The Hollywood Studios

The Hollywood Studios

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Hollywood in the years between 1929 and 1948 was a town of moviemaking empires. The great studios were estates of talent: sprawling, dense, diverse. It was the Golden Age of the Movies, and each studio made its distinctive contribution. But how did the studios, "growing up" in the same time and place, develop so differently? What combinations of talents and temperaments ga...more
Published January 2nd 2013 by Knopf (first published May 12th 1988)

Francesca
I listened to the blackstone audiobook edition of this book. It's a great intro to how each Hollywood studio developed its particular style and forte, and the moguls connected with each. I was annoyed, though, that the author can't appreciate the campiness of such monstrosities as, say, Crawford's later films, and spends too much time expressing his cynical opinions about the industry. The occasional film theory jargon and use of $10 words was also annoying.
Taylor
Jun 25, 2008 Taylor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of classic Hollywood cinema
Shelves: non-fiction, film
First off - I love Ethan Mordden's books. He's not a scholar and is incredibly opinionated, which is actually refreshing. He knows the subject matter, all the names and details, but doesn't get bogged down in cinema studies jargon (you can also tell he's not from the cinema studies world because he seems to hate Douglas Sirk's movies). He writes like someone who loves movies and is trying to get at why these films still remain to vital today.

His analysis of the studio system is interesting but d...more
David Fiore
This is a must-read experience for any old movie buff (I've probably been through it nearly a hundred times since I first picked it up when I was a kid - any time I encounter a movie from the 1930s for the first time, I dive into this book's index and wind up staying with it for about 50 pages before I have to return to the rest of my life). As has been noted, Mordden is no scholar, and he makes no pretense of writing like one. That said, his thesis (that the studios can/sometimes-should be trea...more
AmblingBooks
"Written with a flair and clarity that will delight even the casual movie lover, this study is a refreshing and convincing alternative to the auteurist approach to film history." � Publishers Weekly

Listen to The Hollywood Studios on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Chuck Williamson
Far too conversational, digressive, and prone to misguided grousing. But it does provide a comprehensive, reader-friendly introduction to the studio system. Recommended only if you don't mind Mordden's sometimes-frothy breadth-over-depth approach and oddball opinions on certain canonical films (The Band Wagon, Imitation of Life, etc.)
Greta
Really has an eye for the characteristics of each studio’s films and says it with wit. Snarky but often accurate, though I think he’s too hard on quite a few people. More convincing argument on why he thinks Goldwyn is a loser than Carol Easton manages in a whole book, and he’s a contrarian on Sirk.
Ed
Jun 09, 2008 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: burgeoning cinemaphiles, movie fans
Shelves: film
A nifty overview of the studios that snowballed through the early twentieth century to produce the 'classics' we know and love. Mordden's frequent first-person narration may not be for those seeking a more scholarly approach, but I enjoy his tell-it-as-I-see-it take on whatever happens to come up.
M. Elliott-Rupert
M. Elliott-Rupert marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Theodore
Theodore marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kiki
Kiki marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Peter M. B.
Peter M. B. marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Justin
Justin is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2013
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Kristina Przinova
Kristina Przinova marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
How Long Has This Been Going On? Buddies I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore Everybody Loves You Some Men are Lookers