Start by marking “Dance As a Way of Knowing (Strategies for Teaching and Learning Professional Library)” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews

Jennifer Donohue Zakkai illuminates why and how dance is a powerful tool for learning and creativity in K–6 classrooms. In this “workshop on paper” you'll discover how to build on what you already know about movement, and implement techniques to tap into children's natural appetite for moving.

Zakkai addresses the challenges of engaging students in full-bodied motion in t

Published January 1st 1997 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dance As a Way of Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance As a Way of Knowing

Kelsey
This was a well-written book and both inspired me with the educational value of dance (which I didn't recognize before) and gave me some concrete examples and ideas. I'm not sure the material was organized in the best way, though. The drama book (Drama As a Way of Knowing) defined one "branch" of drama and then outlined its developmental stages within a chapter all about that branch.

This book had three chapters of developmental stages (natural, creative and aesthetic) and traced each of the "bra
Rachel
Mar 19, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dance Specialists and/or elementary educators wanting to move more with their students
Recommended to Rachel by: Art Works for Kids
Shelves: arts-education
For those who are interested or involved in teaching dance, this is a great resource for dance education. These types of quality books are few and far between. I am an elementary dance specialist, mainly teaching creative dance and I use this book as one of my resources when teaching professional development workshops/conferences to elementary teachers and other specialists.
Second Language Learners