Start by marking “The Nut Hut” as Want to Read:
The Nut Hut

The Nut Hut

In late January, 1971, eighteen-year-old Becky Decker reported for her first day of work at Byerley State Hospital and School, a state-run institution spoken of mostly in whispers. She hoped to make friends, and to "make a difference" in her very first job. What she found during that week was a world of heartbreak and hope in a universe that no longer exists.
Published December 20th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Nut Hut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nut Hut

Becky
Dec 29, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!!! Kathleen Taylor's mystery series is one of the best, and her move into a different genre with The Nut Hut is just as good if not even better.She always writes so that you can picture the story in your head and with The Nut Hut it is so clear I feel like I know Becky Decker. I wanted to cheer for her, or give her a hug. Mrs. Taylor you need to write more books!!!
Shell
Jan 07, 2013 Shell rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Taylor found a way to entertain us with truth's about state run institutions in the 70's.
Becky Decker is young and fresh from high school. She wants to go off to college, but with her brother in service of his country, she needs to earn her own way in. To do so, she finds herself a job at "The Nut Hut", a facility for the mentally handicapped, where she feels she can make a difference while working. Her experience is eye opening, difficult, and something that would make a lesser person
Debra
Dec 23, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
New fiction from Kathleen Taylor! It has been way too long since the untimely demise of her Tori Bauer mystery series, notable for the humor and great characters.

The Nut Hut is quite different in that it is not a mystery, and the humor is less prominent. Still, I really did enjoy reading it, especially for the characters who seemed quite real to me. The plot was rather predictable, but still I am so glad that she published this. Looking forward (with any luck) to her next fiction title.
Jean
Oct 08, 2016 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-illness
Strikingly honest look at working at a mental institution during the 70's. So much happened in a very short time span. Love Kathleen Taylor!
Craig Allen
Mar 03, 2013 Craig Allen rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this look into a fictional mental/retardation hospital. This is the story of Becky Decker, an 18 year old nieve girl that has her first job at a well known institution and her first week and how it changes her. It's interesting that at first she fears the clients but soon learns the staff is more dangerous than the clients, sort of like in zombie books when the other humans become more evil than said zombies. My nitpick is that this is the story of her first week on the job, ...more
Tope2u
Sep 18, 2013 Tope2u rated it liked it
I read this book thanks to recommendations from M'Lou and my sister, Amy. It is a very inexpensive ebook on Amazon, and my expectations were relatively low.
The writing is fine although not particularly distinguished. The story is a bit like a Billy Joel song: A slice of life in America, with a gritty sense of truth and reality on the side.
Surprisingly, Taylor's work continues to stick in my mind suggesting that the work may be deserving of closer reading. But, not by me - I'm a "one and done" k
Jackie
Feb 07, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Having worked with those with special needs, I was brought back to all the nearly unbelievable scenarios we encounter day-to-day. Taylor writes with an authenticity I did not expect. And in the middle of all the character-building and setting of the scene, she somehow manages to weave a tale with twists and turns I didn't see coming.
sarah parker
Jan 12, 2015 sarah parker rated it it was amazing
The title of this book lives up to it's name. Having a job means everything to an unprepared but determined new employee of a mental institution. No two days are the same regarding the patients, adding the pressures of the management and other employees can make or break a person. This is a good eye-opening story.
Michelle Harmdierks
Feb 14, 2014 Michelle Harmdierks rated it it was amazing
Another good read by Kathleen Taylor!

Kathleen Taylor gives you details enough you feel like you are involved in the story, the Nut Hut and all of Kathleen Taylor books keeps you reading and wanting more.
Ellen Neugebauer
Ellen Neugebauer rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Ashia
Ashia rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
B
B rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
seejacread
seejacread rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2016
Jan Froehlich
Jan Froehlich rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2013
Elvita
Elvita rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Becky Rollings-vannoort
Becky Rollings-vannoort rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Missy
Missy rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
theknitsmith
theknitsmith rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Danette Newman
Danette Newman rated it it was ok
May 10, 2016
Corissia
Corissia rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Margaret Brickell
Margaret Brickell rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Nancy Terpening
Nancy Terpening rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
Marilyn
Feb 10, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Eye opening. Realistic.
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Pep
Pep rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Kathleen Taylor is a freelance knitwear designer and a prolific writer. She is the author of the popular book Knit One, Felt Too, and her knitting designs have appeared in more than 50 different magazines. She lives in Redfield, South Dakota.

Note: There is more than one author on Goodreads with this name. This profile is for Kathleen^Taylor.
More about Kathleen Taylor...