Start by marking “Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)

Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  3,852 ratings  ·  311 reviews
The second novel in Peter Clines' bestselling Ex series.

It's been two years since the plague of ex-humans decimated mankind. Two years since the superheroes St. George, Cerberus, Zzzap, and Stealth gathered Los Angeles's survivors behind the walls of their fortress, the Mount.

Since then, the heroes have been fighting to give the Mount's citizens hope, and something like a
Published September 4th 2011 by Crown Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ex-Patriots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ex-Patriots

Andre
Whenever you have an issue with a tiny aspect of something you read or watch, there often comes a fear that the follow-up book/movie/whatever will spend more time on that aspect and, therefore, infuriate you. This was the case with my reading Ex-Patriots. In my review of the first book, Ex-Heroes, I noted that the racial dynamics of the characters were bothersome. There was so much time spent introducing readers to the heroes that this wasn’t a really big issue. This time around, however, I coul ...more
Eric
(Does anyone remember Happy Feet?) Ramone: Let me tell something to you.

Because of the length of the audiobook and the fact that I need sleep somewhere during the night to do the annoying things in my day like work I had time to put down some of my thoughts. At the time I was seriously considering dropping down to at least 4 stars due to my feelings on having such a predictable plot. Cliche some would call it. There were even moments when lines from the book that had quoted movies were about how
Ash Wednesday
4 STARS

On the heels of reading Red Rising... So. Much. Testosterone. In one week. Has anyone seen my ovaries? I think I misplaced them somewhere and spontaneously grew balls and maybe a beard while reading these two books.
“An ex latched onto his wrist and tried to bury its teeth in his bicep. He flexed and cracked its jaw, then swung his elbow up to send it sprawling. Another one fell onto his back and he shrugged it off.”

How to Hero. Step One: Flex.

Also, did you see the quote on this book'
Robin (Bridge Four)
Ex-heroes was survivors against each other and zombies. Ex-Patriots is superheroes with super soldiers and the left over government. Now, I don’t know about you but the one thing that I have learned, from every zombie movie ever, is in a zombacalypse never trust the United States Government. But, let’s see how that works out for our superhereos.

“The real supervillians wear business suits and paisley ties with full Windsor knots.”

This has a great blend again of a story told in the past and the
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I read this to my husband, it was a fun read. An eerie thought, how the sound of hundreds or more clacking teeth would be a nightmare for the ears. It would be awful I imagine, since they have constant numerous zombies at the gates doing this nonstop.

The superheroes are very cool, they are unique in their abilities. We liked Zzzap the most, he has an awesome power and the funniest lines. What's not to love about an ultra super hero with a witty sense of humor?

Ex-Heroes is the 1st, and Ex-Commun
Jakedecock
David
Feb 17, 2012 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombies, superheroes, super-soldiers
This is definitely popcorn entertainment. Superheroes + zombies: it's a novelized comic book, and it reads like one. I thought the first book (Ex-Heroes) was pretty cheesy and mediocre if enjoyable. The second book is also cheesy, maybe just a notch above mediocre. Clines's writing has improved in this sequel, and it particularly shows in the plotting. Instead of a dumb boss fight with a predictable conclusion at the end, there are several fairly clever (if very much conforming to standard super ...more
Crazynotinlove
Apr 21, 2014 Crazynotinlove rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love superheroes and zombies
I really enjoyed reading this and I look forward to reading other books in the series. I wish my local library carried books by Peter Clines, especially from the Ex-Heroes series. I really want to read Ex-Communication. Luckily, there's a little thing called interlibrary loan and my sister has requested it for me. I would have requested it myself, but the thing about interlibrary loans is you tend to not be able to renew and more importantly your request might be denied. I was trying to avoid po ...more
Heather Faville
Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines was calling my name after having just finished reading Ex-Heroes and, boy howdy, did it deliver. Packed with every bit as much action as it's predecessor, Ex-Patriots introduces us to the Unbreakables, a group of super soldiers led by Freedom a true American patriot, Dr Sorensen, the doctor who figured out how to create the super soldiers and Mr. Smith, the man who is behind the notion of having super soldiers. There are other new characters, including a new Hero and, ...more
Thomas Taylor
Sep 01, 2011 Thomas Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
ExPatriots is a sequel to the book ExHeroes, which I loved, and previously reviewed accordingly. The book is about some very realistically written super heroes (and the few thousand normal people they protect) trying to manage after the zombie apocalypse in Hollywood. They come into contact with some US military agents, and fun ensues.

