Start by marking “Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)

Sacrifice (Elemental #5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,984 ratings  ·  386 reviews
Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

One misstep and they lose it all. For the last time.

Michael Merrick understands pressure. He's the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it in for his family, and he's all that stands in the way.

His girlfriend, Hannah, understands pressure too.
Published September 30th 2014 by Kensington Teen

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice, please sign up.

joe Poor series has gone down hill from the start with this last installment being silly.I finished the book but could not bear to read the shorts at the…morePoor series has gone down hill from the start with this last installment being silly.I finished the book but could not bear to read the shorts at the end.....Ho Hum and on to other things in life.(less)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
164th out of 2,641 books — 15,827 voters
YA Novels of 2014
143rd out of 1,499 books — 8,177 voters

More lists with this book...

Brigid
Aug 13, 2014 Brigid added it  ·  (Review from the author)
IT'S UP ON NETGALLEY, REVIEWER FRIENDS!!
Kath S
Feb 09, 2014 Kath S marked it as wishlist
Reading about Michael in Elemental:

Reading in Storm what happened after Elemental:

Reading about Michael in Spark:

description

Update

Michael in Spirit:

Michael in Secret:

Here he's so mature AND perfect!! I really love him. *fangirl moment*

Now...

Michael Merrick's story

description

...expected July 2014 September (Why??? Why?!!!)

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Not Quite There Stars

Arc provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If I rated this book right now I would reduce 1 star for Hannah and 2 stars for the ending but that wouldn't do the book justice, so I'll try rating it as a whole.

Michael

Brigid Kemmerer did wonders with Michael's character. As a 23-year-old who had to step up and raise his 3 brothers at 17 when their parents died, Michael is no stranger to caring the weight of the world on his shoulders. What happens though
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm a huge fan of the Elemental series, so much so that I beg everyone I know to read it. This series has not one but TWO books that made it onto my exclusive favorites list (the amazing Spark and Secret). But this book? Gah! So much wasted potential.

Michael Merrick has been a favorite of mine for ages. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Between caring for his brothers financially and emotionally, and watching out for threats, this poor man can barely sit down, much less catch a b
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I've always had a soft spot for Michael, but it's so cool to see his powers at work, too. I wish we'd seen something more interesting happen with his love interest as well as with the Merrick boys in general to give this series a proper sendoff, but still--these are such fun books and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Full review: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...

Real, no kidding spoiler: (view spoiler)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo bk_zpsae967ddb.jpg

Sacrifice is book five in the Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer. I am still reeling from this book. It is non-stop from start to finish. So buckle your seat belts boys and girls, you’re in for a wild ride.

photo tumblr_mvv44saQLz1sjoq1co1_500_zps3656da6e.jpg

Michael has always been my favorite Merrick brother. Right from the first novella, Elemental, when he was introduced. He is rock solid. His sense of responsibility to be there for his brothers, to take care of them, at the ripe old age of 23 is astounding. But Michael has so much more to de
Elaine
Jul 27, 2013 Elaine marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
Aaand, we have a title.
It's a winner, and it's SO Michael. God. Why can't this be out sooner?

Michael's story!!!!
I NEED THIS.

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I've been thinking about Sacrifice for a while now, and I honestly don't know how to write down in words how disappointed I am with the finale for Kemmerer's Elementals series. This was also the most anticipated addition to the series for me, because I've always wanted to read Michael's POV. I really only have one question to ask: what happened here?

Sacrifice is Michael's story, and like all its predecessors, it was told in dual POV. As expected, the other pe
Ash Wednesday
3.5 STARS

I really should learn to flip ahead to the end of the galley so I wouldn't feel the ending's abrupt when bonus novellas turn up at the 65% mark. That being said...

I liked the tension in Michael's character: the sense of a young man made old too soon, pushed to breaking point. But then that's what those who stuck around this series to the end (to clarify, this is the last book in the series to be published under K-Teen) appreciated most about Michael Merrick to begin with. I've been re
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It’s a sad, sad day when I have to even consider the possibility that I care about the characters more than the author does. I could be wrong, of course, but I found Sacrifice to be far below the standard of this series, almost as if Brigid Kemmerer lost interest and gave up. It pains me to say this about a series (and author) I love dearly, but Sacrifice was simply not what it should have been.

