Start by marking “Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu” as Want to Read:
Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu

Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"The concept of doubling goes down easy in this combination of multiplication facts, rhyme, humor — and diner food." — THE HORN BOOK

Down on the farm one morning, Papa McFay orders his sons to hop to their chores. But from Minnie’s kitchen wafts a smell that gets the boys itchin’, and one by one, they succumb to the call of that sweet aroma. Each brother arrives at Minnie’s
Published July 10th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Minnie's Diner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minnie's Diner

Kalisha Mohammed
Jul 19, 2012 Kalisha Mohammed rated it it was amazing
Prior to reading this book, I will explore the idea of double with my students to ensure that the concept of double as an exact replication of a set is understood. I will illustrate this by having several different sets of items and asking my students to “Make it a double!” by creating another set exactly the same and then adding them together to get the double. For example: “Here are 4 dinosaurs. Make it a double! That’s right 4 more so we write 4 + 4 and double 4 is 8 so we write 4 + 4 = 8.”Ne ...more
Ariana
Aug 28, 2015 Ariana rated it it was amazing
Very good! Amazing actually!!! This book is great for kids just starting out learning multiply because it is fun and your kids can read along as well! Perfect for early learners and for anyone too.
Hend Alalwani
Feb 24, 2015 Hend Alalwani rated it really liked it
Age Rang: 5-8
Personal reaction:
-I like this book because it makes children learn about the double concept. The pictures are amazing, and those pictures describe the story very well. However, I do not like it because it is poor in vocabulary. They use simple word like “ big sniff, hungry, and taste good.”

Purpose:
-Read aloud for children from age five to eight.
-Discuss with the children the double concept. Also, this book would be a good resource for introduction to multiplication concept.

Curricul
Bix
An introduction to multiplication, this picture book is based on a simple concept: each of five brothers, twice as large as the next younger one, place an order at Minnie's Diner doubling that of the next younger sibling. The drawings are colorful and cartoonish, but the simple, silly story is fairly forgettable. Still, children will swallow the basic multiplication table presented here while enjoying the humorous visuals. For ages 4-7."

CIP: "Rhyming tale of five boys and their father who forget
Naomi
Jun 16, 2015 Naomi rated it it was ok
Another kind of math book. This one on multiplication. The illustrations made this fun learning. Still I found it to be just ok. While cute, it didn't have that wow factor.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Apr 08, 2010 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This book is hysterical and so much fun to read!

It is a short but fun story about 5 brothers who live on a farm. There father tells them they can't stop to eat until the chores are done. But one-by-one they smell the delicious food from Minnie's Diner and one-by-one they wander down to the diner for some food. The menu multiplies as each brother goes to eat.

Minnie's Diner is not only a funny story with funny pictures, too, but my kids enjoyed the little bit of math that is worked into this tale.
Shani Cooper
This story helps readers understand the foundation for multiplication. A teacher could play a multiplication game after reading this story to their students. The following game was introduced by my professor, Dr. Smith. The multiplication game requires two student volunteers. The two students cannot look at their cards but show them to the rest of the class. The class tells them what the product of the two numbers are. The students face each other and have to guess their number. The student that ...more
Hye Eun
Apr 09, 2011 Hye Eun rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, funny
Farm boys get hungry and every time each boy goes into the diner, he wants double of that. So 1 times 2 equals 2. Then when you double that, you get 4 then 8, and 16. This book would be good for teaching multiplication. I could have students act out the story using counters as food. Grade 2-3
Sade
Jul 17, 2012 Sade added it
Great story to demonstrate multiplication and doubling. I would use this story in the classroom by reading it first and then allowing the students to act it out to see if they came up with the same results as the book. This is great way to have fun with a difficult concept.
Lizzie
Apr 26, 2012 Lizzie rated it liked it
Not a bad introduction to the basics of multiplying by two or doubling. The preschoolers enjoyed the rhyme but the higher math but have been lost on them. They were simply understood that the bigger the brother the more food. The illustrations were cartoonish but clear.
Luana
Mar 02, 2012 Luana rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, multiplication
I would use this book to teach multiplication. It vividly shows students multiplication doubles facts and allows students to see the concept through clever rhymes and easily understandable words. This book would be great to introduce multiplication to 2nd grade.
Dolly
Aug 02, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining tale that teaches about the power of doubling, or in other words the exponential growth of two. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are very humorous. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Jennifer Bryant
Fun book that gets multiplication involved. Kids can laugh along with the humor, yet can also answer math questions throughout the book. The concept of doubling is the focus. This book is also a great read along. Fun rhythm.
Amy
Jun 13, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This silly tale about doubling had me chuckling as I read. This would be a great lead into a lesson about multiplication patterns or using known facts to solve more difficult problems.
Lauren Hahn
Jun 13, 2012 Lauren Hahn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: information, math
Rhyming book for multiplication. Would be fun to introduce exponents because of the doubling. Makes me think of the double the penny every day for a year activity.
Amy
Feb 08, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I felt this was more about doubling numbers than multiplication per se, so the title is a bit misleading.
Sharlene Spencer
Nov 15, 2009 Sharlene Spencer rated it it was ok
This book has comical illustrations and a singsong rhythm. A humorous lesson in multiplication.
Nicole
Jun 07, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Will definitely be using this one next year when we start learning doubles!
Thanks Ms. Lehman!
Jessica
Jun 13, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Good book to read when introducing multiplication. Cute short story with doubling menu orders.
Wendy
Nov 08, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it
This funny, rhyming tale of a bunch of hungry brothers is a great way to teach multiplication.
May 24, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Big hit for a farmed theme storytime that steps away from the all animal noises!
Tierra Garr
Jun 13, 2012 Tierra Garr rated it it was amazing
Funny little singsong book introducing multiplication concepts!
Erin
Jun 13, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Multiplication book with doubles
Sophie McPhillips
Sophie McPhillips marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Christina Taylor
Christina Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jan 18, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...