Start by marking “Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator” as Want to Read:
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket #2)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  62,455 Ratings  ·  1,648 Reviews
Mr. Willy Wonka might be a genius with chocolate, but Charlie and his family don’t trust his flying skills one bit. And right now, he’s at the helm of a giant glass elevator that’s picking up speed and hurtling through space — with Charlie and the entire Bucket family stuck inside! Roald Dahl’s uproarious sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is certain to delight an ...more
Published September 11th 2001 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

Jason Koivu
Mar 23, 2015 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I just discovered Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator was written the year I was born. Apparently a lot of my favorite childhood kids' books were written that year. 1972 seemed to be the year of the fanciful, magical and/or pastoral, nature-oriented kids' book: Watership Down, All Creatures Great and Small, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Frog and Toad #2, Earthsea Cycle #3.

This might explain a few things about me...but then again it more likely has a whole lot more to say about where the Amer
Anthony
Mar 29, 2012 Anthony rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
“Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator” picks up where “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” left of, but if “’Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ is Dahl at his best…” then “Charlie and the great Glass Elevator is Dahl at his worst. However, children will still love the silliness of it all.

The best way to describe “…the Great Glass Elevator” is clumsy and inane. The Big differences between “Chocolate Factory” and “…Glass Elevator” is that former is silly with a point and congruent within itself, an
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I remember as a kid being quite disappointed by this book, having so thoroughly loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now I can see why I wasn't that thrilled with this second one. I wasn't into anything smacking of sci-fi or space travel as a kid. There were probably a few exceptions, but I mostly steered clear of those books.

This book is weird. It's almost two books merged into one. The first 92 pages or so is somewhat of a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for kids. It's that weird and off
Robert
This is the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. My heavens, this was not good. This is the only Dahl book I have read to date that did not interest me in the least. It was contrived . . . and contrived badly.

The first half of the book placed our hero and Mr. Wonka in space. Yes, it was a bad Miss Frizzle episode. Horrid, I say. The premise of that part was that the elevator had gone into orbit accidentally and they had no control over returning. After bouncing around with knids and othe
Saoirse Sterling
Unlike it's predecessor, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, this book is probably a bit too far-fetched for it to grab the same amount of attention. It's an odd little book-it has some good moments and is written much in the same way as the first book-and his many others-but it definitely has it's faults.

Of-the-time-racism was probably the biggest one. It's difficult to critique something that was "okay" at the time of the book being published, but I can't help but think that perhaps that, along
Kevin Xu
Dec 22, 2011 Kevin Xu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book should not have been written. I thought it was a pointless book, where it could be an add on to the end of the first book.
Niina
Sep 09, 2016 Niina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Tavatessamme Jalin viimeksi hän leijui korkealla kotikaupunkinsa yllä suuressa lasihississä. Ihan vähää aikaa aiemmin herra Vonkka oli kertonut pojalle, että hän lahjoittaa tälle koko jättimäisen satumaisen suklaatehtaansa. Nyt pieni ystävämme oli palaamassa voitokkaana koko perheensä kanssa tehtaaseen ottaakseen sen omakseen. (s. 9)

Jali ja lasihissi on käsittääkseni ainoa Roald Dahlin kirjoittama jatko-osa ja se jatkuu suoraan Jali ja suklaatehdas-kirjan jälkeen.

