Start by marking “Defying Mars (Saving Mars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Defying Mars (Saving Mars, #2)

Defying Mars (Saving Mars #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Jessamyn has escaped Earth with food for her starving world, but her troubles are just beginning. She must rebuild her life without Pavel, the Terran boy whose kiss haunts her. Her success is further tainted by the loss of her beloved brother. Ethan disabled the deadly lasers orbiting Mars, but this has created a fervor to re-open trade with Earth which Jess knows would be ...more
Published December 15th 2012 by Williams Press

To ask other readers questions about Defying Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defying Mars

Mysteries of the Red Coyote Inn by Lorraine CareyRaising Sleeping Stones by P.H.T. BennetThe Storm Bottle by Nick   GreenThe Founder's Curse by Danelle O'DonnellSaving Mars by Cidney Swanson
MG/YA Indie Awesomeness
28th out of 54 books — 37 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Meat Market by James ChalkUglies by Scott WesterfeldMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Wow, What a Crappy Future
61st out of 64 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
Mar 31, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this and the first book in the series, Saving Mars, but feel that they may have been better as one volume.

This would definitely be a hit with people who enjoyed The Hunger Games and Uglies. I've already recommended it to my daughter.

For me, I wish there had been a little more meat on the bones of the characters as they were introduced in the first book and would like to have seen that added to during the second. More of Jess and her Brother Ethan's back story would have been most welcom
Steve
Mar 22, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
This second book in the saving mars series was great. Well paced enjoyable fast read. I can't wait for the next book . This series was suggested by Amazon if you like so and so you might like this. I'm really glad I tried this series. Cindy Swanson has written a good enjoyable series. This is a safe YA read that young kids and adults can enjoy.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
The only reason this book took so long to read is that I've been busy; I wolfed the last half of it down in one sitting.

This is a worthy successor to the first volume, carrying on the main plot while developing some other threads. I was impressed at how the titular defiance did not come without consequences, as well as with how the main character dealt with the several technical challenges she faced. I'm not enough of a scientist to grade the book on that level, but it certainly passed the whiff
Darlene
Dec 23, 2013 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
Recommended to Darlene by: Kindle freebie
This series is so much fun, so exciting, that I read book 1 and this book 2 straight through. Then I was stranded without book 3. Yikes! As luck would have it the boxed set came on sale for $.99 so I picked it up and started to read the #3.

The first three are still on sale:

It is often the case that a sequel isn't as good as the first book. In this case I think this one was even more exciting. I read until 4 in the morning just to see what would happen. T
(Source: I was gifted a copy of this book by the author – thanks so so much to Cidney Swanson!)
This is book 2 in the ‘Saving Mars’ series, and picks up where book 1 ‘Saving Mars’ left off. **Warning, some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 (such as where book 1 left off)**
Jessamyn and Crusty are leaving Earth, leaving behind not only Jess’ brother Ethan (who has been rebodied), but also 2 other crew members, and Pavel – the earth boy who Jessamyn can’t stop thinking about.

Jess and Crusty have even
Gabs
Read more of my reviews at My Full Bookshelf Reviews

I HATE when a series has an amazing start, but the rest of this series is terrible. However, in this series, the exact opposite happened; the sequel is even better than the first! If every book were as wonderful as Defying Mars,the world would be a better place and there would be no such thing as a 'reluctant reader'.

I honestly could not put this book down. When I did, it was only because I had to. Otherwise, I would have read this book straigh
Sue Moro
May 13, 2013 Sue Moro rated it it was amazing
Defying Mars

In the second book in the Saving Mars series, Jess returns to Mars to a heroes welcome. She doesn't feel much like a hero though. The mission was only partially successful and too many were left behind.

Weighing heavily on her mind is her brother, Ethan, who was captured by Earth forces and his fate remains uncertain. Jess must somehow convince Mars' government to mount a rescue mission immediately before the planets' rotations carry them too far apart.

This book was just as thrilling
Brian Foster
May 01, 2013 Brian Foster rated it really liked it
In Defying Mars, Cidney Swanson continues the tale of Jess, a Marsian Raider, who must betray the trust of her planet in order to save her brother and reunite with her love interest.

Why to buy this book: The writing is spot on. It draws you in and, for the most part, doesn’t let you go. It’s a quick read that will leave you wanting more.

Why not to buy the book: I enjoyed this book so please don’t take this criticism as something that I felt was a huge issue. The protagonist isn’t quite as strong
Truitti
May 19, 2014 Truitti rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed books 1 through 5 of this series. Book 6, not so much. I loved the idea that humans had a settlement on Mars, and that there developed a "them and us" attitude with both the Marsians and Earthlings. And the whole rebody idea is brilliant. Highly enjoyable. Might have to reread in the near future.
Lisa
This is a transitional book in the series. Not a whole lot happens, and at times the pacing is slow. If I ran the universe, I would tighten up Book 2 and combine it with Book 3. But the good news is, Book 3 is back to action! action! action! Just hang in there.
Rei Wahl
May 19, 2016 Rei Wahl rated it it was amazing
Great series

