Textual Encounters: The Christine + Jake Affair (Textual Encounters, #1)

Textual Encounters: The Christine + Jake Affair (Textual Encounters #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Katie discovers an unlocked iPhone in the back seat of a taxi. But instead of turning it in to the driver as lost, she decides to keep it for herself.

Outside of the usual clutter you would expect to find on a smartphone, what captures Katie's interest is the single conversation she finds on the phone's secure text messaging service, a three-month dialogue between a woman w...more
Published December 10th 2012 by QuoteStork Media Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Textual Encounters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Textual Encounters

Sex in the Title by Zack LoveCity Solipsism by Zack LoveThe Doorman by Zack LoveStories and Scripts by Zack LoveCentral Park Song by Zack Love
NYC Reads
6th out of 17 books — 14 voters
Lori's Song by Lori ForoozandehReflections of Mamie - A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" AdkinsDeadly Pleasures by Mary FirminThe Speed of Dark by Clayton Clifford ByeChristmas Cracker by R.L.  Cherry
Best book to read in 2014
143rd out of 178 books — 152 voters

More lists with this book...

Splage
Review posted to: Swept Away By Romance

3 Stars
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Heat Barometer: 2 out of 5 flames

If you are looking to try something “out of the box”, this could be it. It is a whole different twist to a traditional romance book between a hero and heroine. It comes alive through Katie, a person on the outside looking in as she reads the text of intimate conversations that take place over three months through a phone she finds in a taxi. It was very exciting to hear the initial meetings...more
Heidi
I liked the premise of this book and it sounded interesting when I came across it. Not my usual full-on steam/romance but still a different read.

Katie finds an unlocked iPhone on the back seat of a cab and proceeds to read a conversation that goes on between two people(Christine & Jake). From their initial accidental first text, a relationship blossoms. It is written in text form over a series of days and months.

I enjoyed the read and it had a few twists along the way. There is a cliff hang...more
Beth
4 What Just Happened Here? Stars

This book came highly recommended by my friends at www.theindiebookshelf.com. After reading it I wonder if they like me or just like to torture me.

Katie finds a cell phone in the back of a cab. She thinks about turning it over to the driver, but then decides that she deserves it more than the orginal owner. As she is scrolling through the apps, she finds a text conversation that has been going on for months. So naturally she reads it. Yeah I would read it too. No...more
Christina
Katie catches a taxi and quickly finds an iPhone left in the back seat by the previous occupant. At first thought, she wants to hand it to the driver to put in the lost and found, but her curiosity gets the best of her and she quickly decides to see what secrets the phone holds. Besides, she has wanted an iPhone for a while…if the previous owner didn’t care enough to watch after the phone, Katie would be more than happy to.

Textual Encounters is an incredibly fast, easy read. It is told mainly in...more
Leslie
Wow, this is one of those books that sucks you in; and immediately!! The storyline is refreshingly unique, which is a huge plus for me personally, and the writing flowed with believable ease. This new author is one to watch as he tells his story mostly through witty text messages between Christine and Jake, but their relationship becomes much more than just texting. The connection between these two is an emotional and sexy ride for the reader, and yet another reason I hated to even temporarily p...more
Aussie Jo
I am on the fence with this.

I have read sample after sample of rubbish for the last week then stumbled upon this. It kept me interested and it was quite good but I don't have the urge to buy the second one. It was well written and I always love text messages in books as they have the potential to say so much in a compact way and be quite witty.
Spoiler alert!
I think whilst the format was good the actual meetings and conversations they had and moments shared when they met in Canada or NYC could ha...more
Lisa
I need to admit that I've had this on my Kindle for months and finally got around to reading it. Are you looking for something different to read? This may very well be that book. Talk about 'coloring outside the lines', this book is all about not being the norm.

You start with Katie finding an unlocked iPhone in a cab one day. She starts snooping and finds a 3 month dialogue between what started out as strangers. Christine and Jake start their relationship with a text to a wrong number, but in 90...more
Liz
Ever want to read the texts between two lovers? This is a voyeuristic novella with a cliffhanger.

Katie finds an iPhone in the back of the cab and wants to keep it, but then decides after seeing a couple of texts come through that she wants to read the texts between "Jake" and "Christine".

This relationship is interesting to watch "progress" but these two hardly know each other and as the texting continues, it's clear that there's more than meets the text between these two lovers.

