Start by marking “Dog Loves Counting” as Want to Read:
Dog Loves Counting

Dog Loves Counting (Dog Loves)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Dog can't go to sleep. He loves books so much that he just can't stop reading. Dog tries counting sheep, but it's not working—perhaps there are some other creatures he can count? Soon Dog is off on an adventure, finding friends and numbers in unexpected places.

Meet Dog and let him show you why he LOVES COUNTING!
Published September 10th 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Loves Counting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Loves Counting

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle1 Is One by Tasha TudorChicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr.Cats' Night Out by Caroline StutsonPride & Prejudice  by Jennifer Adams
Best Counting Picture Books
6th out of 26 books — 6 voters
1-2-3 Peas by Keith  BakerOne Gorilla by Anthony BrowneTen Little Rabbits by Virginia GrossmanThis Old Band by Tamera Will WissingerHow Do I Love You? by Leslie Kimmelman
Counting Books
110th out of 120 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Brenda  Roman
Dog loves reading by Louise Yates, dog loves reading books before he goes to sleep, he prefers reading over sleep. One day he just couldn’t sleep and left off for an adventure with other creatures. Together they counted different parts of each animals body some animals include a spider, cloth and other fin creatures. Dog will show readers why he enjoys counting with his new friends.

I really love opening the book to the first page because it’s a sky filled with stars and numbers are being connec
Tina Andrade
Yates, L. (2013). Dog loves counting. New York: Random House Children's Books.

Starred review School Library Journal 2013.

Counting.

Adorable and creative book about a dog that can't fall asleep and resorts to counting animals in a book from his beloved collection. The things that Dog counts and the way he goes about it makes this book stand out from other counting books. The illustrations are beautifully animated pastels and help to give the animals their own personality. This could be used as a s
Erica
Dog loves books. He can't sleep because he doesn't want to stop reading. One night when he can't sleep (when counting sheep doesn't work) he turns to one of his books. He begins to count the animals he encounters on his journey to sleep starting with a dodo and ending with a crab who has 10 legs, including claws.

This will be a fun book for kids who are already counting and love to count everything in their books. At times the numbers or stripes are a bit too close together so younger kids will
Cemeread
Sep 16, 2014 Cemeread added it
Shelves: children
This counting book is a bit different. Counting sheep to sleep isn't working for Dog so Dog starts counting things in his books. Each of the animals contains coming after Dog has something about its body that matches its number (three toed sloth, nine-banded armadillo) until reaching ten. Number one goes missing allowing for an opportunity to count all the animals down from 10 to 1. When one is found a new counting opportunity is found.
Melanie
Although not nearly as good as the other "Dog Loves" books, Dog 1 2 3 is still entertaining. Dog can't sleep so he tries counting sheep, but they won't hold still. So he grabs a book and starts counting the first thing he encounters, an egg that hatches. He goes on to count a sloth, camel, skink and raccoon.

Not great, but cute. I would not recommend this book be used for actual counting as it's quite confusing.
Jill
Great book that gives an adult and child an opportunity to count something on every page. For example, the 3 toed sloth is the 3rd addition to Dog's group and he has 3 toes, which are numbered on the page. Great way to reinforce the skill. Not sure if it would be great for storytime, this is one you'll need to spend some time with and may be better one on one.
Christine
I love the two other dog books, and this one is just a good! I think it's something about the soft and absolutley adorable illustrations and the clever storylines that just make me melt! In this one, dog is staying up reading a bit too late, and tries to count sheep to go to sleep, but that doesn't seem to be working. So, he picks up a book of Curious Creatures, and goes on a counting journey to all sorts of places with all sorts of animals (from a dodo to a three-toed sloth to a camel, each hav ...more
Chelle
The dog's dream about counting is rather abstract for an audience young enough to need a book about counting. The rhyme scheme was haphazard and made for awkward reading whether silently or aloud. There was no reason to the story arch as the dog wanders in a dream world counting animals which appear at random. A little more structure would have helped this book.
Brindi
Precious. I really enjoy this series and this newest addition didn't disappoint. Dog is having trouble sleeping and turns to his beloved books for help. The light illustrations make this a perfect bedtime story, with lovely end pages (and his sleep mask it too cute), and children are able to count along with Dog.
Liz
Louise Yates' Dog (of Dog Loves Books & Dog Loves Drawing) is back and he's got a new favorite activity - counting! He meets all sorts of interesting friends as he discovers the wonderful world of counting from 1 all the way through 10. Dog's infectious curiosity and the expressive, colorful illustrations will keep kids turning the pages and searching for the numbers on each spread.

In a whole world of counting books, Dog Loves Counting is a stand-out choice for 4-6 year olds. It stands perf
Rachel
I adored her other book "Dog Loves Books", so when I saw this in the library, I decided to get it for my son as his teacher says he needs to see more numbers in print form. It had the same precious illustrations as the last book, but even cuter (if that’s actually possible) with the addition of a dodo and a baby sloth! Dog loves books but loves reading so much he can’t fall asleep. So he picks up a book on creatures and starts counting them from 1 – 10 and back down again. I’m looking forward to ...more
Mlh346comcast.net
E YATES, L. Uses parts of animals bodies--9 rings on an armadillo
Keris
Joe got a bit distracted during this one, but that may have been tiredness. I love the illustrations and it's a very sweet idea, but I found it a little disjointed and hard to read.
Angie
(early e-arc from Edelweiss)

Ever so adorable. "Dog" is fast becoming a favorite.

I love the adventure quality of this story. So many unexpected characters!

I also loved the twist of what Camel was expecting them all to count and what Dog ended up counting. Even with my silly pet peeve I will still be recommending this book to students and parents, and buying at least one copy for our school collection.
Meg McGregor
Dog loves books so much that he can't fall asleep. So he begins to count all sorts of creatures until he finds that he loves counting as much as reading!

Read again on May 3, 2014.
Sharon Lawler
"Dog loved books. He loved reading them late into the night and didn't like to leave them for long." Dog also knew he should sleep, but counting sheep did not work, so he used his books to find other animals to count and get his much needed sleep. Very creative, and excellent choice of counting or sleep themed story time.
Stefanie
Dog doesn't just love books; he loves counting too! This is a delightful follow-up and a clever counting book that ties each number to an animal with some characteristic surrounding that number, such as a crab (Number Ten) who has 8 legs and 2 claws. Cute, cute, cute. (I read an ARC of this book on Edelweiss.)
Shazzer
I love that Dog loves books, and that he finds his peace with books. This go around, he finds his sleep by counting with other animal friends from his books, like the camel, the sloth and the dodo (yes, dodo). Ms. Yates has created a gentle counting book that also works beautifully as bedtime fare.
Margie
This dog is my kind of dog. He loves books, drawing and counting. Louise Yates has created a character readers love. His kindness and good nature find the upside to any situation.

My full review: http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
Janet
Yes, dog loves books and reading late into the night. But now he needs to count to get to sleep. Great unique animal features to count: seven black stripes on the raccoon's tail and nine bands on the armadillo. Very interesting.
Shelli
I love Louise Yates sweet illustrations and characters with such great expressions. This book is perfect for small children learning to perfect their counting's skills. Interest level age five or below.
Kristina Lareau
I like some of Yates' other titles, so I was hopeful when I picked this title up. But alas, it was a meandering counting book without plot. And it rhymed. Rather lackluster.
Becky
A simple,but not simple, counting book starring the lovable character Dog. Dog starts counting animals from his books to help him get to sleep. Lots of fun.
Jody Lewandowski
Deceptively sophisticated counting book for older kids. Appealing illustrations.
Bridget R. Wilson
Love, Love, love! I think I may do a storytime with all the dog books in the spring.
Cynthia
I loved this book! A dog who loves books! Nice illustrations, too!
Sue
good for counting and other unexpected numbers
Edward Sullivan
Dog counts on his animal pals.
PWRL
Dec 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
E
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dog Loves Books Dog Loves Drawing A Small Surprise Frank and Teddy Make Friends. by Louise Yates Dog Loves Fairy Tales