Start by marking “Becoming Human (The Exilon 5 Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Becoming Human (The Exilon 5 Trilogy, #1)
Open Preview read excerpt

Becoming Human (Exilon 5 #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Two worlds.Two species. One terrifying secret.

A dystopian Earth forces humans to scour the galaxy for a new home.

The discovery of another race on the new planet is disrupting efforts to relocate the entire population.

The Indigenes, the race that occupies Exilon 5, must become human to protect their species from further harm.

A terrifying secret will change everything.

In 216
Published December 18th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published December 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Human

The Man Who Watched The World End by Chris DietzelBecoming Human by Eliza GreenThe Zoo by Stephen   BlackOperation Dark Angel by Pam FunkeCreating Monsters by Christopher Rankin
Dystopia by New Authors
2nd out of 29 books — 25 voters
The Man Who Watched The World End by Chris DietzelIn The Devil's Own Words by Elizabeth WixleyReflections by Elizabeth WixleyOrigins by S.E. MeyerThe Harvest by Anne Ferretti
Lesser Known End of the World Fiction
7th out of 99 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Imagine a world, 150 years from now, without wars, reigned by a single World Government, where global warming is a thing of the past and food comes from machines called replicators.
Nice, huh?

Unfortunately this world is inhabited by 20 billion people, the World Government is corrupt, sunlight hardly reaches the surface anymore making it cold as hell, and the air is only breathable through filter-masks filled with some gel.
Not so nice anymore.

Fortunately there is another planet just 2 weeks trave
Dianne
In the future, through overuse, over abuse and over-population, Earth has become toxic to human life. Light years away, exoplanet Exilon 5 is discovered to be a plausible place to relocate humans to. Only problem? It’s already inhabited by another species. Solution? Force the indigenous population to die, or adapt to the changes necessary to support human life. Or, just maybe, they will learn to adapt and hide underground, seeking ways to learn about the invaders. Maybe they have grown smarter, ...more
Jill
I've been on an urban fantasy kick for a long while now, and I found it refreshing to read something in my friendly old genre Sci-fi. In the story, the earth is dying, having been overrun and destroyed by humanity. The "world government" has terraformed a new planet and is shuttling people to it slowly.

This book follows several characters. It follows Bill, a high level government official who thinks the natives of the planet killed his wife. It follows a few natives, and a few characters back o
E.K. Carmel
I won a copy of Becoming Human by Eliza Green when the author guest posted on a blog I read. I had never heard of the author but liked her "voice" in the post and thought the book sounded interesting. It's the first of what I understand is a planned trilogy and I think it's very good for a first publishing effort. Ms. Green is an indie author and I was impressed by the level of professionalism here - the cover was beautiful, the copy editing was superb, and I only had a small quibble with the co ...more
Eydís
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved it.

The story is written from several points of view, both on Earth and Exilon 5, and personally I loved these sneak peaks into a not too distant future; each character giving their unique flavour and adding to the big picture.

The characters were believable, each with their own distinct personality; driven by their goals for the future or demons of the past (or present).

It pleased me that even though halfway into the novel I
Jessica
This was a really good book. A great break from all the young adult novels that I have been reading lately. It was written well and the book kept me intrigued the whole time. I think because I have read George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series I was able to follow all the different point of views and characters a lot easier. All the characters added something different to the story and I loved how it was starting to all tie together towards the end. That was done well especially with the ...more
G.G.
I decided to buy the book and give it a chance after reading the reviews (where it was sold). My EReader is full of free books from promotion but this one caught my attention. I hadn't read a sci-fi in a while so I thought, Why not?
Although a little bit hard to follow at times when the author moves from one character to another to introduce them I understood that at some point it would fit together. It was just hard to remember everything.
The author did an amazing job with the Indigene Stephen,
Brittany
Check out my blog to see Reviews of Books and Movies as well as Recipes and DIY projects

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Becoming Human (the 1st book in the Exilon 5 Trilogy) is written by Eliza Green. Admittedly I was surprised that this was written by a woman, from the first 1/3 of the book, I had the feeling that it was written by a man. Considering that the story is told predominantly through the eyes of men, I must commend Eliza on capturing the essence of man
John Picha
Insightful, and intriguing tour of the future

After poisoning the Earth, humanity packs up it's societal baggage and takes off for the stars. "Becoming Human" explores the middle history of humanity's future in a "grass is always greener in space" tale told from two planet's points of view. On Earth, characters go about their daily business while living in an ecological crisis. On Exilon 5, colonist of a New World Order attempt to make the environment more habitable for themselves, while forcing
Bieke {Istyria book blog}
Honestly, this is not a genre I usually read. No, correction. This is not a genre I usually enjoy. But I did! I enjoyed this book! Surprisingly so.

So, in this book the earth is dying. It's overrun and destroyed by humanity. The 'world government' has terraformed a new planet and is slowly bringing people to that planet. It has several POV's, both on earth and Exilon 5 (the new planet). And each character mattered and had their own voice!
We have Bill, a high level government official who doesn'
Krazykiwi
Becoming Human: The Exilon 5 Trilogy, Book 1 Hard to review this book. I think my score would be more a 3.5, but I like to support indie authors, so an extra half.

There's a LOT of exposition. Too much, I think. There are a million POV characters, to the point I lost track of who was who several times. There are so many story threads it's hard to follow, and the entire first 2/3 of the book feels like world building, backstory and in some places, filler. And yet...The story is great, many of the
Paddy O'callaghan
This novel cost me an entire day beacuse, like Magnus Magnusson, I started so I finished. I had no choice, I simply couldn't tear myself away. Terrific tome, brilliant book, spectacular story, call it what you will,I don't care, as long as you follow my advice, and buy it.

I suppose it smacks a little of legacy Star Trek, but is not in anyway derivative, and although I'd especially recommend the book to Trekkies/Trekkers, I see no reason that those who despise the franchise wouldn't love it as we
Curtis Macon
I enjoyed the story...but the writing/execution wasn't there for me. I'm interested enough to continue with the trilogy. I hope that now that one story is under her belt, Ms. Green will develop a bit more as a writer. I noticed that even as the 1st book progressed the writing got better. It was, however, rough for the 1st half of the book. There needed to be more character development and I felt as if I was missing background info on the story universe. There was a lack of description of setting ...more
Caitlin McColl
I really enjoyed this book. A lot! And I haven't read pure sci-fi in a long time, and so this was great. And i'm so glad the 2nd book was just released in December, because I can continue the story! If you're a sci-fi fan, I highly recommend this book! :)
Chanda Barrick
I really enjoyed this book. There was a major plot twist at the end that was a total surprise but explained Stephen's reaction to information he obtained earlier in the story. I would definitely like to know what happens next!

The only complaint I had about the story is the number of characters. While I understand the point in telling the story from the voice of various characters, I honestly had a hard time keeping up with who was who and who did what.

Overall though, I enjoyed reading this book!
Mariam Kobras
I picked this book up because of the twitter stir it was creating, and I have to say I'm not sorry I did! In fact I liked it so much that I bought the paper copy after first downloading the kindle version. In a way, the story reminded me a bit of Mary Doria Russell's "The Sparrow", which I also loved very much. Both books deal with misconceptions, the otherness of Alien societies, and how to deal with differences. Who is human – and who is MORE human?
I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Marte
A great story with an original twist. It seems like your usual science fiction book at first, with humans colonising a planet from another solar system called Exilon 5. It's a classic concept for science fiction novels, with the humans colonizing Exilon 5 trying to adapt to the new life on the planet. Life on Earth is difficult, as they can't go outside without breathing masks or warm clothing. Exilon 5 appears to be paradise in comparison to polluted and overpopulated Earth.

A long time ago Exil
Nicky
I usually hesitate to try new authors and instead stick with the ones I know but as this was offered to read and review (through read it and reap)and it sounded good I gave it a go.

I really enjoyed it! Great story, characters you really like and a good pace - no boring or dragged out chapters.

The only disappointment was that it ended! Can't wait to read the next one and would highly recommend this book. If you like futuristic sci-fi novels you will enjoy this one.
Lucinda
A dazzling distopian tale that’s highly imaginative and exciting

Taken on a thrilling adventure into the unknown, part one in the Exilon 5 trilogy is a gripping story and sensational start to a series of great premise. I was drawn to the beautiful cover of this book and the intriguing storyline, like nothing I had encountered within this genre before. Eliza Green’s extraordinary, in-depth world building constructs a panoramic view of the consequences of two worlds colliding where both sides want
Denis Vukosav
‘Becoming Human’ written by Eliza Green is the first installment of her The Exilon 5 Trilogy, an exciting science fiction dystopia that speaks about human not too distant future.

150 years into the future our planet is over-populated and unsuitable for life, therefore Earthlings must seek a new place to live on. Exoplanet Exilon 5 will be found, a perfect place for a continuation of human civilization with only one flaw – it is already populated by another species. A human logic is simple, domest
Writerlibrarian
The premise and world-building of this book are very solid, and the characters compelling. I'd liken it to a sci-fi Game of Thrones--a futuristic world told from many different points of view. As a reader, I would have liked to see more of some characters (Stephen and Laura) and perhaps less of some others. But I think it offers a wonderful build-up to what comes next in the series, and I look forward to the next installment!
Brianna Payne
This book was outstanding and was nothing like what I had expected. When I first saw the title and the cover art, I thought the book was going to be about either a vampire or werewolf for some reason. However, I was much more impressed and satisfied with the story presented. I did not expect the anything that happened. There are so many unexpected turn of events in this book, that will have yo wanting to continue reading. It is full of mysteries that you want to know more about and how things go ...more
Peter
No spoilers here. I was a little thrown off during the character development as the story jumped around to different main characters and locations, but it came nicely together and I enjoyed the suspense and mystery of it all. It's hard to resist a good conspiracy.
Rhonda
This was a stellar five star read for me! A book about the distant future and a world that struggles to survive against all the destruction that man has created to ruin the environment in which they now live in. In order to continue on and in their hopes of a better life they find and inhabit another planet. Every person's dream is the chance to go to this place to start a new and better life. I thought the author Eliza Green did a great job making this a believable story and she had great atten ...more
Heather
I really enjoyed this book! I was immediately invested and could not put the book down. I've been reading a lot of after Earth ends books lately and this was one of the more engaging ones.

I can't wait to read the next one!
Vanessa
Very intriguing plot but I found the story poorly developed and superficial, the characters shallow and dull. I was never invested in the story or the characters which is a shame because it's a really good sci-fi plot.
Peg Vorac
The abrupt ending was a bit jarring (yes, it's the first in a series, but still). I'm looking forward to the other books. It's an intriguing storyline.
Mary Beth
Wow! That was the first thing that came to mind when i finished this book. Obviously this story is a Sci-fi, with the futuristic setting and the amazing world Earth and Exilon 5 that we are thrown into. But don't let that scare you away, it was so much more than just the futuristic worlds that it is set in. It has mystery, intrigue, heartache, and double crossing and it left me excited about the next one.

The details of this story were amazing, everything that Ms. Green had written became a livin
Demelza
Oh heck, I was waffling between a 3 and 4 rating, and I'm going with a 4. Why? A few reasons, first being that I want to read the second book, which is always a good indication. The second reason is that this is a self-published novel and it's been professionally done - cover is good, it's been through an editor, and there are some encouraging words at the end. I like all of those things.

It took me about 90 pages to really get into the story, as a lot of characters are introduced in a hurry. Onc
Compulsion Reads
By the year 2163 planet earth has become so polluted and overcrowded that humanity’s only hope may lie with Exilon 5, a distant planet that the World Government has been feverishly terraforming and reconstructing. The trickle of earth refugees has just started, but Exilon 5 may not be the oasis that many believe.

The World Government has assigned Bill Taggart to investigate disturbing claims of an alien race, the Indigenes, that may still exist on Exilon 5. The assignment allows Taggart to pursue
  • Escapement (The Neumarian Chronicles, #1)
  • Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj, #1)
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • Girl Under Glass
  • Fallen (After Trilogy, #1)
  • Apocalyptic Moon (After the Bane, #1)
  • The Eden Project: Humanity's Last Chance
  • The Blemished (Blemished, #1)
  • Origins (Origins, #1)
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • Disconnect (Divided Worlds, #1)
  • Broken Things
  • Upload
  • The Emerald Tablet (Legends of Amun Ra, #1)
  • Domino Falls
  • Ocean's Gift (Ocean's Gift, #1)
  • Into the Vast
  • SKY
As a reader, I really enjoy crime, thrillers, and science fiction of course! But I have been trying new genres. I read all the time, but it takes me forever to get through a book. I don't like hopping from story to story when there is so much to be savoured from an author's writing.

I have worked in many industries from fashion, to sport, to finance but when I discovered writing several years ago,
More about Eliza Green...
Altered Reality (Exilon 5 Trilogy, #2) Crimson Dawn (Exilon 5 Trilogy, #3)