Start by marking “Panic” as Want to Read:
Panic

Panic

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  2,837 ratings  ·  267 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Jeff Abbott...

What if everything about your life was a lie?

Evan Casher is a successful documentary filmmaker with a perfect life--until the day his mother is brutally murdered. Suddenly pursued by a ruthless circle of killers, Evan discovers his entire past has been a carefully constructed lie. With only one chance at survival and no
Published April 2nd 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Panic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Panic

Jim
This might have been better if I'd read it & could skim more, but the writing wasn't great. The story line was pretty good, though. Not exactly a new plot, but it was different enough to keep it interesting.

Unfortunately, the author was another who succumbed to putting a silencer on a revolver or else turned an automatic into a revolver - I forget which, but it doesn't really matter. I won't go out of my way to read another by this author.

The reader wasn't bad. Not great, but I'm VERY picky
Jennifer  Stevenson
Apr 25, 2008 Jennifer Stevenson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: See Review
I Read this book last year when i went to college, and i couldnt put it down!
I was reading on the bus, at my Breaks, even sneeking looks during boring classes!
Its a real page turned and is ace for people who love reading crime storys.
The beast thing about this book is that you tend to find crime books about a cop, but this one is about a boy who finds out his life has been a lie! and he slowly it revals that his parents arnt who thay say they are, and are infact up to there necks in trouble. Eve
Cláudia Teles
It was an Ok book. It was (and I hope I won't be misinterpreted when I say this) so American.
Like: the nobody with a boring life turns out to the hero of the whole story killing the bad guys (even though he has no actual shooting or fighting training) and discovering the truth about his past thus improving his relationship with his estranged father and mysterious girlfriend.
"The unknown white hero that safes the day and gets the girl" could very well be the title.
What a cliche.
But it was entert
Michael
Sep 16, 2009 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enjoy the author
Recommended to Michael by: Book from an author previously read
Panic by Jeff Abbott Evan Casher probably led a sheltered life. It all changed when he got a call from his mother. She needed to see him right away. When he got to her home, she had been murdered and the killers then tried to kill Evan but Evan is rescued by a stranger who says he's a friend of Evan's mother.

Steven Jargo, an information peddler, is the man who killed Evan's mother. Dezz is Steven's son and Carrie Lindstrom is the girl Jargo has pretending to be Evan's girlfriend so she can get the files he has on
Ferien_uk
I bought this because I thought it would be easy reading, so I guess I wasn’t really expecting a lot from it. It pretty much met my expectations. I would describe it as an average thriller, fairly unoriginal with plot twists you could see coming from a mile off. I only finished the book because I hate leaving books half-read, otherwise I could have easily given up on it without feeling the need to know what happened to Evan or his father. Evan has no experience in this world, yet manages to freq ...more
Chloe
The premise of this one sounded good - a young guy receives an urgent summons home phone call from his mother and returns to find his mother murdered and his life turns upside down. So, we have an intriguing mystery on our hands! The young guy discovers pretty fast that someone is trying to kill him too! Panic stations = lots of action!

The issue I had (and couldn't stop thinking about) is, here's this young guy ... he's film maker with no police experience, hey, he's hardly even fired a gun. But
Laritza
Good action. I would call it a good pass time book. Nothing to write home about. The one big but is that the author brings up Colombia and Bogota in relation to some drug traffic deal that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with the plot. I wish people would quit referring to Colombia only for the bad and begin to see the beauty of the country and the REAL people. Plus the cartels don't exist anymore. All of the drug lords are in prison, they are GONE for ever. Every other book I read makes reference ...more
Joodith
Okay - so the premise is that a young guy (attractive, of course - we can't have an ugly hero, can we!)who's been living a normal, not too exciting life, is suddenly thrown into a world of violence and chaos. Out of the blue he receives a whispered phone call from his mother telling him to to go to her house - a good two to three hours drive away. He does so only to find his mother dead on the kitchen floor, he is then attacked by the unknown assailants and so his nightmare begins.....

If there's
Zézinha Rosado
Brutal!
Foi o primeiro livro que li deste autor, mas ainda bem que já tenho as restantes obras por ele publicadas na estante à espera para serem lidas, porque se forem semelhantes a esta são realmente brutais!
Uma escrita muito fluída e emocionante, que nos faz ter vontade de andar a correr atrás das personagens de um lado para o outro.
A acção não tem momentos mortos, é sempre vivida debaixo de grande adrenalina.
Gostei muito deste livro.
Jayne
I didn't think the title quite fit the story. The events that unfolded would certainly cause you to panic, but such an emotive title gives you certain ideas and expectations which if you are lucky, match.