I liked this bec...more
Ellen Faith
I'd been in a bit of a book slump, not being able to really get into a book properly, reading bits at a time here and there. And then I decided to read Textual Encounters.....

From the second the text messages started, I was hooked. It was like something clicked inside my brain, I just wanted to know more of the story of these two people and whether they would get the happy ever after they deserved.

Jake was a loveable guy, if not a bit of an intense control freak at times, but his heart was in th...more
Heather
I loved this book and am going to try to keep 1 and 2 straight in my head as I write up my review because there is a huge difference in how I feel about the characters in each book.

In Textual Encounters we have Katie – who to me seems a tad self-entitled – finds a iPhone in the back of a cab. Instead of doing the right thing, trying to find the owner, she takes it as a sign from the universe that she is supposed to have an iPhone instead of her old phone. At her age and in med school she should...more
Nat's Book Nook
I tell you the more books I read by Author Morgan Parker, the more of a fan I become! In my opinion this man is nothing short of a genius and his books are so different, captivating and unique that authors must NOT read them!!! Any author will immediately feel like they are wasting their time and could never compete with this neuveau, contemporary author! He puts the best to shame with his simple formats, hilarious writing style yet in such an absolutely unique way, that is mesmerising.
Textual E...more
Jessica Leonard
What a FREAKING brilliant way to write a book! Morgan is a genius...he will deny it, but don't listen to him!

What would you do if you found a phone abandon in the back or cab. And not some junky flip phone an iPhone, the one you have been wanting for months. You contemplate with your morals and then it beeps with an incoming message. Would you read it?

Katie was faced with these same decisions. Feeling that no one would have "misplaced" an iPhone if they truly treasured it they would have checke...more
D
I have not come across such a 'smart' book since Tarryn Fisher's The Opportunist.
Based entirely on the texting conversations between the two primary characters, Textual Encounters is brilliant. There are not many books that base their entire story without any inner monologue. Therefore, you are left with the dialogue alone to convey meaning, feelings and tone. Throughout the conversations, which occur over a three-month span, you find yourself adding to your list of questions and not being able...more
Isabel
This was a nice surprise :)

Someone finds a smartphone left in a taxi, and (lucky!) is unblocked, and what it is any reader's dream: there is inside a real story between two people (I guess is like finding an original painting in an antique shop). This would be the 21st Century version of an epistolary novel, and even better because it's fast paced and straightforward, without the long divagations and ramblings that actual letters would have.

The fact of being written as text messages got me hook...more
Kate Givans
If I’d been shopping for a new book, I probably would have passed this one up. Generally, I stay away from novellas because I prefer longer stories. And if it were left up to me to classify Textual Encounters, I’d place it in the chick lit romance genre – definitely not my genre of choice. But I am so honored to have been one of the first people to ever read it.

Textual Encounters definitely has a lot of things going for it: it’s original, the characters are very likable and the writing style of...more
Tiana Dalichov
4.5 Stars!

Morgan was kind enough to provide me with an ARC copy to read and honestly review, and I must say...I was pleasantly surprised by this. I've never read a book like this!

Textual Encounters was a novella that focuses on a young woman named Katie who finds an iPhone in a taxi cab and then proceeds to read the messages between the phone's owner (Christine) and a man named Jake. As readers, we're in the same boat as Katie trying to figure out the relationship between Christine and her Mr....more
Martin Skate
Such a great book. Textual Encounters reels you in from the very start, it awakens the voyeur in all of us, who wouldn't want to read these texts! Parker has taken such a cool take on the romance tale and injected it with a fresh perspective on the boy meets girl story. This book is surely very popular with the texting & internet generation, and reminded me of the first few times that I was introduced to texts, chat rooms, and the messenger tools that are now so common. The pace of the story...more
Rhonda
I would never have thought that reading a book made up of text messages would pull me in like this one did, but it did. In fact, I had trouble putting it down so that I could live my life as I wanted to just sit in my chair & vegetate reading it until the conclusion.

The text messages between Jake & Christine are priceless. Each day (chapter) I wanted more from both of the characters. Would they commit to each other or just keep up the text messaging & hookups?

