Start by marking “The Kafenion” as Want to Read:
The Kafenion

The Kafenion

An exclusive free ebook short story. 'The Kafenion' is one of ten stories inspired by Greece by million-copy bestselling author Victoria Hislop, and collected together in her new book, The Last Dance and Other Stories. It's a poignant tale of family and music set a small Greek village. Two brothers battle over the future of their family's café, watched in sadness by their ...more
Published December 20th 2012 by Headline (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Kafenion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kafenion

Melissa
Jun 14, 2016 Melissa rated it it was ok
All The Kafenion really has going for it is atmosphere. Hislop has a huge talent when it comes to evoking Greece, particularly through tastes and textures, but this bite-sized morsel is too minuscule for substance.

In it, we encounter twins with wildly differing ideas over business ownership, to the point that their mother performs a King Solomon and splits the family kafenion down the middle. There's a fable-like quality to it, and it fulfilled its purpose for me in occupying the last twenty min
Damaskcat
Jan 04, 2013 Damaskcat rated it liked it
The Kafenion has been run by two generations of the same family so far. But when twin sons take it over they are in competition with each other. Can anyone persuade the brothers to work together rather than against each other?

This is a charming short story which is a satisfying quick read with a moral to it, though the moral is not overdone. Recommended if you like short stories and/or Victoria Hislop.
Denise
Jan 02, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
I had no idea this was a short story, so the sudden ending came as quite a surprise, but it really made me want to read more by Victoria Hislop. (Yes! Ian's wife!) While you aren't blown away by dreamy, beautiful language, she is an honest to goodness story teller. The story is set in Crete, and she gives you a vivid picture of what the Kafenion looks like, and what it must feel like to sit there and enjoy your afternoon. I'm really excited about discovering this and I'm off to find more!
Julia
May 05, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok
I was a bit disappointed really. I haven't read anything by Victoria Hislop before but I'd heard good reports.

In this story, there seemed to be a lot of build-up and not much in the way of action. I can't quite put my finger on it but I just didn't find it moved along satisfactorily, and the ending was too abrupt for my liking.
Shar
Lovely short story by Victoria Hislop, beautifully descriptive. My only negative is I wish it had been longer would have loved to see the development of the characters over time but great all the same
Aunty Janet
Jan 28, 2013 Aunty Janet rated it it was ok
This story confirms my preference for novels over short stories. Unless the story has a really good 'twist' to the ending, the story is not long enough for me to 'get into' it and for the characters to develop. This felt like an unsatisfying snack rather than a proper story to get my teeth into!
Jasmine
Mar 12, 2013 Jasmine rated it did not like it
This story reminds me of one of Aesop's Fables read to me when I was a child. The Kafenion wasn't for me as I prefer my reading to have substance even for a short story. It was rather juvenile.
Sunnyhols44
Jul 21, 2013 Sunnyhols44 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story which evokes Greece well. The characters are believable and it's an easy, enjoyable read.
Maria
May 04, 2016 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book-on-ibooks
I prefer the other books by the author as I like to get to know the characters these stories were too short.
Antoshka
Apr 05, 2015 Antoshka rated it it was ok
I am greek, living in Greece, so the atmosphere of the stories was pretty familliar to me. However, I was really disapointed, I didn't like the book!
L
Jun 21, 2013 L rated it it was ok
Con los comentarios que había visto sobre la autora me esperaba algo mucho mejor. Es una historia breve con un final muy abrupto.
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Eliana Siaili
Eliana Siaili rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
j a henderson
j a henderson rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Mandy Gardner
Mandy Gardner rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
SC
SC rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2015
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Richard West
Richard West rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Katie Grey
Katie Grey rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Lisa Caron Walker
Lisa Caron Walker rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Miss
Miss rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
lynne oates
lynne oates rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Cathy Wood
Cathy Wood rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Susan House
Susan House rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
malanmorgan
malanmorgan rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Dalit Avnon
Dalit Avnon rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Layann Owen
Layann Owen rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2013
Chantal Ford
Chantal Ford rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Lynn Collison
Lynn Collison rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
  • In a New York Minute
  • From the Heart
  • To Turn Full Circle
  • Brief Encounters
  • Head Over Heels
  • The Robber Bridegroom (Little Black Classics, #68)
  • My Mother's Wedding
  • Picture Imperfect
  • Out on a Limb
  • Bone And Cane
  • The Vienna Melody
Victoria Hislop read English at Oxford, and worked in publishing, PR and as a journalist before becoming a novelist. She is married with two children.

Her first novel, The Island, held the number one slot in the Sunday Times paperback charts for eight consecutive weeks and has sold over two million copies worldwide. Victoria was the Newcomer of the Year at the Galaxy British Book Awards 2007 and wo
More about Victoria Hislop...