I was not so lucky. That's not to say that it was a dumb book. Not at all. Just that it took me a little longer to get into the feel of the book, because of the title.

It's a good enough read.
Filipa
Finalmente, acabei Pânico. Muito a custo, na verdade. Hoje à tarde, obriguei-me a acabar este livro.

Não é que não seja um bom livro, porque eu gostei da história em si, dos personagens e de todas as intrigas - estava tudo verdadeiramente bem construído.

Mas é uma escrita algo difícil de ler - é preciso estar com cabeça e disposição para o ler. É um livro pesado, cheio de pormenores, de factos novos a entrarem e que precisam de ser processados. Existe qualquer coisa sempre a acontecer.

Talvez este
Mark Soone
Wow, this was super cool! I have never even heard of Abbott untill I saw his name on the inside cover of a book about a month ago...It called him one of the most prominant thriller writers..Now I know why! I would call this the best espionage thriller I have read sing "The Last Spymaster".

This book is way more action and plot driven than character driven. The main character/protaginist Evan is really the only charcter that I feralt I got to know. There was so much duplicty, multi faceted deciet
André Nuno
Esta foi o meu primeiro contacto com a escrita de Abbott. A sinopse está muito bem conseguida e é clara q.b. Normalmente não gosto de utilizar sinopses como parte integrante da minha opinião mas neste caso abrirei uma excepção. A velocidade e intensidade do enredo não me permitem elaborar muito sobre as personagens pois incorreria no risco de revelar mais do que o necessário. No meu entender a acção faz os personagens e para versar sobre estes teria de dar a conhecer a tal.

Num ritmo alucinado Je
Kerry
Proclaimed as "One of the year's best books" on the cover, I was obviously expecting something very good. However on the contrary, I was bitterly disappointed. 2005 was clearly a very bad year for publication.

If you're a fan of the fast-paced and simplistically written novels of Dan Brown, then you'll like this. The pace of the story is so fast that you've barely come to terms with what's just happened, before you're being transported to a completely different world altogether, within the space
Joann
I enjoyed Panic mostly because of the fast paced plot, the unattended changes and the fact that you can never be sure who is honest and who still hides some dark secrets. While the plot was great, the characters were a bit hard to get close to. I think they should have been introduced with more details. The writing wasnt exceptionally good, nor was it bad. All in all 3 stars for this book, I might read another story by Jeff Abbott soon. ...more
Elizabeth A
Licinia Cardoso
Foi o primeiro livro que li deste autor, e gostei (ainda bem porque comprei logo 3 livros do autor).
Em "Pânico" os capítulos levam-nos logo em suspense para o capítulo seguinte. A história está sempre em crescendo porque estamos sempre a descobrir mais e mais sobre o mistério que enreda o assassínio de Donna mãe de Evan personagem central. É uma trama fácil de acompanhar e envolvente e com um pouco de romance também.
Estibaliz79
Pues... como thriller no está mal, y de ahí las tres estrellas; claro que en el fondo no soy yo muy de thrillers, porque me suelen parecer excesivos en sus planteamientos. El protagonista, en este caso, me parece que resulta en exceso capaz dados sus antecedentes personales, pero bueno... supongo que ahí está la gracia. Aparte de eso, es ameno y se lee bien (dejando aparte los habituales errores de edición y corrección... habituales tratándose de La Factoría de Ideas), y en este género tampoco e ...more
Elliot
This book. This. Damn. BOOK! I swear this book is one of the main reasons we're given emotions.
If you like your crime books full of suspense that keeps you guessing, then this is the book for you.
I immediately liked Evan's character. I personally think he's brilliant, very likeable, easy to relate to. He's not flat, not basic, maybe a little cliché, but that never did anybody any harm.
The story line itself is very believable. You can just imagine the CIA getting up to this sort of thing, with un
Ria
A breathtaking thriller that grips you from page one with so many deviations from the main storyline its hard to keep up!
Evan is a film maker and one day is summoned home by his mother in a seeming state of desperation but by the time he gets there she is dead on the kitchen floor, he is attacked from behind and hung by his assailant to make it look as if he murdered his mother and then committed suicide but this goes horribly wrong when an outside agent comes to his rescue but this is only the
Claire
A rather lack lustre novel I'm afraid. I gave him and decided not to finish it as everytime I went to read it I found something else to do instead. The characters seemed extremely one dimensional and tbh I didn't really care about Evan or what happened to him. Jargo and son felt panto-evil and the not for children warning on the front cover leads me to believe they shouldn't read it so as not to put them off reading for life!
Jeanne
This story grabs you and pulls you into the excitement from the very beginning! So many twists and turns makes it difficult to determine who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Great listen right up to the very end--and you do eventually figure out who the good guys are!! 9 of 10 for me on this one.
Ali
This one had me hooked! 'Panic' is a roller-coaster ride with the most unexpected of turns that you'd expect from a good thriller. It will make you keep up your reading speed so that you can keep up with the pace at which the scenes are changing. A recommended read for anyone who likes thrillers!
Ashley
This was a fast paced Mysterious, spy thriller about espionage, family ties, love, and doing what's right even if its the most dangerous option!!!
It's based on what happens when a innocent man gets caught up in the government spy games.