The first book focused more on the survivors in LA, and surviving in general. This 2nd book is more about an adventure at a military base in Arizona where strange
Patrick D'Orazio
Those who have read Ex-Heroes know the scoop from the first book. Peter Clines has created a world with his own flavor of superheroes, led by The Dragon (St. George), Zzzap, Stealth, and Cerberus, who reside in "The Mount", a barricaded movie studio in L.A. They live there protecting the bulk of survivors in the city from Ex's, aka zombies that have taken over the world. I felt that the author created a wonderful and highly detailed group of heroes and villains, using the writing technique of go ...more
Mihir

Review originally over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: After reading Peter Clines excellent debut Ex-Heroes, I was very excited to see where he would take the characters and the world he had written about, in the next book. As is the case with most successful debuts, the sequels come up high anticipation and therein lies the quandary for the author as to come with a story which will resonate with the readers and give them something from the previous book and also at the same time head the char
Jasper
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2013/09/ex-patriots.html

Ex-Patriots is the second book in the Ex-Heroes series written by Peter Clines. The first book in the series, Ex-Heroes, introduced us to quite some cool stuff. The first being superheroes, the second being zombies and not to forget chock-full of action! In Ex-Heroes, Peter Clines had created a interesting view upon both genres and his envisioned superheroes weren't cliche at all, he gave each one of them a bit of twi
Patti
Won in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Wow. Just. Wow.

You know how in a lot of movie franchises, the sequel is better than the original? That's the case here. This was better than Ex-Heroes. And makes me jones for Ex-Communication.

The superheros are still super, still trying to save what they can. Then they meet up with a military group led by John Smith. Things go wild real quick.

What I loved was that the sentient zombies were explained in a manner than makes sense. It wasn't a demon, like the last zombie
Jacques
I really enjoyed this book. The story was clever and I always love a good twist or two near the end. Peter Clines does a great job of merging the superhero and zombie genres, and the characters are colorful, flawed and well-developed. This book satisfied my inner-geek and I can't wait to start the next installment.
T.L. Barrett
The perfect superhero book. My son and I are addicted to this series. This sequel is even better than the original. The Valiant St. George, Cerebus, Zzap, and Stealth are all back. With great characterization and suspensful plotting, Clines tells the story of the Los Angeles Superheroes as they make contact with a military base outside of Yuma. The zombie-apocalyptic action is all still here along with fiendishly clever villains and supersoldiers to boot. This series needs so badly to get screen ...more
C.T. Phipps
Despite my desire to get this in audio-book, I got caught up in so much that I had to wait until I could get it in Kindle form. I only finished it about a half-hour ago and I am now ready to give my thoughts on the work. I'll try and avoid spoiling anything more than you would normally get from the back cover and instead talk about what I enjoyed and felt could be improved.

For those who like their reviews short and sweet, here's the short version: Ex-Patriots is a worthy sequel to Ex-Heroes an
Nanne
Another good book in the Ex-series though lacking a little bit in originality. The story focusses on a military base that's discovered the Mound and establishes contact after which all sort of things happen. Basically the main characters from the previous book (the ones still alive anyways) go to the military base to sort out cooperation but it turns out the military base is not what it seems.

Now while the story was pretty good and the characters were still interesting this story lacked that x-f
Misty
I really love this series, so far. This is book two in the "Ex-heroes" series. I know I read one review about it that gave the book a low star rating and the entire review ranted about the racism in the book, and how it was worse than the first book. There isn't any. Some people just like to find reasons to complain or get offended for no reason.

I really enjoyed this book. It opens up to a celebration that had you proud of both the heroes and the people of The Mount, that they have survived and
Vincent Wood
Zombie stories seem to range from the day of the outbreak to some moment after the outbreak where groups of people strive to survive to later in the outbreak where communities struggle to survive and thrive to beyond. I admit I am beginning to get sick of them. This is an overdone genre.

Luckily this book also has superheroes and I am not sick of superheroes yet. Although this may possibly change by the year 2028 if Marvel truly has their (rather awesome) movies planned out that far.

