Start by marking “If You Come to California” as Want to Read:
If You Come to California

If You Come to California

Josie Foley, home-schooled loser, finds solace in one thing in her miserable life: music. When U.S.A Talent auditions hit the East Coast her geeky, only-friend urges her to leave their small hometown and attend the forbidden event.

Josie is suddenly hurled into L.A.'s underbelly, an unfamiliar world of drugs, parties and crime introduced to her by the bewitching and mysteri
Published December 18th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about If You Come to California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Come to California

Alexis *Reality Bites*
Dec 29, 2012 Alexis *Reality Bites* marked it as put-on-hold
ON HOLD FOR NOW..
Ashlynn
Dec 26, 2012 Ashlynn rated it it was amazing
REALLY liked this! Maybe because I reside in L.A. This is every person's story....like everyone who moves out here and is obsessed with being famous. I've known many fucked up people like Mickey Solomon and SNL, etc. The Vanessa character made me wanna hurl--what a c-word.

I like how this incorporated drugs, sex, and rock n roll but the story also follows her struggle on that reality show and you're wondering if she's going to win throughout the book.
Anasylvia
Dec 28, 2012 Anasylvia rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was such a joy to read. It had humor and sadness intertwined so well. The story follows Josie a naive sheltered small town girl who loves music and dreams of getting away from her father's religious fanaticism. She tries out for a talent show much like American Idol and actually manages to make it on the show. During the audition she meets a beautiful girl named Vanessa who makes her feel special and promises to help her out if she comes to California. She manages to make it out a ...more
Mygel
Mar 06, 2013 Mygel rated it it was amazing
I read this book while making dinner and dragged it with me into the bathtub because I couldn't put it down.

Nichole Naumann transported me to different worlds, spellbinding me with details of rural hick towns, seedy strip clubs, glittering stage performances, and opulent shorelines of LA. I traveled with the main character across America and shared in her journey.

Josie, the main character, is lovable. She's a sheltered girl with a good head on her shoulders, and as the book unfolded, I bit my na
Cristina
Jan 25, 2013 Cristina rated it liked it
Shelves: own
3.5 stars....

This book reads like a teenage soap. It's predictable at times, but you can't stop reading it.

I hated every single character, but the story itself was what kept me reading it.They're a bunch of self-absorbed, racist, xenophobic attention seeking, privileged white kids. They hate Mexicans, but love Mexican culture apparently.
SNL and Noah were tolerable. I really liked them.

Enough about the characters, the plot itself was fantastic. I was hooked from the first page. There were twists
Wendy Pierce
Jan 17, 2013 Wendy Pierce rated it really liked it
I live a little over an hour outside of LA, although I have never seen the mean streets of LA like Josie did I have definitely seen the drama and lifestyle that being in that area can bring. Josie had her fair share of ups and downs in “Tinseltown”, but she found out more about herself during her struggle on U.S.A. Talent, than she had in the first eighteen years of her life back in Jersey. There were parts of the book I was screaming at her and there were parts that I was cheering her on. I fou ...more
Hannah Young
Dec 30, 2012 Hannah Young rated it it was amazing
I read this book in about two days. Once you start reading you won't be able to put it down. The author is an excellent story teller who weaves a climatic tale surrounding the marvels and dangers of LA, of betrayal, falling in love and growing up. In the style of Kevin Brook's Candy, she draws you into the characters world, stringing you along as the story surmounts to its dramatic and fateful end. You will identify with this book if you have ever felt trapped in a mundane life, dreamed of movin ...more
Lauren
Jan 18, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I was a firstreads winner of this book, and boy am I glad I had the chance to read it! Josie is from a small backwoods town but she dreams of fame. A talent show hosts auditions and she makes it on the show. This book takes you through Josie's new life in California. You see how desperate some are for fame and fortune. Amazing story line that continues to pull you in, excellent characters, some you hate and some you love that grow and develop with the story. I felt like I was with Josie seeing e ...more
Nicci Hartland
****GOODREADS GIVEAWAY WINNER****

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this book. A naive smalltown girl tries to pursue her dream on the countries biggest talent show and get embroiled in the darker side of LA drugs, parties and crime.

This book kept my attention throughout with a good solid storyline. There were times I wanted to smack Josie for being so naive and Van for being such a b1tch. Even the bad guy Mickey did have a heart of gold in his tattooed body.

Well worth a read.
Ashley
May 03, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Christine
Jun 14, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-books
This was a very interesting book. It kept me coming back even when I should have been doing other things :)! It was easy to read. Easy to connect with the characters! Like making friends, and enemies! Good Read!
Jocie Stoudt
Dec 31, 2012 Jocie Stoudt rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I finished it about a week ago now, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since then. Something about it is so enticing and extremely hard to put down. I'm definitely going to read it again, and I recommend it to everyone. Truly brilliant!
Jacqueline Anzalone
Aug 03, 2013 Jacqueline Anzalone rated it it was amazing
Where to begin, truth, lies, hollywood, twists and turns, dreams and reality, laughing and crying, it's all here. Nichole Naumann is a talented writer with a mind like no other! Can't wait to read the next creation!
Shelly
Mar 11, 2017 Shelly rated it liked it
Highly addictive story. While it read like a teenager writing down her daydreams I still really couldn't put it down. I wonder why the author never wrote any other books. I would definitely check them out if they were out there.
Kim DeSalvo
Mar 15, 2013 Kim DeSalvo rated it it was amazing
OK, I admit it. I watch American Idol occasionally. I mean, who doesn’t love a ‘rags to riches’ story, especially when someone with real talent overcomes the odds and makes it to the big time? It’s kind of a squeaky clean show, but we all know that there’s a dark side too; a yin to the yang, so to speak. LA isn’t a squeaky clean place, and more than a handful of people flock there with high hopes only to find themselves tangled in the web of its alter-ego. “If You Come to California” is that kin ...more
Stacey
Mar 16, 2014 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: rockstars-bands
This book lies out the down side to moving to LA to make it big.

Josie - the naive Jersey girl who wants to make it on the show "USA Talent"
Vanessa - the blood sucking b*tch who would sell her grandmother if it could help her advance her "career" on USA Talent - also see back staber, and crazy.
Mickey - the drug dealer/thug/illegal marriage broker who has a soft spot for Josie
Christian - Josie's first love and first heartbreak - aka 80's hair God - also a contestant on USA Talent.
Dante - Coked up
Abby Lutz
Oct 15, 2013 Abby Lutz rated it it was amazing
I usually am not big on writing reviews, but If You Come To California was a fantastic book. You seem to think you know what is going to happen: a typical teen angst story, but no. I was hooked from the beginning and the ending has such a surprising spin! Anyone from a small town can definitely relate to the main character Josie and the troubles in her life. Should be on everyone's to read list!
Brandon T.
Aug 08, 2013 Brandon T. rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. The writing isn't great and it is sometimes predictable but I couldn't stop reading it. Very good story.
Ycckk
Sep 07, 2013 Ycckk rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyed it...def kept my interest throughout.
Xina
Xina rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Linda Frantz
Linda Frantz rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Jyothsna
Jyothsna rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Brittany Troncoso
Brittany Troncoso rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2014
Christina  Rowe
Christina Rowe rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Pauline
Pauline rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Vanessa Spadafora VS. Mickey Solomon 2 4 Jan 21, 2013 11:36AM
  • Ransom Dreams
  • Dark Entry
  • The Protectors Christmas Box Set
  • Phoenix Feather
  • Grandmaster's Legacy (Erotic Historical Suspense, Box Set)
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Saving Jackie K
  • The Boots My Mother Gave Me
  • Blood Type (Blood Type, #1)
  • Killing Down the Roman Line
  • Small Kindnesses
  • My Future Husband
  • Capture
  • The Vicarage Bench Anthology
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • Condemn Me Not
  • Ascendancy (The Godswar Saga, #1)
  • Delusions of Grandeur
Nichole Naumann lives in a tiny, run-down apartment by the beach in Los Angeles, California with her cat and her much-older boyfriend. She won third place in Seventeen Magazine's annual fiction contest (2005) with a story she proudly called "A Curse In South Nestor." She's currently writing a pilot for a television show and working on her second book.

Check out IF YOU COME TO CALIFORNIA, her debut
More about Nichole Naumann...