Very good read!!!
Joao Feiteira
Fraquinho, muito fraquinho. É o que posso dizer. Uma história de espionagem, muito confusa, mal contada. Com pretensões de ser um thriller capaz de prender o leitor, a verdade é que deixa muito a desejar. Não recomendo.
Krystin
Remind me never to read an action-thriller book ever again.
Shallow and cliched.
Miguel
Não consegui terminar o livro, mas tenho a certeza que tem um final do género "o Zé ninguém inicial torna-se um herói e salva o mundo! E ainda fica com a babe".
A escrita é boa, mas a história torna-se confusa e demasiado intrincada para o meu gosto. Muitas reviravoltas confusas que não me agarram como leitor. E o tema, demasiado batido, acaba também por se tornar desinteressante logo nas primeiras páginas. Muitos clichés, alguma previsibilidade e personagens-tipo muito básicas.
Desiludiu-me, mas
There is such a thing as too many good reviews. I mean the front and back of this book is covered in other authors shining compliments about Abott as an author and it seemed that this book could literally do no wrong. The best book EVER!

Wrong...

So so wrong...

It's not like it was terrible but it just didn't live up to the phenomenal reviews and comments plastered all over the front and back covers. Or maybe I had just heightened my expectations too much and it was never going to live up to them.
Zé Manel
Pânico é o título de um dos nove livros que me acompanharam durante este Verão.
Para dizer a verdade, este género de livros não faz parte do rol das minhas leituras preferidas e, talvez por isso, o tenha adquirido num impulso de ler algo diferente.
Pânico é um livro da autoria de Jeff Abbott, autor de livros de suspense e mistério, nomeado e vencedor de alguns prémios.
Abbott apresenta-nos uma escrita rápida e fugaz transformada, neste caso, num thriller emocionante que nos consegue prender até à ú
Lisa Petrocelly
This was the fourth Jeff Abbott book I've read, the second stand-alone, and as with the others, my only disappointment was when it ended. This one revolves around a young documentary film maker in Texas who is forced into a secret world that he never knew his parents were part of. The more he learns about it, the more determined he is to end his family's involvement in it; however, the lines are very blurred here, in the world of the former USSR, Soviet spies, the CIA, and the lengths people in ...more
Should I 5 32 Sep 25, 2014 04:43PM
  • The Business of Dying (Dennis Milne, #1)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Ice Trap
  • Messiah
  • Smoked
  • Children of Wrath
  • Lay Death at Her Door
  • The Only Witness
  • Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)
  • Sleeping Cruelty
  • The Crystal Skull
  • Sleep with Me
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • Myth Man
  • Taking Lives
  • Flint
  • Still Waters: A Mystery
  • Rsvp
Jeff Abbott (born 1963) is a U.S. suspense novelist. He has a degree in History and English from Rice University. He lives in Austin, Texas. His early novels were traditional detective fiction but in recent years he has turned to writing thriller fiction. A theme of his work is the idea of ordinary people caught up in extraordinary danger and fighting to return to their normal lives. His novels ar ...more
More about Jeff Abbott...
Adrenaline (Sam Capra, #1) The Last Minute (Sam Capra # 2) Fear Downfall (Sam Capra # 3) Collision

“It’s your call. You want to go back home, go ahead. But if I were you, I wouldn’t. Home is death.” 2 likes