Start by marking “1812: War with America” as Want to Read:
1812: War with America

1812: War with America

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In the first complete history of the War of 1812 written from a British perspective, Jon Latime offers an authoritative and compelling account that places the conflict in its strategic context within the Napoleonic wars. He crafts an intimate narrative that marches the reader into the heat of battle.
Published September 1st 2007 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about 1812, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1812

An excellent, comprehensive history of the War of 1812. Latimer provides in-depth coverage of all the issues involved, such as the New England federalists that traded with the British during the war and considered secession.

Latimer’s book is particularly strong on the Anglo-Canadian perspective and also does a good job setting the war in the context of the Napoleonic Wars. Latimer does a good job covering the American political factions that supported England (who in reality did not actually imp
If what you know about the War of 1812 amounts to a bunch of pretty embarrassing American losses in Canada (and pretty much elsewhere), a few wins at sea, and oh, yes, the burning of Washington, D.C....well, you have it in one.

No, I don't count the "Battle of New Orleans" as a win (the song or the battle).

But there's so much more to the story, so much nuance. 1812: War with America lays it all out. Take the New England Federalists who traded with the British throughout the war (and the wartime
A good history of the War of 1812 seen from the British point of view.
Jonathan Beams
An enjoyable history which sometimes requires close reading to follow the thread of events. Slightly and pleasantly partisan after the manner of acolytes of the Georgian era. Sparkles in moments when the abatis of Latimer's historical detachment succumbs to the temptation of a sharp and undeniably witty remark. Example:

"Madison's self-congratulatory proclamation that the peace treaty was 'highly honorable to the United States, and terminates, with particular felicity, a campaign signalized by th
Matthew Ericson
Very good overview of the conflict
Hayo Bethlehem
Thorough book. A bit easy to get lost with all the names, you're sometimes left wondering if the author is talking about an US commander, or a British one. Nevertheless its nice to read a more balanced account of the war than the usual US revisionist history.
I liked that this book tells the story of the War of 1812 from the British point of view. Aside from that, I found it very hard to read. Difficult to tell which side the military commanders were on - references were made to people we seem expected to recognize. I spent a lot of time flipping back to figure out who someone was.

It... wasn't that interesting, I learned some stuff, but it wasn't exciting stuff. About all I can remember is the first British cammander in Canada was named Brock. I got so tired of it I didn't even make it to the burning of Washington D.C.
Not only did I learn about a war I don't know too much about, it was written by an Englishman, so it came from a point of view that you don't generally get to hear in this country.
Rob Kranski
Lots and lots of battles. Really just a long military narrative. Great if you are into this sort of history.
David Harrison
David Harrison marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Andrew is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Mr C
Mr C marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kadidja marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
James marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Frank marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Nick Kaizer
Nick Kaizer marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Stuart Minor
Stuart Minor marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Darcy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
James marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Victor Bruneski
Victor Bruneski marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Steelwhisper marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deception in War: The Art of the Bluff, the Value of Deceit, and the Most Thrilling Episodes of Cunning in Military History, from the Trojan Horse to the Gulf War Alamein Buccaneers of the Caribbean: How Piracy Forged an Empire Tobruk 1941: Rommel's Opening Move (Campaign) Niagara 1814: The final invasion