Start by marking “The Roman Emperors: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome, 31 BC-476” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
One of the greatest multiracial states the world has ever known, the Roman Empire stretched from Britain to the Sahara & from the Atlantic to the Euphrates. Vast & powerful, Imperial Rome instituted many conventions that distinguish life today--reason enough for us to wonder about the men who ruled in her name. Some early writers painted vivid portraits that, with ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Barnes and Noble (NY) (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Roman Emperors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roman Emperors

Kathryn
Jan 17, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2005, 2013
1st Recorded Reading: October, 2005

According to my records, I read this book back in 2005; but I decided to read it again, not least because I had bought a new used copy. It is a good book, going through all the Emperors chronologically (all 92 of them), and is a very good resource volume. It is a book that I very much enjoyed reading; not least because it helps to remember the past to help understand the present and to plan for the future.

The Roman Empire has a definite beginning, with the acce
Terence
Like the Oxford Dictionary of Popes, Grant packs a lot of information into necessarily brief essays on every Roman emperor from Augustus Caesar to Romulus Augustus but if you need to know about Pertinax's senatorial career or the first Gordian's family background, this is the reference for you.
Sean Chick
Dec 29, 2014 Sean Chick rated it really liked it
A superb reference work but perhaps I am being too harsh when I ask for more. I kept wondering how the empire kept going on despite such chaos in the empire's leadership. Most of these emperor's were killed, which makes Romulus Augustulus interesting: it seems he was not murdered.
Jerry Mrizek
Feb 03, 2016 Jerry Mrizek rated it liked it
Is what it is, an encyclopedia of Roman emperors. Nothing in depth but a good reference to have.
Roy
May 01, 2015 Roy rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Yet another history by Michael Grant.
Karolinde (Kari)
Apr 19, 2009 Karolinde (Kari) rated it liked it
Shelves: roman-empire
All though a little dry, there was a lot of great information in this book. It covers all of the Roman Emperors from Augustus to the fall of the Western Empire. Grant evens includes tidbits on upstarts who managed to actually get power for a small time. It seems well researched and I really learned a lot. I would have liked a complete biography through the end of the Byzantine Empire, but it was still a worth the time I took to read it.
John
Mar 09, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, worth reading, but heavy-going at times.
Jen
Apr 08, 2016 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-romans
It's good as a reference, but not to read straight-through. Plus, I could have done without the author referring to homosexual emperors as "sexual inverts."
Nathaniel
Mar 19, 2009 Nathaniel rated it liked it
Lots of information, but as difficult to read as you'd imagine if you wanted to give the biography of every single Roman emperor that ever lived.
Jun 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it

A bit hard to keep track of the names in later years, but a good read. Interesting that Romulus Augustulus wasn't the last Emperor.
Kwende
Aug 19, 2012 Kwende rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you want to know about the Roman Emperors but where afraid to ask!
Bret
May 24, 2016 Bret rated it really liked it
I will never finish reading this book - toward my betterment.
Tyler
Mar 11, 2013 Tyler rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
Really slow read.
Cj
Cj marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Eric Baxter
Eric Baxter marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Dean Marais
Dean Marais is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Zohebali Khan
Zohebali Khan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
O.T.Bryan
O.T.Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Ola Lygre
Ola Lygre marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Gregor Campbell
Gregor Campbell marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Caleb Karges
Caleb Karges marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Nataraj
Nataraj marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Joe Liporace
Joe Liporace marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome: The People and the City at the Height of the Empire
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome
  • As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook in Roman Social History
  • The Great Fire of Rome: The Fall of the Emperor Nero and His City
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Julius Caesar: Man, Soldier, And Tyrant
  • Caligula: The Corruption of Power
  • The Last Generation of the Roman Republic
  • Caesar: A Biography
  • Dark History of the Roman Emperors: From Julius Caesar to the Fall of Rome
  • Emperors of Rome: The Story of Imperial Rome from Julius Ceasar to the Last Emperor
  • The Ruin of the Roman Empire: A New History
  • Pompeii: The Living City
  • The Colosseum
  • Caesar (Emperors, #3)
  • 69 A.D.: The Year of Four Emperors: The Year of the Four Emperors
  • The Enemies of Rome: From Hannibal to Attila the Hun
  • Julius/Augustus/Tiberius/Gaius/Caligula (Lives of the Caesars 1)
Michael Grant was an English classisist, numismatist, and author of numerous popular books on ancient history. His 1956 translation of Tacitus’s Annals of Imperial Rome remains a standard of the work. He once described himself as "one of the very few freelances in the field of ancient history: a rare phenomenon". As a popularizer, his hallmarks were his prolific output and his unwillingness to ove ...more
More about Michael Grant...