Start by marking “1812: War with America” as Want to Read:
1812: War with America

1812: War with America

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the first complete history of the War of 1812 written from a British perspective, Jon Latime offers an authoritative and compelling account that places the conflict in its strategic context within the Napoleonic wars. He crafts an intimate narrative that marches the reader into the heat of battle.
Published September 1st 2007 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about 1812, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1812

Jerome
Apr 13, 2015 Jerome rated it it was amazing
An excellent, comprehensive history of the War of 1812. Latimer provides in-depth coverage of all the issues involved, such as the New England federalists that traded with the British during the war and considered secession.

Latimer’s book is particularly strong on the Anglo-Canadian perspective and also does a good job setting the war in the context of the Napoleonic Wars. Latimer does a good job covering the American political factions that supported England (who in reality did not actually imp
Shelley
If what you know about the War of 1812 amounts to a bunch of pretty embarrassing American losses in Canada (and pretty much elsewhere), a few wins at sea, and oh, yes, the burning of Washington, D.C....well, you have it in one.

No, I don't count the "Battle of New Orleans" as a win (the song or the battle).

But there's so much more to the story, so much nuance. 1812: War with America lays it all out. Take the New England Federalists who traded with the British throughout the war (and the wartime
Tom
Nov 05, 2009 Tom rated it it was amazing
A good history of the War of 1812 seen from the British point of view.
Jonathan Beams
May 30, 2009 Jonathan Beams rated it liked it
An enjoyable history which sometimes requires close reading to follow the thread of events. Slightly and pleasantly partisan after the manner of acolytes of the Georgian era. Sparkles in moments when the abatis of Latimer's historical detachment succumbs to the temptation of a sharp and undeniably witty remark. Example:

"Madison's self-congratulatory proclamation that the peace treaty was 'highly honorable to the United States, and terminates, with particular felicity, a campaign signalized by th
Matthew Ericson
Nov 03, 2014 Matthew Ericson rated it really liked it
Very good overview of the conflict
Hayo Bethlehem
Thorough book. A bit easy to get lost with all the names, you're sometimes left wondering if the author is talking about an US commander, or a British one. Nevertheless its nice to read a more balanced account of the war than the usual US revisionist history.
Tony
Apr 06, 2008 Tony rated it did not like it
I liked that this book tells the story of the War of 1812 from the British point of view. Aside from that, I found it very hard to read. Difficult to tell which side the military commanders were on - references were made to people we seem expected to recognize. I spent a lot of time flipping back to figure out who someone was.

Dreyton
Jul 11, 2009 Dreyton rated it it was ok
It... wasn't that interesting, I learned some stuff, but it wasn't exciting stuff. About all I can remember is the first British cammander in Canada was named Brock. I got so tired of it I didn't even make it to the burning of Washington D.C.
Richard
May 04, 2010 Richard rated it really liked it
Not only did I learn about a war I don't know too much about, it was written by an Englishman, so it came from a point of view that you don't generally get to hear in this country.
Rob Kranski
Aug 21, 2013 Rob Kranski rated it really liked it
Lots and lots of battles. Really just a long military narrative. Great if you are into this sort of history.
Becky Snow maybe teves
Becky Snow maybe teves marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Paul Matsi
Paul Matsi rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Travis Chatmon
Travis Chatmon rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Chad Harrison
Chad Harrison marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Aviv
Aviv marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Dwight Walker
Dwight Walker is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Erick
Erick marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Robert Johnson
Robert Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Mike Ramirez
Mike Ramirez marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Mike Klaassen
Mike Klaassen rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
David Harrison
David Harrison marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Andrew
Andrew is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015