Start by marking “The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The New Personality Self -portraitis the only guide to personality types based onthe American Psychiatric Association'sjust-published official diagnostic system -- the DSM-IV -- and written by one of today'sleading personality researchers. A long-timebacklist bestseller in its previous edition, it has nowbeen completely updated to include all thefascinating new information ...more
Published November 7th 2012 by Bantam (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The New Personality Self-Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Personality Self-Portrait

Katya Kean
While not as useful to me as Please Understand Me 2, it did fill in another dimension of personality typing that couldn't be covered by the Meyers-Briggs type. I found it very useful in understanding people and myself better, having more compassion, and just not letting some things get to me as much.
Jim Dooley
I have long pursued these personality test books with a jaundiced eye. Even Myers-Briggs left a lot of room for wide open interpretation...in a sense, allowing me to be whoever I wanted to be.

Imagine my surprise when I found the analysis of me in this book to be dead-on accurate. I'll admit that it needs to be seen as a snapshot of my life at the given time when it was taken, but it gave me a wealth of information that I have been able to use for further investigation.

I especially enjoyed the ad
John Orman
Interesting book, comes with a questionnaire and chart to help you determine your personality style in many situations. Also tips on how to deal with people with differing styles, and how to tell when traits descend into personality disorders!

From Leisurely Style ("California Dreaming") to Aggressive ("Top Dog"), the book nails us all, with attendant personality disorders from passive-aggressive to sadistic.
Penny
I read this one ages ago but just stumbled upon it again. It's sort of nice to find a possible explanation (and possible validation) for some of my quirkier personality traits. It's also interesting and humbling to see how letting a couple of traits go too far might push one over the edge into a disordered state. Maybe it's a good thing my #1 and #2 scores appeared to be in direct opposition to each other. :)
Kayla
This is a "self help" book that my therapist wanted me to read. I do, however, think everyone should read it. I agree that "You cannot read this book without attaining a deeper and clearer understanding of yourself and the people you care about." ~Herbert Pardes, M.D.
Kevin
recommended for exploring your own traits, and getting to know other's with clarity, so that we can better listen, interact, and care for one another. Based on the DSM IV, good to be more aware of how our 'normal' is the shallow side of different disorders.
Nancy
This description of multiple personality traits and their associated disorders described so many people I know.. I was disappointed that I couldn't figure out how to take the test for myself on the Kindle version of the book.
Pam
I've taken a few personality tests, but never one so detailed. I found the information useful and the layout of the book makes it very reader friendly. It's an interesting and informative peek into why we behave the we do.
Emily
Is it stupid for me to say that I wasn't blown away by this book because I wasn't too happy with what it told me I was? I mean it was accurate, just a little depressing.
Trudi
Interesting and fun...I think I've landed firmly in the "Leisurely" personality type...is that just a polite way of saying lazy? Meh...I can live with that :-)
Kiara
I really enjoyed this one. It surprised me how on target the personalit test seemed. It helped me view some of my personality traints more positively.
Lizzy
LOVE LOVE LOVE----------learned SOOOOOOO much about myself and others through this book....its like a bible for me. I swear its beaten up so bad.
Nicole
Insightful, well written, and accurate.
Carroll
Recommended by my counselor.
MaryAnn Keyser
MaryAnn Keyser marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Tra
Tra marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jess Perez-tirse
Jess Perez-tirse marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Charles Phillips
Charles Phillips marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Aya
Aya marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Lauren Sopko
Lauren Sopko marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Kayleigh Law
Kayleigh Law marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Ben Laur
Ben Laur marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience
  • Feminine Psychology
  • Beyond the Brain: Birth, Death, and Transcendence in Psychotherapy
  • Sex in Human Loving
  • Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work
  • Murphy's Law: Complete
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Relationships: How to Make Bad Relationships Better and Good Relationships Great
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • One Arm and Other Stories
  • When Perfect Isn't Good Enough: Strategies for Coping with Perfectionism
  • The Peter Principle
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Why You Act the Way You Do
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Personality Disorders Impulsivity and Compulsivity Countertransference Issues in Psychiatric Treatment Dynamic Therapy in Brief Hospitalization Paranoia: New Psychoanalytic Perspectives