, Joann dreamed her own dreams: home ownership and fishing. She is content with staying single as long as she has her job at the Amish publisher and her new fishing pole. To top it off, she feels inferior to the other unmarried women; she describes herself as plain. Yet, she is far from it!

Patricia Davids has written a wonderful Amish story which gives the reader an insight into their lives. The Amish feel family is a
Maggie
Jun 13, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
Joann lives between the homes of her three brothers, who have been looking out for her since her parents died. She is also very smart, industrious, and loves to fish. Working for a local printer, she learns she is about to lose her job to her boss' injured nephew and has to train him to take over her position. Roman used to work for his family sawmill, but his damaged shoulder and arm prevent that from happening, so he takes his uncle up on his offer. Joann and Roman don't know they share a love ...more
Janine
Jul 03, 2013 Janine rated it really liked it
"Plain Admirer" is a wonderful You Got Mail like tale with an Amish twist. I thoroughly enjoyed the story with the friction that happened and the dilemma that each faced.

Joann is a woman who is strong of faith, but also suffers from low self esteem at times. She knows what she needs to do when it comes to work, and how she lives her fishing.

Roman is facing a cross roads in life, which frankly I think anyone would if faced the same problems. He cares deeply for his family and is willing to do wha
Yazmin
Jun 04, 2013 Yazmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Plain Admirer by Patricia Davids, Joann Yoder knows that she can only hope to save herself from any more pain. As an Amish woman she must do as their religion tells her, but after her the death of her parents and being parceled around every four months between her three brothers’ homes she is tired of not having a home of her own. They decide what is best for her and do not even ask her opinion, and of course they do not appreciate that she is a smart woman who likes to read and study. But ...more
Trea
Aug 31, 2013 Trea rated it liked it
Shelves: challenges-2013
This was a quick and somewhat interesting read, but some of it just seemed implausible to me. From what I know of the Amish, they look to the inner worth of a person first, and almost never to their looks. If that is truly the case, then why is there the concept of a Maiden Aunt? The heroine may be a bookworm and an accomplished fisherwoman, but if you spend 5 minutes with her, you can easily see her redeeming qualities. To have all the men in her community ignore her so completely just does not ...more
Brenda
Nov 26, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
This was a unique book, with a concept I've never read before in another book. A set of circumstances make Roman and Joann pen pals, the thing is, they don't they are writing to each other. So they are secretly complaining about each other, to, well, each other. Its funny and not at all romantic, the letters are very friendly, helpful...like I said the story is unique

Reason for the 4 stars: Typos that were so obvious that someone should have caught them, like at one one point in the book Esta Ba
IrenesBookReviews
Sep 26, 2013 IrenesBookReviews rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and gave it a 4/5 star rating. I liked the independence of the main female character, Joann. The way she speaks to others and especially to the other main character, Roman, makes her likeable. She comes across as intelligent and therefore you want to cheer for her to succeed. Roman was not as likeable but did help make the story entertaining. My favorite part of the book was the letter writing. You don’t see that in many books anymore and it really added to the story! ...more
Lynda
Sep 21, 2013 Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
An enjoyable fast read of Amish romance book. The story development and writing moved this book to four stars. The weakest for me in the female character was that she did little to know work in the house or garden. Yes, she had a full-time job. BUT she is not English. She is Amish. And that would not have "saved" her from the women's role in an Amish household. And CERTAINLY would have been expected to assist on Saturday with the baking before church or visiting Sunday.

But that should not stop
Tole
Sep 07, 2016 Tole rated it it was amazing
First time reading Patricia Davids books. This one was an excellent read. Looking forward to more of her books.
Romantic Reads and Such
Sep 21, 2013 Romantic Reads and Such rated it really liked it
Honestly I love these Love Inspired books about the Amish because the romance is almost always tender and wholesome, while readers are given a quiet peek into the lives of the Amish as a family and a community. Plain Admirer is a sweet look at a man and a woman trying to find their place in the world and with each other. - Full review available at http://romanticreadsandsuch.wordpress...
Carolyn E
Jun 14, 2013 Carolyn E rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, although I don't think it was quite as good as some of the other books in this series. (I particularly liked The Farmer Next Door.) Still the entire series is good. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Amish fiction. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Janie  R. Freeman
Aug 27, 2014 Janie R. Freeman rated it it was amazing

A really sweet story, it reminds me of the saying-"beauty is only skin deep". One of the main characters has always considered herself as not pretty, she is a maidel-considered an old maid in the Amish culture. What happens that changes her self-image? One of the traits of this character, that made me laugh out loud throughout the story was her great sense of humor! A most enjoyable story!
Harlequin Books
"A descriptive setting and chacters embody the Amish concept of accepting everything, including tragedy and loss, as God's will - a concept difficult for many Englischers to understand, but one Davids conveys skillfully." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Miniseries: Brides of Amish Country
Category: Inspirational Romance
Ruth
Jul 20, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone liking stories of the Amish
"Plain Admirer" by Patricia Davids, is another great Amish novel in the Brides of Amish Country series. Even though it is a member of the series, it can also be read as a stand alone book. Wonderful story with lots of excitement, love, hope and faith. I highly recommend this book to everyone liking stories of the Amish.
Kate
Aug 29, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
This was one of Patricia Davids' funnier books, I think. I liked Joann's sassiness: especially how sometimes she wished she could snatch words back as soon as she'd spoken them. And, somehow, Roman's gruffness didn't grate on the nerves, but was endearing. Definitely a case of 's/he annoys me so much' turning into 'how did I grow to love THEM???' Very cute story.
Ruth F. Creamer
Nov 12, 2015 Ruth F. Creamer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plain admirer

This was a good book. Like most in this series, you know the two main characters are going to find their way to each other, but the twists and turns that it takes are very interesting. A good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Montana Dreams
  • A Wedding for Julia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #3)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • Katie's Choice (Clover Ridge, #2)
  • Promised To Another (Amish of Seymour County, #3)
  • Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family, #2)
  • Rosemary Opens Her Heart (Home at Cedar Creek, #2)
  • A Hope for Hannah (Hannah's Heart, #2)
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • A Simple Prayer (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel, #4)
I was born and raised in Northcentral Kansas. I'm a farmer's daughter, but I now make my home in the city of Wichita. I'm an RN. Neonatal nursing has been the main focus of my career. What can I say? I love babies. I was invited to the highschool graduation of a baby I took care of. Talk about making me feel old!

In June of 2011 I became a widow after my husband of 36 years and 11 months died from
More about Patricia Davids...

Brides of Amish Country (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
  • The Doctor's Blessing (Brides of Amish Country, #2)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • The Farmer Next Door (Brides of Amish Country, #4)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5)
  • A Home for Hannah (Brides of Amish Country, #6)
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • Amish Christmas Joy (Brides of Amish Country, #9)
  • The Shepherd's Bride (Brides of Amish Country, #10)
  • The Amish Nanny (Brides of Amish Country, #11)