While this te
Michael Stockinger
I must point out that I only began enjoying comic-book like stories as an adult. With that being said, I loved this book. Like the first, it brought out in me that inner comic-book kid that should have been. I spent many sleepy nights reading this book on the edge of my seat. In the morning I excitedly talked about it to my humored girlfriend. "Yes baby, you're dating a 12-year-old boy in a 29-year-old's body."
Ana
Second book in the series and it's still rocking a 5 star review.

This book continues the story of the group of super heroes and civilians fighting for their little piece of the world in Los Angeles. They have just recovered from their fight with Rodney Caseres aka Peasy and the 17's. They are out on a supply run when St. George spots a drone flying over the area. The drone was sent by the Army which still have an active base in Arizona. The Army base provides a whole new set of character and a w
Alice
I think I enjoyed the sequel to Ex-Heroes more than the first book. It’s more of the same - superheroes and zombies - but with a stronger plot and much more tension. Once again it’s really just a big bundle of comic book cliches, this time we have the addition of the super soldiers, but that doesn’t mean it’s not still a really, ridiculously fun ride.

The plot is tense! I was really quite stressed out reading it for the most part! It was inevitable and obvious - as Zzzap says you can never trust
Khemilmhikka

Like its predecessor, ExPatriots was also amazing. This one had more action though. More than fifty percent of the book was action packed. The whole book actually was action packed. It was fast paced and gripping- there aren't any wasted pages in this book.

Could have had more Stealth/St.George arc into it. Haha. But that's just me.
Suzy (ereaderuser)
It isn't often that I read a series where the subsequent book is better than the first. Well that's exactly what happened here!! If you enjoyed Ex-Heroes, then you've got to read Ex-Patriots. It had non-stop action with an interesting story and some new characters added. And apparently there will be a third book in the series!!
Don Massi
I'm enjoying Peter Clines' zombie/super hero mash up far more than I thought I would. While I have always loved anything to do with super heroes, super humans or masked mystery men (and always will!), zombies are a whole other thing. Yeah, I like the idea of the walking dead, they are truly gruesome monsters but lately they seem played out, over used. When will I learn, all you need is a fresh take, a new viewpoint, to bring out the original power of a cliché. And Mr. Clines does this so well wi ...more
Brandon James
Ex-Patriots is a big time summer movie blockbuster starring all the hottest stars of the day as well as the hunkiest and sexiest up-and-comers that cost hundreds of millions to make but fell flat at the box office. The die-hards who had seen the previous film in the series champion the sequel, but even they are starting to question their loyalties.

Ex-Heroes, the first in this series, dealt with a post-apocalyptic world in which superheroes are left protecting civilians against a zombie horde. We
Leslee
3.5 stars. Pulpier than the first, if this is even possible. Incredibly cheesy, probably should have been done as a comic book. However, it's an undeniably fun read, original for the genre, and better written than some of the zombie schlock that gets self-published out there.
Dmitri Kyun
I was hoping that Ex-Patriots would develop better than Ex-Heroes, but it floundered in just the same ways, and seemed to take them even further.
Once again, the in-depth blow-by-blow style during the action sequences nearly managed to put me to sleep. If a fight scene is this boring, there's something wrong.
On a brighter note, the characters are still interesting, specifically Stealth, who is a breath of fresh air among strong female archtypes.
The plot dragged in places, and the main antagonist,
Anita
  • Confessions of a D-List Supervillain
  • Survivors
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Villains Inc. (Wearing the Cape #2)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile
  • Zombie Fallout 4: The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • Crusade (Eden Book 2)
  • Hissers
  • Devil's Cape
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • This Dark Earth
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • Other People's Heroes
  • Nobody Gets the Girl (Whoosh! Bam! Pow!, #1)
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper, and at t
More about Peter Clines...
14 Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1) Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3) Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4) The Junkie Quatrain

“Must you always speak with so many pop culture references?"
"I must, yes, but no one's making pop culture anymore, so I'm starting to feel dated. I haven't seen a new movie in two years. And you know what else I just realized?"
The doctor stared at him.
"I'm never going to find out what the hell was going on with Lost. I mean, was it just sheer coincidence their plane crashed on the island or was it this Jacob guy pulling the strings all along? And how did most of them end up back in the 1970s with the Dharma people?”
1 likes