I read Heinlein's books when I was a teen, from 'Podkayne of Mars' to 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'. This Mars series should appeal to YA and older readers. The characters are likeable and varied, the story is engrossing.
Marlene
Sep 08, 2015 Marlene rated it really liked it
Loving this series. Introduced to it in Future Tense: 12 first in series novels and I have delayed finishing that to follow up on this series. I love Jessamyn and Ethan and Pavel and all the others.
Jen Blackham
Jan 18, 2014 Jen Blackham rated it really liked it
This was a solid follow up to the first book. New and unique approaches to life on earth (rebodying) was an interesting touch. Looks like I'll have to BUY the third book (but it's very inexpensive, in fact I think you can buy the complete set of three books for $1) ... I think there are more after that too! I like this series :)
Hannah Lesniak
May 11, 2014 Hannah Lesniak rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, mars, adventure, romance, sci-fi
Defying Mars continues the Saving Mars series in spectacular fashion. The plot was fast and captivating. Defying Mars was especially enjoyable for me because it has complete grammar and spelling. (Many of the Kindle books that you can get for free are chock full of pathetic grammar and little to no editing. So thank God for Cidney Swanson and her wonderful Kindle editions.) Although it felt like a buildup for the next book (only at the end) it was full of near captures and moral decisions to be ...more
DavidO
Feb 18, 2014 DavidO rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Just lost interest. If you liked how the first one ended, I'm sure you like this one.
Holly Thames
Feb 08, 2015 Holly Thames rated it really liked it
Enjoyable series.
Canoe41
Dec 22, 2012 Canoe41 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Defying Mars continues the story of Martian siblings, Jessamyn & Ethan, and their Terrain friend, Pavel. It was well written and I think that the author did a masterful job of allowing the characters age emotionally & cognitively. I was pleased to see that Ms. Swanson ended the book in such a way that would allow for third book to complete the saga by ending the earth's reign of Pavel's aunt, Lucca, and return of Jessamyn, Ethan and Pavel to Mars.
Sara
Oct 30, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-scifi
So I wasn't too sure about this book while I was reading it and then the ending happened! It was boring, bounced around a lot, and had a lot of story lines that only had one person featured. The last 20 pages, everything came together. You finally saw where the book was going, and it wrapped everything up into a troubling ending. I hate to say it but I actually ended up liking this book in the end and can't wait to read the next book in the series.
BetteRose Ryan
Apr 10, 2013 BetteRose Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved this followup to Saving Mars. It didn't quite reach the same level for me that the first one (5 stars) did but I will still highly recommend it to everyone I know. Also, I am on pins and needles waiting for the next book. plan to do a full review of it on my review site when I get caught up. I will post it here when I get it done. Just know that this is a good teen book that will be enjoyed by everyone who likes science fiction.
May
Jun 13, 2014 May rated it really liked it
Book two is O.M.G., good!!! Jessamyn returns home with her dear friend Crusty, and they instantly become heroes. However, Jessamyn doesn't feel like a hero. She wants to return immediately to Earth and rescue her brother Ethan and the remaining team members. However, what will she have to do, or give up, to accomplish her mission? Defying Mars is full of suspense and action. A great YA SF adventure book! I totally love the series!!!
Angela
This is a very well written book. It continues the story of Jessamyn, Ethan & Pavel. The first book had me hooked early on, and this book is no different. I loved the concept of the Earth body swapping program and the war between Mars and Earth.

I hope the author writes another book. Even though this is classified as Young Adult, this is a book adults will enjoy as well. The characters are well developed.
Chris
Jun 21, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Jessamyn is a great character and I like how the author portrays her. I like that she's not this perfect heroine but a young adult who makes mistakes because of her inexperience but uses her wit to solve the problems.

I thought the twist with the Earth government and the rebodying was cool and hope more of it is explored in later books
Margo
Oct 10, 2013 Margo rated it really liked it
Part 2 of the series, and I'm definitely going to read them all. This one was a bit of a nail-biter in several places as Jess gets back to Mars but steals the Galleon and turns right back around to try to rescue her brother and fellow raiders on Earth.
Sally Hannoush
May 05, 2013 Sally Hannoush rated it liked it
This is the second book in the series. I did not read the first one and in a few areas of this second book, I felt like I was missing information. I suggest reading the first one first. This is a young adult Mars-Earth story.
Tom Park
May 24, 2013 Tom Park rated it liked it
Since this was the second in the series, I knew what to expect without the author telling me. It all fit the expectations with little variation. Actually seemed more like a seque between the first and third books.
Heather
Mar 26, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
I liked this book even better than the first of the trilogy (Saving Mars) and can't wait for the finale. The action is exciting, but not at the expense of character and story development.
C.J. Darlington
Not quite as good as Saving Mars (the action was a tad less), but still a great book. The main character is one you root for and want to follow.
Misty
Jun 08, 2013 Misty rated it really liked it
Great sequel of a great book. Can't wait to read the next one. It seems like this totally wouldn't be my thing, but it totally is. Love this story!
Keith Bell
Aug 09, 2013 Keith Bell rated it liked it
Great follow up to Saving Mars. Not as good but sets up for a sequel that I hope will be at least as good if not better.
Kathleen
Mar 20, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I look forward to the last book. I read this one in less than 5 hours.
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Defying Mars 2 23 Apr 09, 2013 10:44AM
  • Isola Di Squalo (The Delmar Shark Chronicles, #1)
  • Relativity (Proximity, #2)
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • The Storm Bottle
  • Corridor
  • Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #2)
  • Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2)
  • Unhappily Ever After (The Librarian, #2)
  • Box Set: The Arrington Trilogy
  • Like Clockwork (Clockwise, #3)
  • Reconnaissance (Paradise Reclaimed, #2)
  • Winter's Warrior: Mark of the Monarch (Winter's Saga, #4)
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • Doggirl
  • The Savage Principle (#3)
  • Homecoming (Darklands, #2)
  • Cyberdrome
  • Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3)

Saving Mars (6 books)
  • Saving Mars (Saving Mars, #1)
  • Losing Mars (Saving Mars, #3)
  • Mars Burning (Saving Mars, #4)
  • Striking Mars (Saving Mars #5)
  • Mars Rising (Saving Mars #6)