Vonkan keksinnöillä on aina lop
Sandra Bašić
May 02, 2016 Sandra Bašić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice sequel of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Mr Dahl is the author with a very rich vocabulary and I really enjoyed it. Smile on my face all the time, what do we need more?!
Sara Kamjou
Feb 22, 2016 Sara Kamjou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فانتزی
آدم اگر کاسهی اگر و چی دستش بگیرد به هیچ جا نمیرسد.
...
به نظرم خیلی خیلی ضعیفتر از کتاب اولش یعنی چارلی و کارخانه شکلات سازی بود.
Marine's Books
I am very sad to write this review. I had loved the first book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but this one is a big disappointment. Honestly, I was really bored during most of the book and it was hard to keep reading. This book has lost all the humor that was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the jokes are absurd and impossible to understand. Also, I don’t understand what went through the author’s mind when he wrote such stupid things. I can’t believe it is the same person who wrote Mat ...more
~Austen Nerd~
I would like to write that this is a re-read for myself but it is not. I never read this book as a little kid. I did read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl as did half the world or saw the movie. Young and old ,Charlie touched the hearts of so many. A little boy who was poor with a dream to make enough for his family to eat, to live in a warm home. A humble little boy who was so lucky to have scored a golden ticket!!!!! So I could not wait to read this book the sequel to Charlie an ...more
Ordinary Dahlia
Feb 11, 2010 Ordinary Dahlia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haiyah...tidak ada yang biasa kalau sudah bersinggungan dengan Mr.Willy Wonka. Itu yang terjadi dengan charlie setelah dia mengunjungi Chocolate factory-nya.

Elevator yang seharusnya membawa Mr. Wonka dan keluarga charlie malah semakin naik naik naik dan naik terus sampai ke ruang angkasa hanya gara2 Mr. Wonka telat nekan tombol elevator ! *woalaaaaaaah* huahahahahaha...

Di angkasa pun tidak luput dari kejadian luar biasa. Mereka coba jadi orang pertama yang menginjak Space Hotel USA (pengarang ng
Debbie
A childhood favorite which was even wackier than I remember it being. The plot is all over the place and takes the characters into outer space to fight an alien race intent on eating humans, back to the chocolate factory, and into Minusland. A fun romp, though not as good as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because of the randomness of the plot. The humor was also much punnier, which is not something I enjoy, and it outdated itself with some racial slurs in the beginning that would have been fi ...more
Rubi
Mar 23, 2016 Rubi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant as always, Mr Dahl. It is a pleasure to read your stories.
I have loved every word of this book. What more can I say?: READ IT!
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 05/05/2005
Author: Roald Dahl
Recommended for: Children

In this story we see what happens to the life of Charlie Bucket and his family after he has won the chocolate factory. We follow Charlie, Grampa and Willy Wonka on the adventures and journeys in the amazing sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It is a truly great childrens book as it helps to expend their imagination and engage in the book. It is a silly, fun, and funny book for children to enjoy and love. In my opinion it i
Dru
Jul 25, 2016 Dru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La primera mitad, con todo el tema del espacio, no me ha gustado, pero la segunda mitad ha conseguido remontar un poco y mantener más la esencia del primer libro.
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say, although it almost pains me, that although this is still a good book, I didn't like it nearly as well as the others I've read before. Maybe that's the trouble with me and most sequels?

In this book, we return to Charlie Bucket and his family.

The book begins where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ended - in Charlie's house. The entire family (including the bed) is scooped up and put into the Great Glass Elevator. The plan is to get them all into the factory but, naturally, things don'
Filipa
Oct 25, 2014 Filipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only wish Charlie had more adventures with Mr. Wonka. lovely book.
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖shut me up already✖
DNF

Chau Charlie, me aburrís.
Alvina
Mar 25, 2012 Alvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setelah mendapat kejutan-kejutan di pabrik Cokelat milik Mr. Wonka, kali ini Charlie dan keluarganya mendapat perjalanan ruaarr biasa bersama Mr. Wonka. Ke mana? Yak, ke luar angkasa. Tapi bukan Dahl kalau imajinasinya tidak luar biasa, kali ini ia menghadirkan perjalanan Mr. Wonka, Charlie dan keluarganya dalam sebuah elevator kaca tembus pandang alih-alih menggunakan roket di luar angkasa.

Pada awalnya Mr. Wonka hanya ingin mengajak mereka ke langit sampai ketinggian yang dirasa cukup untuk kem
Abduraafi Andrian
Aku berharap banyak anak-anak membaca karya Roald Dahl.

