Start by marking “The Blue” as Want to Read:
The Blue

The Blue

Derek may or may not deserve to be stalked by an unhinged ex-marine - he's not sure. He did kill the man's entire family in a car accident, and he may have been drinking, though thanks to the resulting coma he can't remember much about that day. And that's okay, because Derek is learning all about it from the district attorney as he explains to the jury why the young ...more
Kindle Edition, 1.0, 200 pages
Published December 20th 2012 (first published December 19th 2012)

Stacy
Jun 12, 2013 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book! Short read, but definitely made you think the whole way through. Empathesized with the main character, but not sure if he was guilty or not. Ending surprised me. Still thinking through that. A lot of questions not answered at the end...but, isn't that life?
Christine D.
Feb 12, 2013 Christine D. rated it it was amazing
I was eager to read Scott Kelly's latest release, The Blue. I was left stunned by [SIC], so I could not resist. Initially, I was worried that my expectations for the The Blue would be too high. Fortunately, Kelly proved me wrong and has now left me with the hard task of reviewing this book without sounding like a fanatic. I loved it. It comprised of a fast-paced plot that left me on the edge - the epitome of a thriller.

Derek Weaver is your typical aspiring artist who seems to have no ambition in
Leslie
Jan 04, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best novels I've read in a while. At first, we are sympathetic to Derek and the situation in which he finds himself. Then we begin to wonder. Then we are taken on a psychological ride as the author unfolds this story to us through Derek's thoughts, feelings, and experiences. It is skillfully written, and not a line is wasted in this book.

The supporting characters are not particularly well-developed. While this could be seen as a shortcoming in the book, critics need to remembe
Jane Geddis
Jan 03, 2013 Jane Geddis rated it it was amazing
You will be inside Derek's head from the first page. And Derek's head tunes in the world skewed off the center signal. The novel deals with memory, perception, alcoholism and crime. So do a lot of other novels. What sets "The Blue" apart is the first person narrative. Derek is a fully realized individual who after a car accident has little memory and suffers face blindness where he cannot recognize faces and can't tell his doctors apart, nor recognize his parents. He has people who want to kill ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
Alright, so the premise might have interested me more if I hadn't already read a book about face blindness. As it was, this was pretty much just an average book to me. The plot was okay, not revolutionary but not too tired either. The characters were kind of...repulsive is the wrong word, but in that vein. Also, the sex scene was utterly unnecessary and super squicky, but maybe that's because I loathe graphic sex scenes in all their forms.

Overall, this could have been better but it was an okay w
Mimi
Apr 12, 2013 Mimi rated it it was amazing
FAN-freaking-tastic read!! I loved and hated the main character Derek. The end came out of nowhere abruptly - I wasn't ready for it to be over. I could not put this down. Some gaps in story/characters, but did not affect how much I enjoyed this book. Definitely want to read more from this author.
Lori Weis coffman
Apr 22, 2013 Lori Weis coffman rated it really liked it
This novel had quite an interesting stream of consciousness narrative about it. You become sympathetic to Derek but are not entirely convinced of his guilt or innocence. Too many other players skew details of his experience. Quite refreshing and a quick read.
Carol Somers
May 23, 2013 Carol Somers rated it really liked it
I just read that Bradd Pitt now claims to suffer from the same disease the main character in this book has. Hmmmm. Interesting. Anyway, I do recommend this book. Just now getting into this author.

Jenny
Apr 30, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
This book was a conundrum for me. I really don't like Derek, but found what he was going through fascinating. Not my normal reading, but really good.
Dylan Edwards
Jan 09, 2013 Dylan Edwards rated it it was amazing
Would have liked this a lot more if Scott Kelly had fleshed out the story ..though i really enjoyed reading Derek's story
Sara
Jan 05, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. Great writing and a plot that makes you not want to put it down. I read another book by Kelly and this one was even better. More for adults than [SIC]
Vladimir
Jun 17, 2013 Vladimir rated it really liked it
Interesting read. The ending was a bit below my expectations, but overall pretty good.
Tara
Apr 17, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
A thriller easy to read. Couldn't put it down.
Stephen
Jul 15, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
A nice read. Wasn't quite 100% with the end but I liked it and will read more from Scott Kelly.
Lucinda
Imagine waking up from an accident and not being about to recognise faces, even your own? What a scary premise for an interesting story. The main character is not exactly likeable but, as the story is written in first person, you can go through the fear and confusion with him. I found the ending to be a bit abrupt though. 3.5 stars
Laura Greenwood

Title: The Blue
Author: Scott Kelly
From: Amazon
Release Date: 20th December 2012
Genre: Contemporary
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When failed artist, Derek, crashes his car into an oncoming van, he accidentally kills a family of three and leaves himself brain damaged. Unable to recognise the faces of anyone around him, regardless of if he loves them like his parents and ex-wife, Natalie, or fears them, like the Brother of the man he killed. Ke
Susan Laine
Sep 18, 2013 Susan Laine rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. Face blindness along with blackouts? Now that is something we don't often see. With a killer stalking him, Derek is confused, afraid, and even guilty when he has no idea why someone he can't recognize would want him dead. Even though he is a murderer... sort of. A car accident has lead him to this. But was it his fault? This is just the premise of this story.