Michael has always been my favorite Merrick, perhaps because he’s a bit older, perhaps because of his
Mahina

Micheal's story? MICHEAL'S STORY?? FINALLY
 photo tumblr_m5xzn5HIY11qdjh89_zpsfd0c843c.gif

Eternally fangirling over this!!
 photo tumblr_m89p3n9OXu1rbzgsro2_500_zpsbe89d0f0.gif
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
They always thought he had the answers. He almost never did, but he was pretty good at faking it.

Sacrifice is the very last Elemental book and it finally features Michael otherwise known as my favorite Merrick boy. I'm so glad that I was right to have high expectations for this book (and Michael) because this book rocked. It's my favorite out of all five.

So Michael is amazing, okay? He really is. I love his brothers but I've always had a thing for Michael from the start. He's a fantastic chara
Annaiss
Jul 23, 2013 Annaiss marked it as to-read
My reaction after reading the title for Michael's story:

Now this is me:
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
3 stars…Hopefully, this isn’t the end.

Michael Merrick has to grow up too fast . The loss of his parents, the financial responsibility, the danger – all elements placing his brothers on shaky ground compounded by the need to hide from the organization threatening to exterminate the Merrick brothers.

Pure Elementals are not allowed to live past their teens, when their powers manifest. Each Merrick brother possesses power over earth, air, fire, and water, making them even more of a threat to the El
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Nov 03, 2014 Stacia (the 2010 club) marked it as return-to-later
This new version of Michael - verrah nice. This might be the first cover from the series that I love with no complaints. I'm happy that Michael is getting his day. So, so happy. :)

Amber (Books of Amber)
This review was originally posted on Books of Amber

Michael is my favourite of the Merrick brothers, so you can probably imagine my intense excitement when I discovered that he was getting his own book. I was flailing about all over the place, especially since his book was to be the last in the series and that is usually a bad sign because everyone dies in series finales. Unfortunately – can you see where this is going? – all of my waiting and fangirling didn’t pay off, because Sacrifice is not t
Ariana
[My] "heart tripped and stumbled and raced to catch up."
That's exactly how I felt about this story. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Though my favourite books in the series remain "Spark" and "Spirit", this one is pretty close, after all it shares the same rating. And the truth is that I loved it.

It felt like a roller coaster with Michael's struggle, the perfected guide attacks, the beautifully created turnarounds, the horror his family has been true (I could barely see the end of their torment, really),
Carolina Carriço
Feb 10, 2014 Carolina Carriço marked it as next-in-series

description

OH SWEET MOTHER OF GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!! SO SEXYYYY!!!

Don't you dare kill Michael, Brigid!!! Don't even think about it!
Lia Park
Also reviewed in Bookland@wordpress.

What a book! Sacrifice is not just a title for the book but the whole point of the book. All people make sacrifices but some are big and some small. Michael and his brother made sacrifices. Hunter, Hannah, Tyler, they all made their own sacrifices in this book and that's what humanity is.

"Adam told me that it was ok to let other people take care of me. The problem is that I've forgotten how"

When Michael's parents died, left him in charge of his three young
Fani

Sacrifice was my most anticipated book for the second half of 2014 and it was a huge relief to find that I was not let down in the end.

Sacrifice is Michael's story, the eldest of the Merrick brothers though he's only 23. Having had to raise his brothers for the past 5 years, Michael is steady, logical, dependable, the rock where eventually all the other Merricks lean on. But with the pressure of the Guides' looming over him, even Michael starts to crack.

What follows is a story full of
Aiman
Feb 12, 2014 Aiman marked it as to-read
OHMYGOD. Look at that cover. Wait. Why am I saying that?! Of course you've looked at it. IT'S SO GORGEOUS. Who knew that Michael was so incredibly beautiful.

This is literally me right now.

Gisbelle
My thanks to Kensington Teen and NetGalley

Actual Rating: 3.5

Point of View: Dual (Michael & Hannah)
Writing: Third Person | Past Tense
Setting: Maryland
Genre: Young Adult | Urban Fantasy

A heart-pounding and emotional conclusion to a great series. However, I was hoping for a more conclusive ending. I was a little surprised when it just ended right there a little unexpectedly. It turned out the last 100 pages plus were the previous three novellas that I had already read.