"Aku bisa melihat pabrik ini akan berada di tangan yang baik ketika aku mengundurkan diri. Kau belajar dengan sangat cepat. Aku senang sekali telah memilihmu, anakku sayang, senang sekali. Nah sekarang, apa keputusannya?" (hal. 185)

Selengkapnya: http://bibliough.blogspot.com/2015/07...
Lisa
Aug 25, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie and the Great Glass ElevatorRoald Dahl

This book sets off an adventure that's both encaptivating and bonkers!

Charlie and his entire family are whisked off on a life changing adventure without any choice of their own. Willy Wonka does what he does best, and entices Charlie and his family onto this 'Great Glass Elevator', that quiet literally takes them to the 'moon and back'. On this exhilarating and exhausting journey that is thousands and thousands of miles away from planet Earth, Willy,
Tess Roman
Apr 05, 2016 Tess Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ana Maria Rînceanu
The writing was good, but plot is a little forgettable. There is also something unsettling about finding a British author writing a racially charged conversation between President of the USA and the Prime Minister of China in a children's book.
Noella
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator was a space adventure in the first half and an exploration into Wonka's pill factory in the second half. I found the whole thing totally bonkers but very imaginative. I loved the jokes at the start and the ingenious play on words and rhymes. Roald Dahl was not scared to poke fun at anything. In the second half's story I felt a bit unsettled and ended up disliking Willy Wonka. He came off as certified madman with pure disregard for the consequences of his acti ...more
Mary Rose
Aug 14, 2015 Mary Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nunca pensé que este libro fuera más sorprendente que el anterior. Si en Charlie and the Chocolate Factory nos encontramos ante las maravillas de una magnifica fábrica de chocolate, pues en este libro Dahl va más allá de lo imaginable.
¿Quien pensaría que en la primera mitad del libro Charlie estaría en el espacio exterior con Willy Wonka y toda su familia? Y todo por el Gran Ascensor de Cristal. Si eso sería sorprendente, encontrarse con unos marcianos, de los cuales tienen pinta de ser papa m
Emily
May 23, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall Review: “Great whistling whangdoodles!” What do you do when you find yourself staring down a Vermicious Knid? Or you’ve taken too much Wonka-Vite and ended up in Minusland? Or perhaps you just want to have a little chat in Martian with the President of the United States while standing in a giant Space Hotel? You call up Willy Wonka, of course! Who else can think of these things but Roald Dahl? In this second installment of his famous Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, we get to ride alon ...more
Kynan
Dec 29, 2012 Kynan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I came across a copy of this at a local cafe this morning and read the first couple of pages without any memories being stirred, which I found rather odd as I thought I'd read (and re-read) all of Mr Dahl's books when I was much younger. I grabbed our copy out of the box set when I got home and went through it. As I read about the Vermicious Knids it stated coming back to me.

I think the reason I didn't remember it is because I didn't really like it anywhere near as much as Charlie and the Chocol
Al
Apr 24, 2010 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids are really getting into reading "chapter books" at bedtime now instead of 2-3 Cat in the Hat-type books. So I sit in the big rocking chair in Jack's room, they cuddle up on Jack's bed in their pajamas and we read a chapter or two every night.

It wasn't until we finished this book and started Stuart Little that I began to appreciate Roald Dahl fully. After a long day, this book can be a bit challenging to read aloud. But once you get Dahl's cadences and style, it's quite fun.

But most stri
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jun 05, 2016 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Willie Wonka
Willie Wonka's Great Glass Elevator was so utterly fantastic and an immense child favorite that of course it had to have its very own book, its epicness being too big to contain in just one mere book. I know the concept of an elevator that could go up, down, sideways, slantways, anyways was my most favorite thing to hear about. I joined Grampa and Charlie on this amazing adventure; it sure felt like it as a kid. That has always been the magic of books for me. Pure epic fantasy.
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Hasse Simonsdochter
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • The Search for Delicious
  • Third Year at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #3)
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • Martin's Mice

More about Roald Dahl...

Charlie Bucket (2 books)
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)

“Hooray!" said the Chief of the Army. "Let's blow everyone up! Bang-bang! Bang-bang!” 28 likes
“We must hurry!’ said Mr. Wonka. ‘We have so much time and so little to do! No! Wait! Strike that! Reverse it!” 20 likes