Start by marking “Warpaint (Cadence Drake, #2)” as Want to Read:
Warpaint (Cadence Drake, #2)

Warpaint (Cadence Drake)

No place to run, no place to hide…

The job sounded simple enough; locate a space miner's missing wives. Quick. Easy. Painless. As a professional finder of lost things, Cadence Drake has learned in the hardest way imaginable that there's no such thing as a quick or easy job. For the past year, pain has been her constant companion, and death her only refuge.

When she falls int
Published December 13th 2012 by Holly Lisle

To ask other readers questions about Warpaint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warpaint

Zoe Cannon
I’ve been a fan of Holly Lisle’s writing courses for years. Like many, I read and love her fiction but know her better for her nonfiction. But with this book, she may have just cemented herself as one of my favorite fiction authors of all time.

Fifteen years went by between the publication of the first book in the series and the sequel, but it picks up without missing a beat. There are no inconsistencies, no differences in tone between this book and the last. The only difference is in the storyte
Kelly Guerra
Feb 06, 2013 Kelly Guerra rated it really liked it
After more than a decade of working on other projects, Holly Lisle takes you once again into the world of determined bounty hunter Cadence Drake. Things have worsened since Cady’s adventures in Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood and the future of the entire human race rests on the knowledge that Cady alone possesses. After soldiering on her own for about a year, the stress of her personal mission catches up to her and she realizes that she can’t do this alone. In a galaxy where it’s increasingly ...more
Katharina Gerlach
May 02, 2013 Katharina Gerlach rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
I bought myself this book as a Christmas present to myself, and I didn't regret it. It was just as fast paced as the previous volume although it had less action (in the sense of running, hiding and moving around, there was plenty of other, intelligent action). Cady is developing into a character less hunted by her past but still very focussed. I recommend this book to anyone who likes intelligent SciFi with a female main character who isn't superwoman but could have been... ;-)
Margaret Fisk
Jul 08, 2015 Margaret Fisk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I was lucky enough to be offered an ARC of Warpaint, a bonus of having Holly as a friend, but her timeline for notes was really tight, and I was away for most of it with no time to read (see Monday’s post). I didn’t think I’d make it, and I’m later than I like to be on posting a review (almost gave up on posting a review today), but despite everything, and despite having a splitting sinus headache, I couldn’t stop reading. Wow, just wow.

Warpaint is all the wonderful parts of Holly’s writing with
Claudette Young
Dec 19, 2012 Claudette Young rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction

A must for sci-fi readers: Cadence Drake’s back in Warpaint!

by Claudette J. Young

This is a book review from: Warpaint: A Cadence Drake Novel (volume 2) (Paperback)

This heroine of the star lanes has started along the war trail, painted and ready to face the enemy. With her stand four souls who’ve seen the worst that humanity can hand out, and they’ve come out swinging to save that very humanity from a fate beyond death—an immortality that feeds on death.
Holly Lisle’s Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood
Dawn Hamsher
Aug 22, 2013 Dawn Hamsher rated it it was amazing
While Warpaint wasn’t as graphic blood/guts-wise or as heart-pounding as “Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood”, it definitely delivers on sci-fi adventure. I love the impossible situations Holly Lisle puts her characters in. She’s got guts as a writer and that shines through in this series! The MC, Cady Drake, a freelance detective-of-sorts (she hunts for lost items) also has a lots of guts as she takes on the bad guys. I was very excited to see the new cast of characters that assisted her in her quest ...more
Betty
Jul 22, 2016 Betty rated it really liked it
A surprisingly uplifting book considering the external conflict is the destruction of all humanity. It's as much about Cady relearning how to live without Badger as it is about saving the world, and honestly her emotional conflict mattered more to me than the saving the world aspect. Herog was my favorite character, but Tarko was also pretty fabulous.

Some really interesting bits on the Kartach Norgan (a test kind on power, corruption, and I guess resistance to authority), how much space and fre
Paula
Aug 06, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing
Second installment of Lisle's Cadence Drake novels, Warpaint was anything but a disappointment. At first I was a little let down that the antagonists were of a very similar nature to those in Hunting the Corrigan's Blood, but Lisle quickly brought me to the edge of my seat regardless, and I highly enjoyed reading it. If you liked Hunting the Corrigan's Blood, you'll love Warpaint, but it's still good even if you haven't read the first installment. They're written as stand-alone novels, however I ...more
Eva Cg
Jan 19, 2013 Eva Cg rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable book, a good story, kept me up during a peaceful night shift until I finished it. I'll continue with reading the series. I just can't warm up to Cady very much, however. I mean, it's easy to want her to win and all that, but the love part of the story, admittedly not in the central view of the plot, just didn't work for me. Maybe I need to reread the book. Regardless, a good read and to be recommended.
Jenni
Dec 27, 2012 Jenni rated it it was amazing
I loved the first novel in this series, Hunting the Corrigan's Blood. This one was just as good, delving much deeper into the character motivations and world of Cadence Drake. I loved the intense save-humanity plot and stayed up late into the night reading.

Science fiction is not normally a genre I read, but I stumbled on this author in search of writing courses, which she also provides, and I have become engrossed in the worlds she creates.
Jessie Haynes
Oct 08, 2015 Jessie Haynes rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I return to, often, because I am entranced with both the action of the story and the intense emotional reaction I have to its themes, every time. This is a book not easily forgotten and one you'll read, and read again. Space vampires, what's not to like, after all?
Jonathan
Jan 23, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. It seemed to be a lot more straight forward than the first book in the series, because I saw most of it coming. And I'm not sure I believe the ending would have gone that way. So only 4 stars instead of 5.
Giana Tondolo Bonilla
Giana Tondolo Bonilla rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Kristen Walker
Kristen Walker rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Tom Vetter
Tom Vetter rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Mark Harris
Mark Harris rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
Christine Lewis
Christine Lewis rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Kelley
Kelley rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Kylie
Kylie rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Jennifer Tauber
Jennifer Tauber rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2013
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Jessie Haynes
Jessie Haynes rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Courtney Friedman
Courtney Friedman rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Juneta Key
Apr 25, 2013 Juneta Key rated it it was amazing
Unexpected twist, face pace space tale, enjoyed the read
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Ethan James Clarke
Ethan James Clarke rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t
More about Holly Lisle...

Cadence Drake (2 books)
  • Hunting the Corrigan's Blood (Cadence Drake, #1)

“Act to prevent the worst thing that could happen if you don’t act.” 0 likes
“In this moment, in whatever form it comes, lies the only opportunity I will ever have to act, to think, to love. Only this moment, out of every moment I have ever lived, or will ever live, allows me to matter now.” 0 likes