Start by marking “Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors” as Want to Read:
Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors

Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  54 reviews
There are so many fantastic authors and great books out there that sometimes it’s hard to know where to begin. Start Here solves that problem; it tells you how to read your way into 25 amazing authors from a wide range of genres--from classics to contemporary fiction to comics.

Each chapter presents an author, explains why you might want to try them, and lays out a 3- or 4-
Published December 20th 2012 by Book Riot, Inc (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Start Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Here

Tom Gromak
My tendency is to read the same types of books, again and again. It's not that I'm unaware of the existence of other genres. I know that there are a host of wonderful authors just waiting to be discovered, and a zillion "best book" lists out there. I want to be in the know, and to broaden my literary horizons. It's just that I don't want to slog through mountains of information to find the good stuff - I need guidance.

This book fulfilled my need perfectly. It sticks to twenty-five stellar author
Kat
Kat's Review

I started this guide thinking that it contained short passages or partial chapters from each author's most famous piece of work, designed to give the reader a taste of what the author brings to the table. Instead, the book reads more like a series of book recommendations one would receive from a good friend who is passionate about a particular author. The recommendations are personal, and written in a tone that makes one feel as though they are learning something not only about the a
Nayantara
The Must Have Reading Guide

As a Book Riot fan, when they posted about this book, I IMMEDIATELY went on to amazon and bought it. The site is always full of great stuff for book lovers so I knew it would be absolutely stupid of me not to buy the book!

This is a very useful book to those who don't read that much and for people who are avid readers! As the title indicates, it's a starting point to reading book from different genres. I love the authors they've picked because while these authors are we
Margaret
Book Riot's Start Here series is fun to read both because of the promise of book recommendations (because having more books to read is always a positive thing) as well as figuring out whether or not some of the Rioter's recommendations match with yours for a particular author (because if they cover your favorite author the reviewer better agree with you as to what books are the best!).

The reading pathways vary greatly between which blogger is writing the chapter, from straight up reading sequen
James
This was fun. It was like reading a lot of quick-hitter reviews, with solid arguments defending the order of the choices. As with any reviews, I wouldn't fall lock-step with virtually anyone in terms of where to start, but I did find the suggestions interesting. When this idea first came up on Book Riot, I started the Charles Dickens chain, and it was a good idea.

Most of the authors that I've already read, I have begun with the magnum opus, because I love giant books. But when I recommend books
Melissa
A good road-map for readers looking to get into authors' work. The chapters are all short, the reading lists as well (usually no more than 3 or 4 books leading from an accessible work to one that is considered a "magnum opus"). Tone varies between writer but most have a wonderfully earnest tone - they are each writing about beloved authors and the enthusaism shows.

I asked Rebecca why Toni Morrison wasn't included (since I was expecting a chapter from her on one of her favorite authors) - apparen
Justice
I’d Recommend to: Basically everyone in my fictional and non-fictional universes

My Review:
Well done, Book Riot. I’ve seen a handful of organizations put out products, and this is the first one I’ve purchased that is just a brilliant representation of the community. This isn’t a rehash of content already on the site with a few “new” bits thrown in (though Book Riot did have some cool “author pathways” posts leading up to this). You’ve got authors writing about authors, and you can feel the love.
Lisa Eckstein
START HERE: READ YOUR WAY INTO 25 AMAZING AUTHORS is a fantastic guide to approaching potentially intimidating literature. The book, edited by Jeff O'Neal and Rebecca Joines Schinsky of the great site Book Riot, is a collection of essays from contributors who each champion the work of a different author.

Every essay offers a reading sequence through three or more of the author's works. A best known or most ambitious novel isn't always the best starting point, so there's a suggestion for a first b
Melissa
The lovely people at Book Riot put this gem together to help readers navigate their way through the work of 25 authors.

There are a few authors on the list that I have already read all of the mentioned books. That list includes; Jane Austen, Ray Bradbury, Charles Dickens, E.M. Forster, and Edgar Allan Poe. I think that with each of these authors the suggested books are a great snapshot of their work.

There are other authors that I have read almost all of the work mentioned, like Ernest Hemingway
Darla
Good fast read. As an English major I could have done without the Melville, Austen and Dickens ( what, ho, Tale of Two Cities not even mentioned?!) as their work is covered everywhere, ad nauseum. The sections on Italo Calvino, Sherman Alexie, Cormac McCarthy, Haruki Murakami, and Colson Whitehead were great. I would have loved to have seen more, for instance Mark Helprin or Peter Matthiessen-- authors I hear about, but have no reading map for. On a technical note, the introductions were not pro ...more
Amanda Preston
This is a helpful book for those who want to try new authors but do not know where to start. I am finding it extremely useful in my goal to read more books of substance this year. There are 25 different authors listed with the top three books that will help you take baby steps into their writing style. It is especially helpful when you are wanting to find someone who can give you book advice but none of your friends have read any of the books. I really like at the end of each suggestion where it ...more
Jessica
I love Book Riot; it's one of the websites I check daily. So when Book Riot did a Kickstarter to produce a book full of chapters similar to my favorite Book Riot series ("Reading Pathways"), I had to back it. I'm one of those people who is really into books, but not as well read as I would like to be. There are so many authors whose work I want to tackle, but I just don't know where to start. Start Here is great for this (also, Book Riot generally) -- each chapter suggests a starting point for t ...more
Lauren
I think what I enjoyed about this book so much was that for these authors, I've read at least one of their works (save for one which is on my to read pile), and having read them, I was better able to judge the quality or criticism in this book. I'd agree that a fair bit of vanity publishing is terrible, but this lovely little list book was wonderful, down to the "here's what you're getting yourself into with this work". Bookriot continues to do a wonderful job in the book blog world, and now I'l ...more
Mark
This is a great way to be introduced to authors who you probably have already heard about but their body of work is so immense that you are unsure where is the right place to start.