This story made me uneasy the whole time, but in a good way. Since we're getting this story from Derek's first person point of
Twobookworms
Jun 03, 2015 Twobookworms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a book about a touchy subject that made me think so much about my opinions as this book did. The Blue, by Scott Kelly is the kind of book that puts you in the head of a guy whose car skids across a highway median and collides with another car. He awakes out of a coma in the hospital as he is attacked by the brother of the man driving the other car, learning that not only the driver but one of the driver's two children in the car died on impact. The other is in the hospital not ...more
Richa
Jul 25, 2016 Richa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!
It has been quite a while since I read a real good book and this one, fits exactly into the definition of an 'excellent book'.
I consider myself lucky since the author offered this book free for a limited time (I checked. It isn't free anymore) and I landed a copy. One of the few times I haven't missed a good opportunity.
I love court room dramas. This book is a wonderful one. But, its more than just a courtroom drama.
It is deep, abstract, funny, witty, profound, philosophical a
Bandit
Apr 13, 2016 Bandit rated it liked it
It's tough to maintain the same sort of expectations for random kindle freebies as one might have for major company published books by known authors. But this wasn't much of a gamble since I've read Scott Kelly before and was reasonably entertained, despite the YA aspect of it all. This book is definitely more of an adult oriented story, including the cast adult characters, the main one gets into a terrible car crash, from which he walks away (with the imprecisely named face blindness)and the ...more
Shari443
Mar 20, 2013 Shari443 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, drama
This is a book about a man who gets into an car accident and 3 people in the other vehicle are killed. The man in the first vehicle goes into a coma and when he wakes he finds that he cannot remember the time before the accident and also cannot recognize anyone's face anymore. The brother of the family he killed is trying to kill him and the main character finds that he cannot recognize the face of the man who wants to see him dead. This was a good book and I enjoyed reading it. The ending ...more
Helen Djemal
May 04, 2016 Helen Djemal rated it it was amazing
Barbara L. Rose
Apr 01, 2016 Barbara L. Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different type of story

I found Mr Kelly's book offered on Kindle unlimited. I am not a specific genre reader, so I decided to give him a try. What I found was a very well written thought provoking story. A book to entertain and make you think. He is listed as a young suspense writer, but I am in my sixties and really enjoyed this work. His characters are well developed yet flawed as we all are. This book would make good book club discussion. Thank you Mr. Kelly for a very good read. I will loo
Uma Aiyer
Oct 07, 2015 Uma Aiyer rated it liked it
I like the writing style. A lot.
But it's unfortunate that the story didn't pan out too well. And the fact that the characters were so loosely written was just sad.
I wanted to know more about Natalie... Was there a story to the rose tattoo? One that involved her getting sober maybe?
A little more about the Brother would have been useful... Was he military? Or just a punk?
It's most likely that this book isn't more highly rated because the story was (sort of) incomplete. I'm going to sign up for
Sue
Derek suffers from a condition called face blindness, in which he cannot recognize anyone - family, friends, foes- no matter, no recognition. This really screws with him due to fact he obtained this from a head injury from a drunk driving accident in which he killed others. He is hunted by family members of the deceased, and at the same time is trying to deal with accepting himself and what has been done. Dark read. But held my interest.
Jenna
Mar 10, 2016 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome thriller

I found this to be just another great Kelly story, as I have read several. But this one was far different from the others I've read... it not only keeps you engaged but makes you wonder what's going to happen next. Although the ending wasn't what I'd expected but it did leave on a happy note. For something out of the ordinary to read this is a definite must, and very gritty indeed.
Akeiisa
May 03, 2013 Akeiisa rated it it was ok
The Blue opens with the slow motion, minutia of a car accident in which the narrator, Derek, may or may not have been drunk. When he wakens from a coma, Derek is confronted with possible criminal charges, an angry brother of the family he hit, and an inability to recognize faces. This story mostly fell flat for me. The face blind painter felt gimmicky and there were no redeeming qualities to be found in this anti-hero tale full of flawed people.
Kathi Defranc
Feb 28, 2016 Kathi Defranc rated it really liked it
Very interesting book, about a man who has an accident that kills people in the car he hits,how he tries to remember what happened, the feelings of the family left with members gone and how they all try to work out their problems in different manners. Makes you wonder what you would do ,how you would react yourself if you had to manage the thoughts in your head,of guilt,fear,unknowing....
Heather
Feb 25, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
What a horrible brain injury!! Derek was drinking and caused a car accident (or was it the nail?). The people in the other vehicle were killed and Derek received a injury that damaged the part of his brain that recognizes faces. That would totally suck not to recognize anyone--not mom or dad, of the guy trying to kill you, or even yourself.
Enjoyed the book.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jessica by: Kindle
Shelves: fiction
A mess of a super-repetitive story with a lack of editing so bad that 'petals' are 'pedals' and 'at first glance' is 'at first glass.' Abrupt, not believable ending leaves plenty of room for the author to beat this dead horse in another book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Subculture
  • First Time Killer
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • Connected
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Kingdom by the Sea
  • Eyes of the Predator: The Pickham County Murders
  • Rescuing Olivia
  • The Henchmen's Book Club
  • Dire Means
  • The King of Terrors
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Perilous (Perilous, #1)
  • The Weight of Glass
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1)
  • Messages
  • Thirst
Scott Kelly started writing novels as a teenager. When he was nineteen, he landed a publishing deal for his novel Jimwamba, which was followed by his works [sic], The Blue, and Keep the Ghost. Now thirty-two, he has received awards, been published by independent presses, topped charts on social writing websites like Wattpad, garnered hundreds of positive reviews and ratings on Goodreads, and ...more
More about Scott Kelly...

“The Blue by Scott Kelly.” 0 likes