Among all the boys in th
Alyssa

Publication Date: September 30, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Michael Merrick is used to pressure.

He’s the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it out for his family, and he’s all that stands in the way.

His girlfriend, Hannah
A Book Vacation
To see my full review:

Kemmerer’s Elemental series has been my guilty pleasure for a few years now. And with this novel, Kemmerer has technically closed the story with this final chapter of the Merrick brothers, giving readers Michael’s story as it all comes to a head. And yet… I’m not certain it’s really over.

Let me explain. Kemmerer has always woven a tale that pulls readers in from the get go. Sacrifice is no different. By this point in the series, the M
Tellulah Darling
A brilliant end to a brilliant series! It's only fitting that the story starts and ends with Michael. And Kemmerer doesn't pull any punches. By a third of the way through I figured this book might kill me - but in the best way. I loved it. The tension, the action, the danger, and ultimately the way that the brothers come together to face their future. Is it perfectly HEA? Nope. It's better. The tone of this story was exactly what I wanted. My only complaint? Too short. I wasn't ready to say good ...more
Natalie Howarth
Jun 10, 2013 Natalie Howarth marked it as to-read
I don't know all the fuss about Michael I'm more interested in Nick ...more
Jenna
Four "Love the Merrick brothers" Stars

Love the elemental series!

First just let me say if you enjoy paranormal books, then you have to try this YA series!

Just stop, drop, and roll on over to book 1 in the series, Strom (my review here). You will not be disappointed.

Michael has always looked out for those around him. When this includes his own younger brothers, Hunter, his girlfriend Hanna and her little boy, Michael feels overwhelmed. This is because he is not just trying to help them from day
Nina
First off, this novel ends at 65%. The rest is made up of the three novellas in the series, which I'd already read. Can we not trick people into thinking a book is longer than it actually is, please?

I have one main problem with this novel, and it reflects on various aspects of the story: it's all so fucking rushed.
Yes, we were all waiting impatiently for the last instalment of this series, because we love it. But if the price to pay for getting it sooner is having to read a underdeveloped hot me
Liviania
SACRIFICE is the fifth and final book in the Elemental series. The Merrick brothers - Michael, Gabriel, Nick, and Chris - have fought off several guides and proved to some former enemies that they aren't a danger. They're building a pretty good life with their significant others and Hunter, the former Guide-in-training who moved in. But an enemy is closing in, and their methods are deadly to bystanders. Michael is determined to stop whoever it is, alone, without risking his brothers.

Michael is t
  • Truth (Denazen, #4)
  • The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
  • Lark Ascending (Skylark, #3)
  • Total Possession (Wild Cards, #2)
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • Erased (Altered, #2)
  • Timestorm (Tempest, #3)
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Spark (Spark, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Collide (The Taking, #3)
  • The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Time Traveller
  • Foretold (Sisters of Fate, #1)
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands #3)
  • Let the Storm Break (Let the Sky Fall, #2)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
Brigid Kemmerer finds the time to write somewhere between caring for her family and working at her day job, but sometimes she ends up mothering her coworkers and managing her family. The Elemental Series follows a family of four orphaned brothers who control the elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, and their battles with those who want them dead.

I love friends on Goodreads, so don't hesitate
More about Brigid Kemmerer...

Elemental (5 books)
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Secret (Elemental, #4)
Storm (Elemental, #1) Spark (Elemental, #2) Spirit (Elemental, #3) Elemental (Elemental, #0.5) Secret (Elemental, #4)

“I'm not waiting for you to fuck up." Adam paused. "Just because you can't trust everyone doesn't mean you can't trust anyone.” 7 likes
“Tonight, he'd looked broken. She'd been afraid to touch him, as if one brush of skin would send him shattering into a million pieces. But then she had, and he'd clung to her as if he'd been afraid to let go. Some people might see it as weakness, but she didn't. She knew how it felt to have life yank the rug out from under you. She knew what it meant to need someone to hold you, to share the weight of the world for a minute. For a second. She would have held him all night. And then her father had shown up to act like Detective Dickhead. As usual.” 6 likes