Start by marking “Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential Foods to Help Prevent Cancer” as Want to Read:
Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential Foods to Help Prevent Cancer

Foods to Fight Cancer: Essential Foods to Help Prevent Cancer

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Detailing the key foods that have been medically shown to be beneficial in both preventing and fighting cancer, this is the must-have resource for anyone looking to get healthy and stay that way.
Published April 1st 2007 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Foods to Fight Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foods to Fight Cancer

Val
I was diagnosed with breast cancer on Halloween of 2011. My surgeon recommended this book. Since a nutritionist was not covered by my insurance, I opted to read this. It was easy to read, super informative, and got me on the right path to aid in healing myself in addition to my surgery and other treatments. I have recommended it to everyone who has asked me how to get on a clean eating program. It's the foundation for my life change. Great book.
Jim
Jun 17, 2010 Jim marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
I am presently reading this and will give it 5 stars.

Clearly written, scientifically presented with great graphics on important but not wellknown research.

I became interested in this after seeing this TED presentation on Angiogenesis.

Can we Eat to Starve Cancer?

article with some of the foods

Salina
This book was written by Dr. Richard Beliveau and Dr. Denis Gringras (cancer researchers). According to the authors, one of the risk factors for cancer is poor diet (up to 30%), that is, about one-third of all cancers may be linked to diet. They talk about what research exists that shows eating certain foods help fight cancer. The authors start with explaining two basic ideas of how cancer works:
1. Apoptosis. Cancer cells don't "commit suicide" when defective, nor respond to calls to do so by th...more
Teresa
I love this book, because the very last chapter quotes; "variety is the spice of life", and things like; "moderation", which I am such a believer in, especially when it comes to food.

I bought this book because in May 2010 my sister (who was 22 years old) was diagnosed with Leukaemia.

It turned our family upside down - let alone my sister's life - and I didn't know how to help.

I've always believed that diet is important in life, possibly with constant brain washing from my father who is very he...more
Foodancer.com
Are you afraid to fly? Among others the authors dedicate to you a table of "Great fear and reality ..."(source: Time Magazine). You will learn there that the real threat of death as a result of a plane crash is 1 in 3,000,000. Apparently this is nothing fulminant. After all, it's common knowledge that air travel is much safer than driving a car.. However, shocking is that the risk of death as a result of cancer is 1 through 3 A million times more often. So what should we fear more?

Prevention, so...more
Ardella Crawford
The picture here is of the hardcover version; it is available in paperback. A great book, recommended by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber in his anti-cancer book, about the best things to eat for protection against cancer. I have learned a lot from this book that doesn't make it into the popular press--such as that it's the phytochemicals that matter in fighting cancer more than "anti-oxidants." Fortunately, most of the recommended foods are fun to eat anyway (like the dark chocolate--mmmm!), so this...more
Summer
A bit science-y in places, but overall an excellent, interesting read about the relationship between food and cancer. The authors really break down each section, explaining how cancer develops and in turn how the different cancer-fighting properties of the foods affect it.

An easy read--I read through the whole book in a little less than two hours, including most of the science-y parts and have come away feeling like I can actually incorporate the knowledge into my daily lifestyle.
Ghostsmith
Lays out ten recommended food groups. We try to include these in our meals every day and in our weekly plan. Great for fighting Cancer but also good Heart Health and around healthy eating. Easy to read and well illustrated. A chapter on each food group with practical summary.
Andre
Une vulgarisation intéressante du cancer et des effets de l'alimentation sur les chances de développer celui-ci.
An approachable and interesting presentation of cancer and how what we eat can affect it. A good everyman approach to it.
Christina Murias
Good book on food to fight cancer. Well written, and with nice pictures.
That said it would have been good to have a summary of food recommended, with daily, weekly, monthly intake
Anna Margaret
Aug 31, 2007 Anna Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: health
This book is interesting if you are interested in learning more about health through diet. It is very scientific though, so I just kind of skimmed through some of it and took notes.
Caitlin
My mom and I found this book and decided to read it especially after Ben's cancer. It is a really cool book and I think that everyone should definitely read it.
Grandma Judy
Not a book to read cover-to-cover (unless you have cancer), but has some good info. It has a list of superfoods that are good for everyone.
Isabel
A book about food and food groups that contain ingredients that potentially suppress cancer cells.
Books Ring Mah Bell
Very informative guide. The only way this book could be improved would be the addition of recipes.
Quan
Great and easy read to remind us of the lost value of (real) foods.
Ayla
Love and highly recommend this book.
Boo
May 21, 2009 Boo added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Wonderful, informative book.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Marylou Lyle
Marylou Lyle marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Oct 15, 2014
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Cooking with Foods That Fight Cancer Death: The Scientific Facts to Help us Understand it better Eating Well, Living Well: An Everyday Guide for Optimum Health Samurai : Exquisite Warriors Os alimentos contra o câncer