I backed this project on Kickstarter and am delighted with the results.

Each of the listed authors have a chapter dedicated to them - written by someone who is an avid fan of that particular author. A brief bio, an introduction to their writing style / subjects - and then 3 or 4 books listed to get you immersed into th
Jonathan
Interesting concept: there are some authors out there we've all wanted to read but have put off because we don't know where to start. This problem has been rectified in Start Here, which offers some helpful, straightforward guides. Each of the authors discussed features at least three books: a "start here", followed by the "and then" and finally, a "finish here". Compact tours through authors' oeuvres (why is this even a word too many vowels) that helpfully highlight major themes and topics of t ...more
Sue
I enjoyed reading this book as much as I have enjoyed reading the books that are recommended! I hope this is only Volume 1. When the Kickstarter project was announced I jumped right on it and due to a delay in completion I began to become extremely suspicious and I verbalized that suspicion. If Vol 2 were to be in the offing, I would be first in line to donate. And to assuage my guilt I would increase my pledge. This is a job well done.
Ginger
I originally only gave this "book" 3 stars, but I'm amending that. It's certainly not the most riveting read of all time (even for a junkie of books-on-books, as I am), but I find myself referring to both "Start Here" volumns ALL THE TIME.

Whenever I've enjoyed an author, I check Book Riot to see what else they recommend from the author.

Useful, quick read. I hope they continue to publish more of these guides.
Joel Neff
To put it simply, if you have been wanting to read a lot more of the classics but have been intimidated by the variety and depth available, this is the book for you. It provides a short list of recommended works by recommended authors, why they're recommended and how you should approach them. Perfect for students of any age, rank, or station.
georgia
found this on the kindle daily deal. good write ups on suggested authors and best of their books. Re-familiarized myself with melville, atwood, dickens and others. good suggestion book for book clubs or vacation reading. one more book list of "to reads".
Jenna
This was a great book. Several contributors wrote brief essays about their favorite authors, introducing the reader to that particular author. I gleaned lots of good to-read suggestions from "Start Here" and I'll definitely be holding on to my copy!
Dann
This book is quite useful in introducing readers to some canonical literary authors. It's short, it has good advice, and it does it what it purports to do. There's not much else to say about it. Pick up a copy!
Ammon Beckstrom
Great book recommendations for a bunch of authors you've always wanted to read, know you should read, and/or may have been too intimidated to try. I added several books to my GoodReads queue based on picks in the book.
Yesenia Olivo
A perfect resource when you're wondering what to read next. It has a well-balanced collection of famous, familiar, obscure (imo), and seemingly-intimidating authors to pick from.
Callie
Jan 15, 2013 Callie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, own
A great tool showing how to approach the classics. I backed this on kickstarter, and after receiving the paperback copy yesterday, I'm extremely glad I did. So informative!
Thomas Lawson
This was a terribly helpful resource for lengthening my "to read" stack and discovering books I may have never even known existed. Highly recommended!
Amanda
As I am far, far behind in my reading goals for this year, this was a great kick in the pants to pick up some new stuff.
Cat
Very neat idea and a helpful resource if you want to delve into an author's work but don't know where to start.
Michelle
Interesting concept & helpful guide...glad I contributed to the Kickstarter to get this project funded.
Kelly
This book exploded my TBR pile. Such a great project that I'll refer back to for a very long time.
Ian
Ever wondered how to approach an author you heard of but never dared to tackle their magnum opus, or didn't know which of their dozen of novels to start from? Then this book is for you.

The approach taken by the book is quite the opposite of you average high school literature primer: each of the 25 chapters, one per author, is penned by a different writer and is a very personal and at times intimate selection - a list written by a fan, though a professional one, for future fans. Also, as the titl
  • Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores
  • Stop What You're Doing and Read This!
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • Buried in Books: A Reader's Anthology
  • Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read
  • The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language
  • Book Lust To Go: Recommended Reading for Travelers, Vagabonds, and Dreamers
  • Wicked!
  • Madame Bovary's Ovaries: A Darwinian Look at Literature
  • Blinking with Fists: Poems
  • Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • Diving Belles
  • Fictitious Dishes
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • How Reading Changed My Life
  • Hothouse: The Art of Survival and the Survival of Art at America's Most Celebrated Publishing House, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Start Here, Volume 2: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors