Start by marking “De Novo Syndrome (DMB Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
De Novo Syndrome (DMB Files, #1)

De Novo Syndrome (More DMB Files #1)

He'll do anything to get her back, including evolve.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
"The rabid, frothy pacing gripped me like the iron jaws of a junkyard dog and left me crying out for a literary tetanus shot! More please."

When Jim Buckner's daughter is kidnapped, his obsession shifts from discovering the lost genetic sequence for awakening human immortality to discovering who took he
Published December 17th 2012 by StoneGate Ink

To ask other readers questions about De Novo Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Novo Syndrome

The Clearing by Thomas RydderEveryone Burns by John DolanStarshine by G.S. JennsenSend More Idiots by Tony Perez-GieseHeavy Duty People by Iain Parke
Great Indie Novels
484th out of 1,566 books — 1,850 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutSeptember Ends by Hunter S. JonesKings & Queens by Courtney VailBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   Rose
Books You Wish More People Knew About - Part 2
438th out of 754 books — 609 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
Jun 15, 2013 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Dr. Jim Buckner is trying to find a cure for his daughter's 'illness.' What he doesn't realize is his research will result in a war between factions he didn't know existed. He finds himself and his daughter right in the center of this latest fight. "De Novo Syndrome" by Jim Buckner (David Mark Brown) is an amazing new science fiction/thriller. This novel is a wild ride, full of speculation, mystery, and action. You won't be able to put it down.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The reader is thrown
Mathew Carruthers
Sep 23, 2014 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
Very clever storytelling. Very interesting premise for a story - or series of stories, as the case may be. Here we have alternate history and hard science fiction with liberal doses of surreal shifts in subjective reality within the context of the story - a truly heady mix. I am looking forward to reading others in this series.
Mathew Carruthers
Sep 23, 2014 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clever storytelling

Troy
First of all I would like to thank David Mark Brown (pen name Jim Buckner) for making this book available through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I was privileged enough to have won a paperback copy and very glad to have done so.

The protagonist (Jim Buckner) is a paleobotanist with an ardent desire to save his fifteen year old daughter from a retrovirus. The adventure that follows is a fast-paced, whirlwind save-the-world tale that leaves the reader intrigued, but not wholly satisfied.

As for
Cleland Smith
Aug 07, 2013 Cleland Smith rated it liked it
Dr Jim Buckner is on the brink of rediscovering a gene for immortality that could save his daughter's life, but someone is trying to steal his research. When he finds himself in possession of a paperback book he shouldn't have, he is thrown headlong into a maelstrom of action. His lab is attacked and in the chaos that ensues, his daughter is kidnapped. We are propelled with him in his quest to rescue her and discover the identity of his enemies.

De Novo Syndrome's blurb characterises the novel as
Demelza Carlton
Jun 21, 2013 Demelza Carlton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scifi and action fans
Fast-moving action scenes from start to finish.

I think my biggest complaint is also one of the highlights of this book - the fast action. I found sometimes it moved too fast for me, so I had to reread sections to understand what happened. Kind of like watching Clash of the Titans in 3D - battle scenes so realistic, they were too fast for me to think. This is definitely a book that commands your full attention.

I like making comparisons in reviews, but this one's left me stumped. There is nothing
Scott Rhine
Feb 24, 2013 Scott Rhine rated it really liked it
Serious telekinetic action, reminiscent of the Matrix, X-Men, or Star Wars.
In a Quantum Leap style lab, Jim Buckner is a day away from unlocking the secrets of human DNA that will save his daughter and complete his life's work, but the battlefield for the next evolutionary step comes smashing through his door. Can he sort the lies from the truth in a running gun battle that turns his whole life upside down?

The author seemed to be going for the pulp adventure feel. The hero's struggle with new ab
David Brown
Jan 08, 2013 David Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Seeing how the author listed on the cover of this book is the main POV character, and the book is based in the near future, it shouldn't take too long for readers to figure out Jim Buckner is a pen name. As it turns out, my pen name. Having come clean with that...

De Novo Syndrome begins a new series of stories within the same universe as the Lost DMB Files, but taking place 100 years later. A thriller for those who expect the unexpected, De Novo can be read looking forwards, backwards or both. W
Katelyn
I was given this book through GR's first reads giveaway.

I was really excited that I won this book. Its seemed different than what I normally read. I love the idea that it was X-men like in concept. But in the end this book really too fast pace for me. I was thrust into this action packed book and I felt I was lost. The more I read the harder it was to in a sense "catch up". I felt if there was more clarity I could have enjoyed it more. As a result of this never ending feeling that I could never
Isaiah
Jan 27, 2013 Isaiah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Isaiah by: Jim Buckner
I my opinion GREAT STORY. If you want a story that requires you to think and use the information given in the book to answer anything you might not understand then this is the book for you. If you are easily confused then this is not a story you would to read. This story have a GREAT PLOT, GREAT CHARACTERS, AND OVERALL GREAT WRITING SKILLS WERE APPLIED
Bonnie
Apr 09, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't figured it out yet, but I did read the entire book.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Noah Hicks
Noah Hicks marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Justin Gasal
Justin Gasal marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
John Kerley
John Kerley is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2016
Alice
Alice added it
Jan 18, 2016
Renate Spence
Renate Spence marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Mary Kort
Mary Kort marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Rita Novak
Rita Novak rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Eric G. Laughton
Eric G. Laughton rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Jaxom
Jaxom rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Boyd
Boyd rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2015
Modern Good Reads: R4R: De Novo Syndrome (sci-fi thriller) 6 45 Sep 16, 2013 06:55PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 3 23 Jul 07, 2013 06:27AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 10 163 Jul 07, 2013 05:29AM
Making Connections: 892. DE NOVO SYNDROME by Jim Buckner & David Mark Brown 8 38 Mar 20, 2013 07:20PM
Goodreads Librari...: A few things 2 31 Jan 11, 2013 10:51AM
  • Twist
  • The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption
  • Spring-heeled Jack and the President's Ring (The Magnetron Chronicles, #2)
  • The Last Sewer Ball
  • Saving Brooksie
  • Evolution (The Divine, #5)
  • Black And Blue (Blue, #3)
  • Gabe's Plan
  • Red Sister (The Red Sister Trilogy #1)
  • Claimed by Desire (Isle of Feralon, #1)
  • Retrieving Love (Urban Seductions, #1)
  • Wild Within (Bonded Fantasy, #1)
  • How Blended are Dust and Fire (Purgatory, #0)
  • High Seas Deception
  • Rough It Up (Grassroots, #1)
  • OMG (Oh My God) (CUL8R Time Travel Mystery, #1)
  • The Heart Denied
  • Roselli's Gold
Raised in Central Texas, David Mark Brown learned to ride horses at a young age. Then learned to hate them after a disastrous attempt to impress a girlfriend. He was five.

Turning instead to a life of poetry and prose he eventually migrated north to the University of Montana (the Berkeley of the Rockies) and became the Redneck Granola.

Falling in love a chainsaw wielding mountain woman forced him to
More about David Mark Brown...

More DMB Files (2 books)
  • Desert Gods (DMB Files, #2)

“Eleven years ago he retired from life. Death was never really his style.” 1 likes
“I tried to shake off my paranoia. But for weeks I’d been stirring it into my morning coffee.” 0 likes