Start by marking “Anything Can Happen” as Want to Read:
Anything Can Happen

Anything Can Happen

Published December 1st 1985 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1945)

Jan
Jan 16, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this book this week. Heartbreakingly lovely and a reminder to stay honest and fair - no matter what others do. It's been many years since I have read this. My copy was published in 1945, I think.
Elizabethtabor
Nov 30, 2013 Elizabethtabor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book has been a favorite of mine for over a decade. I read it about once a year. This is one of the few books I own that have me laughing out loud consistently as I read. I have learned that I need to be careful where I read this book! He's sweet and honest and funny and kind. It's a wonderful book and following the colloquialism is half the fun.
Cindy Griffin
This is the story of George Papashvily, a Georgian immigrant to the United States. His story begins at Ellis Island and continues through one experience after another. The story is told with a sense of humor as Mr. Papashvily discovers that America may not exactly be the land flowing with milk and honey. This is a fun, short read.
Gavin
Sep 06, 2008 Gavin rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing. If anybody forgets why it is great to live in this country just read this book. I found it a random on my book shelf.
Karly Det ♡
Sep 16, 2013 Karly Det ♡ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
walking through the corridor of the university library when i saw this old book, i took it and started reading just standing there...., two pages and..... it got me.
Katya
Feb 26, 2008 Katya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Such a pleasurable read! It's about a Georgian immigrant and his story of adopting to life in America, funny and moving. Be aware, descriptions of Georgian food can make you crave a good shashlyk.
Natalya
This made me giggle and smile and cry. A heart warming account of an immigrant's experience in the United States.
Danielle
Sep 29, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it 4.5. One of those books that is fun and easy to read. I even laughed out loud a time or three. A Georgian immigrant's story told with honesty and humor.
Leta
Jun 30, 2008 Leta rated it really liked it
A charming story of an optimistic immigrant learning to fit in in his new country and sometimes fitting his new country to the old one. The last two chapters are not to be missed.
Robyn
Jul 28, 2011 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, humorous, thoughtful... thoroughly enjoyed it!
Jessica
Sep 09, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hope this delightful little gem of a book gets reprinted soon. I got mine a library book sale.
Rob Roy
Aug 16, 2009 Rob Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical, humor
I remember this book as funny and tear jerking.
Adam Levine
Jul 24, 2010 Adam Levine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books ever; heart warming, humorous, enjoyable for young and old.
Barb
Aug 04, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barb by: Kathy Ornellas
Unfortunately, this book is currently out of print. However, you may be able to obtain a cheap, ancient, used copy, or you may find one tucked away at your local library. But, this is a sweet gem of a read. It is a wonderful telling of the immigrant experience.

Georgi Papashvily is from Georgia - not the state, the country. He arrives in the United States poor, young and unable to speak English. How many of our grandparents and parents had a similar experience? And, how many of our current immigr
Kathryn Judson
Dec 14, 2013 Kathryn Judson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ran across a 1945 fourth edition of this book, one with a Buy War Bonds appeal on the back of the dust jacket. I wasn't familiar with it, so read a few pages, and was hooked. A delightful, lively, heartrending, funny, original, clean but not PC book, showcasing America, warts and all, from the perspective of an immigrant who lives life with zest, won't compromise on conscience, and readily laughs at himself. The author and I aren't in agreement on a few things, but it's his life, and his book, ...more
Marti
Jan 21, 2016 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, immigrants
Very cute book about a Russian man who immigrates to America in the early part of the 1900's. I originally thought it was a novel, but it is a biography. There is really no story line except going through this man's assimilation into his new country. Some of the text is challenging to figure out due to his lack of proficiency in English, but it is also endearing and amusing. One of my favorite features of the book!
Jan
Apr 18, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in the 1940s. In short vivid vignettes the author recounts his experiences as a new immigrant from Georgia, and his assimilation into U.S. society. For good reason it was a best-seller in its day. Probably hard to find now, but the library still had the old edition. Heart-warming. Fast read.
Liz
Aug 23, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts out a little goofy but I was completely moved by the end. Comedic, moral, committed to community. Depression era Eastern European (Georgian) immigrant story. Highly recommended. I read a nice wartime edition.
Shari
Jul 12, 2015 Shari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful about a Georgian immigrant's experiences in America - learning the language, finding work, meeting people, and making a life for himself. It shows the degree of tenacity needed by those who chose to make this country their home around the turn of the century.
Cindy
Feb 18, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book, humorous and touching. I read it often forty years ago, and am pleased to find myself as charmed now as I was then. So often books you read as a child just aren't the same when you read them as an adult, but fortunately I've not outgrown this one. I highly recommend it.
Gail
Jan 10, 2011 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Fun book. Great little vignettes about the lives of some immigrants. Makes you truly appreciate what you have. Not a book I would have ever read outside of the book club, but found it to be well worth my time.
Susan
Oct 26, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! It is witty from start to finish. This outlook on life can help through the hardships that happen in life ~ especially with the many changes that are bound to occur. It is also a way to see the importance of deep friendships. Enjoyed every page.
Malakoma
Aug 07, 2007 Malakoma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
da russian guy been write um in broken english...and i had connack um wit my pidgin english....and was one mean trip.
Triss
Sep 20, 2007 Triss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
It's difficult to find this book, but it is so great. Russian immigrant, turn of the 20th century. Cool and moving.
Joyce
May 09, 2012 Joyce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only read it because it was bookclub selection. It was benign--slightly interesting. Would not recommend.
Edward Lengel
Edward Lengel rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2009
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
May 08, 2008
Salome
Salome rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Coty
Coty rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles (Klutz)
  • A Bride Goes West
  • Years of Victory 1802-1812
  • Wedding Bells Ahead (Grandma's Attic #7)
  • Idol Eyes: My New Perspective on Faith, Fat and   Fame
  • Journals and Letters
  • Tara Revisited: Women, War, & the Plantation Legend
  • The Boy at the Gate: A Memoir
  • Tortured for His Faith
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis