Start by marking “Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)” as Want to Read:
Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)

Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments #4)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
After previous assignments in London, the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, and the Australian rain forest, this final adventure in the Hunchback Assignments series finds our hero, shape-shifting, masked spy Modo, on his most personal quest. Along with fellow spy Octavia Milkweed, they search for Modo's biological parents. But when the Clockwork Guild find Modo's parents first ...more
Published September 10th 2013 by Ember (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Island of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of Doom

Linda
Jul 08, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in the Hunchback Assignments series and supposedly the final book. Please let it not be so! I love this series. This title was not as good as the previous one, "Empire of Ruins", but it still was fantastic. The series is set in Victorian England, circa 1870.

In this book the Clockwork Guild are building bigger and more horrible experiments in their race to control the world. They now have a lab hidden away on a Pacific Island. Modo, the deformed boy who is able to change his
Alan
Oct 02, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steam-punk
Rose
Aug 01, 2012 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book but I didn’t love it. Yes, it had that same adventure with my favorite characters but for some reason I felt that Modo and Octavia were a bit off. I still can see how this book fits in with the others but to say this…this book is the final installment was a slight let down. I ordered this book from Canada because I was so excited and anxious to read it before the US release. Maybe my expectations were too high and this book didn't reach it...

I wanted fireworks but all I got was
Cecilia Rodriguez
When Colette Burnet visits Modo, he is told that his birth parents are still alive.
In this final adventure with Modo, Slade pays homage to Victor Hugo, who is the major source of inspiration for the plot.
Other authors that Slade draws inspiration are: H.G. Wells, Lewis Carroll, Robert Lewis Stevenson, and Mary Shelly.
The fun reference that younger readers may not catch is to a 70's era television show: "Kung Fu."
There is even imagery barrowed from Grimm's fairytale of "Snow White."
Slade maintain
Nicola Mansfield
The final book in this series is a splendid, rollicking adventure. Almost every kind of derring-do meets our favourite team of 'Tavia and Modo as they travel from Montreal, Canada to France then London and end up on a South Pacific Island. A mixture of steampunk and Frankenstein meet with the horrid collection of human and steel warriors vs super creatures sewn together from parts of corpses and enlivened by the maternal blood of Modo. Even though it has been a year since last reading about Modo ...more
Morgan Oats
Dec 19, 2012 Morgan Oats rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very critical of this book for a few reasons. I had just come off of reading books like the Lord of the Rings series which have their own standard; I hadn't read the series for months now and I had lost some interest in the story, and I just don't think the writing is very high caliber. All that being said, at the end of the day I like this book just as I like this series. Arthur Slade may not be a J.R.R. Tolkien, but he knows how to create a good story.

In this conclusion to the Hunchback
Amy Lignor
Sep 20, 2012 Amy Lignor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who have not followed this incredible series, Modo is a young man who was born with a deformity, and has the power to change his face and body in order to become a different person at will - which definitely comes in handy in his work as an agent for ‘The Permanent Association’ - which is a group whose job is to protect Britannia.

Through three previous adventures, Modo has found himself in many situations - from the mean streets of London to the Atlantic Ocean to the rain forest in Au
Linsey
Nov 26, 2013 Linsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
It took me all four books to discover what bugged me about these books. They were written ok following general grammar, spelling, punctuation, and not using too many adverbs. The problem was more subtle. The author disobeys "Show, don't tell" the entire time. This series seems like a summary of the adventures of Modo.

It happens in the large scale. I thought the idea behind using steampunk and the hunchback of Notre Dame was interesting, but it doesn't stay interesting. The characters don't seem
Jack Baillot
Dec 11, 2012 Jack Baillot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Hunchback Assignments finds Modo and Octivia traveling to France in search of the parents who abandoned him as a baby. They are also determined to stop the Clockwork Guild once and for all.

Though this book didn't surpass the third as my favourite - eh, what can I say I like stories with airship battles - it is now the second favourite in the series. Modo is more grown up in this one and willing to question about whether what he is doing is right or wrong. And I was please
Evan
Jul 16, 2012 Evan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What an amazing final installment. Seriously, give this book a whirl. It will BLOW YOUR MIND! The shape-shifting hero, Modo, and his companions, Octavia Milkweed, Colette Brunet, Tharpa, Mr. Socrates, Oppie Entwistle, Ester McGravin are about to make one final assault on the clockwork guild, and stop them for good. The amazing writing, the nonstop action, and the sheer scale of it makes this book a hit.
Arthur Slade has also added a few new characters, such as Footman, Cook, Typhon, Lime an
Rachel
Mar 28, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok yes, I'm a little sad that this is the last book in "The Hunchback Assignment" series, but the good news is the author is trying to make a continuation story about Modo and Octavia called "Modo: Ember's End," and is a steampunk Wild West adventure. Check out the series website for more info and to help fund the project: http://www.hunchbackassignments.com/. I think it would be awesome.

In this volume, Modo and Octavia are on the search for Modo's parents, with the help of Colette (the French
Barbara
Feb 09, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed how the ending was but there is a cliff hanger. One of the new players isn't remotely dead and that person rows off into their next adventure. Possible new series? Hmmmmmmm... Mr. Slander, what are you up to?
Lynn Bornath
A satisfying and exciting ending for an entertaining series. I shall miss Modo. (Although I do still have the graphic novel to read!)
Emily Ann
I didn't like this one as much as the others.
Clara Thompson
Oct 28, 2013 Clara Thompson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Slade created a loveable and inspiring character in Modo, and I was caught up in the hunchback's life as soon as I started the first book. But, unfortunately, the author didn't deliver at all in the last book, The Island of Doom. Nothing happened the way I wanted it to...in fact, nothing happened at all. By the end of the book, we're back at square 1 and nothing has been accomplished in Modo's life other than the fact that he is an incredible spy. I wanted this book to be good, but it jus ...more
Mandy
Jul 25, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
(4.5 stars)
luvmaisha
Aug 19, 2013 luvmaisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I have to say was that it was an absolutely awesome. Modo discovers who his parents are and where he comes from and the Permanent Association finally locate the Clockwork Guild's base and face them down. The plot was rapidly developing, exciting, and parts of it were really shocking. The ending came as such a surprise I don't even know what to say. Definitely a must read.
Maya
Apr 26, 2012 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Yay!!! Finally there is another one. Ill wait forever for this book if I have too. I have to read it. OMG!! Whats going to happen? It better be a happy or at least a satisfying conclusion or else I'm going to be expecting another one. And if there isn't another one I'm going to cry.
Amanda
Jan 14, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, fans of steam punk
Shelves: favorites
I am so glad this had a decent ending. Arthur Slade has not yet disappointed me with one of his books. I almost wish there were some companion novels that follow Modo. I do recommend this series to anyone that enjoys young adult steam punk fiction.
Cory Beatty
May 19, 2012 Cory Beatty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be the best book of a terrific series. I'd encourage anyone to read it. I certainly wish it was around when I was a reluctant young reader. High adventure, literary glimpses, and just great fun!
Ipek Tashkin
Dec 21, 2012 Ipek Tashkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a thrilling conclusion to such s great series. I was expecting Modo to be with his mother and marry Octavia, but it did not happen. I was sad when Collete died, she was such a good character.
Prince  of Doom
Jun 22, 2015 Prince of Doom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book series! I liked the fact that the book was a mix of steampunk, adventure/spy and mystical aspects. My only criticism is that the ending of the series seemed a little rushed.
Reade
Feb 10, 2013 Reade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved how Arthur Slade wrapped up this series. Resolved, but with some sharp lessons learned along the way. Not quite what I expected, which is good. This may be my favorite book of the series.
Elise
Good ending, keeps the readers wondering what will happen to Modo and Octavia
Niall
Jan 19, 2013 Niall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
A fitting end to the excellent Hunchback Assignments as the plots and threads of the first three books are neatly brought together in this final instalment.
Ashleigh
A perfect end to a fantastic series! I would be happy to read many more books about Modo and Octavia; good thing there's a graphic novel coming out!
Lilly
Feb 24, 2013 Lilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, the ending was a bit of a surprise, not exactly what I would've liked it to be.
Britt, Book Habitue
For some reason I just didn't love this one as much as the others.
Christina
3.5 stars Hope we see Modo & Tavia down the road someday.
What is your favourite book in this series and why? 1 5 Jul 16, 2012 09:00AM
  • Becoming Holmes: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Final Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • Doktor Glass
  • Fox and Phoenix (Long City, #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • Riese: Kingdom Falling
  • The Barrio Kings
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • Hammer of Angels (Shadowstorm, #2)
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • Power Under Pressure (The Society of Steam, #3)
  • Monoceros
  • The Begum's Fortune
Arthur Slade was raised in the Cypress Hills of southwest Saskatchewan and began writing at an early age. He is the author of the bestselling The Hunchback Assignments series of books, Dust (which won the Governor General's award), Tribes and Jolted. He lives in Saskatoon, Canada (which really is a real place). Join his creative & somewhat clever newsletter at: what a zany newsletter!
More about Arthur Slade...

The Hunchback Assignments (4 books)
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)