The ending kicked me in...more
CrazyDaisy
Ok, I know, it's about time I've gotten around to finally reading Morgan Parker's books. I'm SMH wondering what took me so long and why didn't I make more of an effort? I can now say that I'm OFFICIALLY a fan of MP!

I was a little hesitant when I saw the format of the book but I quickly forgot about my hangup because I was sucked in right away. I read it in one day while hanging out by the pool. Yup, it makes a great pool/beach/wherever read.

I really loved how I was able to connect with the cha...more
Lisa Olsen
When I first came across this book, I thought it was a cute gimmick, but how interesting could it be when told almost exclusively through text messages? Cut to a couple of hours later when I'm still paging through this sucker, trying to figure out the twists and turns Morgan Parker takes us through. Not only did he capture my interest, he had me instantly ponying up to buy the next one. If you're looking for a quick, fun read and an interesting peek into a modern day romance with enough surprise...more
Celia
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the style of writing and the text message format. It gripped me from the beginning.
Unfortunately it ended on a cliff hanger...my pet hate.
Anyways on to book two...
Michelle
Loved this. This is such an original, interesting idea for a story line. Not only is the whole thing basically written with no internal dialogue -- just simple text messages, but it's also told from an outsider's perspective. So she's trying to figure out the story right along with the reader.

It's a quick read that sucks you right in. I couldn't put it down, and toward the end - Bam - everything seems to turn on its ear! Thank goodness that the second book is out already because there is no way...more
Shanyn
Communication. It’s often the factor that makes or breaks a relationship. And it’s probably the hardest thing for people to learn. Luckily in this day and age there are not only a plethora of modes of communication, but there are also many different levels of acceptable communication. There’s electronic communication, face-to-face, nonverbal, gifts, writing – there are tons of ways to convey your thoughts to those important to you, no matter the message. But regardless of the myriad of ways we a...more
Sherry Alladin
It was cute!
Lariza
Good premise though the story got somewhat confusing for me with all the texts! Jake and Christine's relationship began in an unconventional manner and progressed very quickly over the course of texting. It was apparent from the beginning both were hiding things and I wanted to find out more!! Katie was engrossed in their relationship and was falling for Jake-- that is sure to make the next book quite interesting. Overall I did enjoy the story I just want all the questions answered!
Carissa
Interesting concept, but I feel the emotions of the book were lost because the reader never witnesses any physical interaction between Jake and Christine. I also had a hard time determining who was sending each text. If you're looking for something different and a fast read, this book may be for you. I read it in one sitting in about an hour. I may read the second book just to see what happens, but I am not in any rush to do so.
Lesley
Jake loves Christine(well that is her name now) - I love how they meet by a mixed up text message. Katie finds Christine's phone in a cab and reads the developing love story between Jake and Christine - however things happen that keep pulling them apart - what is Christine's story??? Katie wants to find out and truthfully so do I - can't wait for the next book!!
Marsha
Nov 11, 2013 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Textual Encounters by Morgan Parker is a unique look at the wonderful world of texting. I really enjoyed this book and cannot even imagine how difficult it was to write. No background, descriptions, nothing. Just a story line that unfolded through anonymous texts. Loved it. Did not put it down...and rolled right in to book 2.
Maria
Feb 06, 2014 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tbr
How refreshing. A love story told through text messages. It sucked me in from the beginning. I felt like I found the damn phone. I went right into the second book.
  • Fair Play (Diamond, #1)
  • Trust Me
  • Let It Go
  • Be All (All, #1)
  • Bad Apple
  • Coming Home
  • Omission
  • Doubles
  • Holding On (Holding On, #1)
  • Billionaire's Apprentice (Billionaire Romantic Thriller, #1)
  • Fool for Love (High Rise, #1)
  • It's In His Kiss
  • Cause
  • Sex in the Title: A Comedy about Dating, Sex, and Romance in NYC (Back When Phones Weren't So Smart)
  • Rise (Roam, #3)
  • When I Look to the Sky (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #2)
  • His to Taste
  • Obsession (Endurance, #1)
Morgan Parker is the pen name for a shy and introverted former banker. Because he could never balance his cash at the end of the banking day, he made up stories in order to keep his job. None of those stories was Textual Encounters, which is great because readers will discover a truly unique and original romance that has never been told before.
More about Morgan Parker...
Non Friction Textual Encounters 2 (Textual Encounters, #2) Sick Day Hope Surviving Goodbye