Start by marking “Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential foods to help prevent cancer” as Want to Read:
Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential foods to help prevent cancer

Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential foods to help prevent cancer

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Detailing the key foods that have been medically shown to be beneficial in both preventing and fighting cancer, this is the must-have resource for anyone looking to get healthy and stay that way.
Published April 16th 2007 by DK (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Foods to Fight Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foods to Fight Cancer

Val
Feb 04, 2012 Val rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was diagnosed with breast cancer on Halloween of 2011. My surgeon recommended this book. Since a nutritionist was not covered by my insurance, I opted to read this. It was easy to read, super informative, and got me on the right path to aid in healing myself in addition to my surgery and other treatments. I have recommended it to everyone who has asked me how to get on a clean eating program. It's the foundation for my life change. Great book.
Sally
Jan 12, 2012 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Dr. Richard Beliveau and Dr. Denis Gringras (cancer researchers). According to the authors, one of the risk factors for cancer is poor diet (up to 30%), that is, about one-third of all cancers may be linked to diet. They talk about what research exists that shows eating certain foods help fight cancer. The authors start with explaining two basic ideas of how cancer works:
1. Apoptosis. Cancer cells don't "commit suicide" when defective, nor respond to calls to do so by th
Foodancer.com
Jun 07, 2011 Foodancer.com rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you afraid to fly? Among others the authors dedicate to you a table of "Great fear and reality ..."(source: Time Magazine). You will learn there that the real threat of death as a result of a plane crash is 1 in 3,000,000. Apparently this is nothing fulminant. After all, it's common knowledge that air travel is much safer than driving a car.. However, shocking is that the risk of death as a result of cancer is 1 through 3 A million times more often. So what should we fear more?

Prevention, so
Ardella Crawford
The picture here is of the hardcover version; it is available in paperback. A great book, recommended by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber in his anti-cancer book, about the best things to eat for protection against cancer. I have learned a lot from this book that doesn't make it into the popular press--such as that it's the phytochemicals that matter in fighting cancer more than "anti-oxidants." Fortunately, most of the recommended foods are fun to eat anyway (like the dark chocolate--mmmm!), so this ...more
Jim
Nov 27, 2015 Jim marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-cooking
I am presently reading this and will give it 5 stars.

Clearly written, scientifically presented with great graphics on important but not wellknown research.

I became interested in this after seeing this TED presentation on Angiogenesis.

Can we Eat to Starve Cancer?

article with some of the foods

Teresa
Feb 28, 2011 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, because the very last chapter quotes; "variety is the spice of life", and things like; "moderation", which I am such a believer in, especially when it comes to food.

I bought this book because in May 2010 my sister (who was 22 years old) was diagnosed with Leukaemia.

It turned our family upside down - let alone my sister's life - and I didn't know how to help.

I've always believed that diet is important in life, possibly with constant brain washing from my father who is very he
Kim
Jun 21, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Excellent book detailing the science behind which foods help prevent cancer (and can sometimes reverse it). No surprise - they were fruits and vegetables (with a little red wine and chocolate:) and the take-away message was that you need to eat a variety. No one food - no matter how good it is - works best alone. And the nutrients in the foods are never as good in supplements as they are whole.
Dr Tarek
Aug 14, 2015 Dr Tarek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nutrition is such an important part in the fight against cancer, so books like this are so valuable.

I can also recommend a free book called Food To Fight Cancer, which you can read on www.foodtofightcancer.com
Summer
Oct 13, 2009 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
A bit science-y in places, but overall an excellent, interesting read about the relationship between food and cancer. The authors really break down each section, explaining how cancer develops and in turn how the different cancer-fighting properties of the foods affect it.

An easy read--I read through the whole book in a little less than two hours, including most of the science-y parts and have come away feeling like I can actually incorporate the knowledge into my daily lifestyle.
Leah
Feb 07, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this after I was first diagnosed. Even though I am a biologist, this book can get a bit technical, but in general, it is a super I formative, evidence-based read to help use food as part of your wellness plan. Note: the binding is terrible. I went to a print shop and had it coil bound.
Ghostsmith
Dec 10, 2012 Ghostsmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lays out ten recommended food groups. We try to include these in our meals every day and in our weekly plan. Great for fighting Cancer but also good Heart Health and around healthy eating. Easy to read and well illustrated. A chapter on each food group with practical summary.
Andre
Aug 14, 2012 Andre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une vulgarisation intéressante du cancer et des effets de l'alimentation sur les chances de développer celui-ci.
An approachable and interesting presentation of cancer and how what we eat can affect it. A good everyman approach to it.
Christina Murias
Aug 19, 2014 Christina Murias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-beauty
Good book on food to fight cancer. Well written, and with nice pictures.
That said it would have been good to have a summary of food recommended, with daily, weekly, monthly intake
Anna Margaret
Aug 31, 2007 Anna Margaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: health
This book is interesting if you are interested in learning more about health through diet. It is very scientific though, so I just kind of skimmed through some of it and took notes.
Caitlin
Apr 10, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
My mom and I found this book and decided to read it especially after Ben's cancer. It is a really cool book and I think that everyone should definitely read it.
Grandma Judy
Not a book to read cover-to-cover (unless you have cancer), but has some good info. It has a list of superfoods that are good for everyone.
Isabel
A book about food and food groups that contain ingredients that potentially suppress cancer cells.
Books Ring Mah Bell
Very informative guide. The only way this book could be improved would be the addition of recipes.
Quan
Jan 10, 2009 Quan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great and easy read to remind us of the lost value of (real) foods.
Ayla
Oct 02, 2009 Ayla rated it really liked it
Love and highly recommend this book.
Boo
Corie
Apr 30, 2012 Corie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Vern LaRue
Vern LaRue marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Tamara McKinnon
Tamara McKinnon marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Heather Mueller
Heather Mueller marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Sasha Mircov
Sasha Mircov marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
  • Anticancer
  • Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices
  • World Without Cancer: The Story of Vitamin B17
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings---And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
  • Healing the Gerson Way: Defeating Cancer and Other Chronic Diseases
  • The Thrive Diet: The Whole Food Way To Losing Weight Reducing Stress And Staying
  • The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery
  • Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips
  • Viva Polonia
  • Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod: Ein Wegweiser durch den Irrgarten der deutschen Sprache (Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod, #1)
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease
  • The Jungle Effect: A Doctor Discovers the Healthiest Diets from Around the World--Why They Work and How to Bring Them Home
  • Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
  • The Enzyme Factor
  • Golden Holocaust: Origins of the Cigarette Catastrophe and the Case for Abolition
  • The Zone Diet