Start by marking “Farewell, Babylon: Coming of Age in Jewish Baghdad” as Want to Read:
Farewell, Babylon: Coming of Age in Jewish Baghdad

Farewell, Babylon: Coming of Age in Jewish Baghdad

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In Farewell, Babylon, Naim Kattan takes readers into the heart of exotic mid-19th-century Baghdad's then-teeming Jewish community. Jews had lived in Iraq for 25 centuries, long before the time of Christ or Muhammad, but anti-Semitism and nationalism were on the rise. In this beautifully written memoir, a young boy comes of age and describes his discoveries — of work, liter ...more
Published February 6th 2006 by Raincoast Books

To ask other readers questions about Farewell, Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell, Babylon

Mary Soderstrom
Ten years ago the world was in turmoil after the ill-advised invasion of Iraq by American-led forces. Over the last two weeks there has been considerable comment on what happened--and didn't happen. Sadly, it seems that the lot of Iraqis is perhaps even worse than it was before.

This kind of reflectioin always sends me looking to see what I've read in the past that might resonate with the future. One of the most interesting is Naim Kattan' memoir Farewell, Babylon, first published in French in 1
David
Our images of Iraq today are quite tainted by recent events. This book tells of a very different era, a time of more openness and cooperation in the early 1940's - in the evolving years after attaining self-rule from British occupation. The Jewish community in Baghdad (in the era before the birth of the Israeli state) was accepted and respected.

The author was a young Jewish intellectual who enjoyed meeting with Muslim and Christian friends and discussing European literature, and their dreams for
Michael Lewyn
A coming of age memoir about Jewish life in 1940s Iraq. The book begins with a pogrom in 1941 and ends in 1947 when the author left the country. Although Baghdad was somewhat westernized, I was surprised by how traditional the society was: women were still secluded from male society (especially among Muslims), and marriages were still arranged with just a few minutes of contact between bride and groom.
Susan
I finished it just three days ago and I already forgot what it was about.
Hilary Hicklin
A coming-of-age memoir of a Jewish boy in Baghdad in the 1940s; I learnt a few new things but this is a poor translation which really marred any pleasure in the book. Had I known it was originally published in French I would have read it in that language.
Mark Nenadov
I found this title fairly interesting. It gives a good biographical look at a Jew living in Iraq. No "fireworks" or extremely dramatic stuff, just a good look at the human elements of the situation and some of the hardships encountered.
Adrian Brown
Interesting account of life in pre-1948 Jewish Baghdad, although not as flowing due to obvious translation of the work (it was originally published in French). Still good for those interested in Middle Eastern history.
David R.  Godine
"A fine portrait of a particular place and time that is no more."
- Library Journal

"In all respects, a most moving and haunting work."
- Montreal Star
Sandra D
Oct 15, 2008 Sandra D rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sandra D by: Lynne
Shelves: middle-east, memoir
Life in mid-20th century Baghdad from an unexpected point of view. Interesting, but not captivating.
Arwa Alyasiri
I am reading the history of iraq from other viewpoint
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Hernani
Hernani marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Alissaly
Alissaly marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Maya Wahrman
Maya Wahrman marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kerswizzle Cheyne
Kerswizzle Cheyne marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Hassan Abdulrazzak
Hassan Abdulrazzak marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Roni Bat-lavi
Roni Bat-lavi marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Tatyana Farber
Tatyana Farber marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Restaino
Restaino marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013