Patrimony (Pip & Flinx #13)

Patrimony (Pip & Flinx #13)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  576 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In this new Pip & Flinx thriller, Alan Dean Foster displays the brilliance that has made him one of the brightest lights in science fiction. In Patrimony, fans will learn more about their favorite redhead–with emerald eyes, uncanny powers, and a poisonous minidrag–than they ever dreamed possible.

“I know who your father is . . . Gestalt.” A shocked Flinx hears these dyi...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Patrimony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patrimony

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul CudeEldest by Christopher Paolini
Dragons/Serpents
94th out of 249 books — 161 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Taking by Kimberly DertingA Beautiful Friendship by David WeberDragons and Cicadas by L'Poni BaldwinBeegu by Alexis Deacon
Aliens/Others
64th out of 112 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryan457
Flinx and his minidrag, Pip, go to the frontier planet of Gestalt, looking for his father. This is, of course, more important than saving the galaxy from the swiftly approaching hungry evil nothingness.

On Gestalt his skimmer is shot down in the impassable, snowbound wilderness by a bounty hunter looking to collect the humongo reward offered for Flinx's head by the doomsday cult.

I've renamed this "Flinx's Extreme Wilderness Survival Adventure."

When he does find the man he is looking for, and gets...more
Chris
When I was a kid, Alan Dean Foster was one of my favorite writers. I enjoyed his sense of humor and felt like I was just getting the in jokes. Unfortunately, it seems I have grown out of him. Part of the problem is that he's been writing the same story in miniscule stages (drawn out over a few hundred pages each step) for decades. Presumably the work is also (still) targeted at kids.

It's a pity.
Kevin
This episode seems a return to grand space opera form like the early books in the series and is by far better than the previous faux-West Side Story volume. Herein is yet another enjoyable example of exotic world building, the main reason I'm following the series. Along the way some questions that have been haunting the hero and the readers for decades are finally answered - but not all! There is yet one more volume. In a way, I'm glad. I was a teen when the series started and now I am middle-ag...more
Jessica
Susan
I have been reading Flinx and Pip since late grade school. I feel like I have grown up with this series, and so I have been putting off reading the final two in the series.

Patrimony was well done. As always, Alan Dean Foster created an interesting world with detailed native species.

Flinx is continuing his quest to find his father, and he runs into all sorts of obstacles along the way - partly due to a pesky bounty hunter and partly due to the weather and omnivorous predators. Pip saves his ass...more
Toni
Oct 08, 2008 Toni added it
Flinx finally discovers his true origins...my only problem with all these stories is that there's too much narration and not enough dialogue...perhaps if Flinx wasn't so solitary, it wouldn't be so. There's generally only him and Pip and some hunter trying to finish him off and not much face-to-face. I find myself feeling sorry for Flinx instead of wanting to find out what's going to happen.
Cupcakencorset
16. Patrimony by Alan Dean Foster – The latest in Foster’s Pip & Flinx adventures. A satisfying read, with one major question answered. The major disaster that’s threatening the galaxy is still looming, promising more adventures to come.
Miles
Dec 31, 2009 Miles rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
A decent enough read, but not Foster's best, not by a long shot. If I didn't know better I would think it was ghost written. Still, worth the time for those who've read and enjoyed the other books about Pip & Flinx.
Heather
3.5 really, but I can't bring myself to round up for a book that I could summarize in five sentences, maybe fewer, without leaving anything essential out.
Kelly Flanagan
Wish I had read the other 11 first, but a good little novel. Kept me going for 8-9 hours. Definitly will be reading the first 11 eventually.
Craig
OK entry in Foster's Pip and Flinx series, but nothing special.
Amelia
Amusing, light sci-fi. A nice easy read.
DaNela
Pip & Flinx adventure story #14
Harry
I was disappointed, seemed ho-hum.
Peter
It's a Flinx book - say no more
Ronald Marcil
Pip & Flinx Adventures #12
Roy
Roy added it
Aug 23, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Martin Wagner
Martin Wagner marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
William Meade
William Meade marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Spazrael
Spazrael marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock Series, #12)
  • Shockball (Stardoc, #4)
  • Phule's Errand (Phule's Company, #6)
  • Wolfling
  • The Sea is Full of Stars (Saga of the Well World, #6)
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • The Ethos Effect
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2) (Liaden Universe, #2)
  • The Prodigal Son (Carmine Delmonico, #4)
  • The Warding of Witch World (Witch World Series 4: Secrets of the Witch World, #3)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 3 (Man-Kzin Wars, #3)
  • Deathstalker Honor (Deathstalker, #4)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing,...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)