Start by marking “Froggy Eats Out” as Want to Read:
Froggy Eats Out

Froggy Eats Out (Froggy)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  512 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
It's a special occasion, so Froggy and his parents are going to eat dinner in a fancy restaurant. When they arrive at the restaurant, Froggy's mom has a few rules for him: "Be neat, be quiet, and don't put your feet on the table." But it's so hard for Froggy to sit still. He fidgets, he squirms, and he sssllluuuurrrrpppps his spaghetti. Then he spots Frogilina across the r ...more
Published June 23rd 2003 by Puffin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Froggy Eats Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggy Eats Out

Beth
Jan 21, 2014 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
There is a lot of "Froggy" read in this house, and for the most part, I don't mind it.
"Froggy Eats Out" is the exception. Let's start with the premise. Why are Froggy's
parents taking him with them to celebrate their anniversary? If they couldn't find
a babysitter, why not change the destination?

Instead, Froggy acts out in such a way that any half decent parent would drag him
from the restaurant to discipline him for his outlandish behavior. Instead, they
reward Froggy by taking him to the fast foo
Kathryn
May 26, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Froggy's parents take him to a fancy restaurant for their anniversary. Froggy acts out so terribly they finally decide to leave and Froggy gets to eat at the fast food place he wanted to go to in the first place. What is the message here? Parents ignoring what their children can handle? Children ignoring parents? Behaving badly long enough gets you what you want in the end? Maybe it's just supposed to be funny but this isn't one I will add to our home library.
Emilie
Feb 07, 2014 Emilie rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books
I picked up this book from Scholastic, based on the other "Froggie" books. I am sending it to Goodwill tomorrow. I am shocked that any publishing house let this book go to print.

It starts off promising...Froggy and his parents are going out to eat for a special occasion. They change their clothes and go to a fancy restaurant. His parents review manners. Froggy breaks all their rules, destroying the table settings, slurping his food, and hitting wait it's with a fork he threw. You think the mora
Kristine Hansen
Sep 03, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, picture-book
Alberto
I've never been to a restaurant, so I'm taking this book with a grain of salt. But I wonder if people are really that nosy about how you behave there?
Alex Valenzuela
Jan 30, 2015 Alex Valenzuela rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Froggy books in general and I hadn't gotten the chance to read this one before. The plot follows a funny, little green frog who always manages to do the exact opposite of what his parents ask. In Froggy Eats Out Froggy gets to go to dinner with his mom and dad for their anniversary. Despite his mom's incessant pleads for him to behave and act nicely, Froggy jumps all over the restaurant, spill his water, and completely ruin the quiet and relaxing atmosphere for everyone trying ...more
Jenny
Sep 21, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
3.5 stars I guess...I give it 3, my kids give it 4. It made them laugh out loud that froggy wanted a hamburger with flies. :) And having 3 kids, I can empathize with the froggy parents that want a nice calm dinner out and end up instead with chaos. (My kids have never been as bad as Froggy, but going out to isn't very relaxing with little kids.)
Katherine
Apr 05, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it
"Froggy Eats Out" is a silly book that students will enjoy. My second grade students really enjoy all of the Froggy books! For this book, you could show the students how certain words are written in specific ways so that the reader knows how to read them. For example words like zip, sluuurrp, etc. are written in italics to draw attention to them.
Destiny Thompson
Jul 08, 2015 Destiny Thompson rated it liked it
'Froggy East Out," is a silly story about a young frog who has horrible table manners. His parents invited him to go out to a nice restaurant for their anniversary dinner. His mother repeatedly reminded froggy to use appropriate table manners, especially because it was a very nice restaurant. The whole time Froggy is loud, rude, and messy. Until, he sees a friend, Frogalina, Froggie was extremely embarrassed by his behavior of front of the girl frog. Eventually the decide to leave to a fast food ...more
Cheyenne
Jul 16, 2014 Cheyenne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Why in the world is Froggy going with his parents to a fancy restaurant on their anniversary? Either they needed a babysitter or change the restaurant before going out.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 07, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books, frogs
I read this quite some time ago with a student during a practicum as a pre-service teacher and I am almost positive that even the student felt the story was ridiculous.
Laura Rivera
Oct 02, 2015 Laura Rivera rated it did not like it
Zequoia Hyche
Jul 14, 2014 Zequoia Hyche rated it liked it
Shelves: funny-tales
Froggy Eats Out is a very silly book and students would definitely get a kick out of it. I like how Froggy and his family goes out to eat and there are other animals there dining at the same restaurant. The waiter is an animal, and the food that they eat plays to the idea of what a frog would enjoy. For instance Froggy wanted hamburgers and flies, like humans would eat hamburgers and fries. I thought this was a very cute book and humorous to read.
Jul 29, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
Despite the fact that many adult reviewers think this sends a bad message, the school-age kids I shared this book with love the Froggy stories, thought this one was hilarious, and didn't seem to think they should copy Froggy's bad behavior. Pretty good, for the right audience - old enough to know better, young enough to laugh (instead of cringe).
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 03, 2014 Shakeema Gabriel rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners
This book could be used to teach manners. You could use this also teach how you eat at home is not the same as when you eat out. This was a neat book about going out to a fancy restaurant. You could talk to the children about their favorite restaurants and to describe their experience at the restaurant. You could ask them do they eat the same way they do at home at a restaurant.
Rosa Cline
Aug 12, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Froggy is an only 'child' in his household and sometimes gets himself into some mischief accidentally. In this story his parents are celebrating their anniversary and they all go to a very nice restaurant where Froggy has to dress up, be good, and patient. But with time waiting on food he gets into trouble.
Jaelyn J.
Jul 12, 2015 Jaelyn J. added it
Shelves: humorous
Great book for a restaurant theme. We would read the book, then we would reenact it. The first reenact would be of the original or wrong way to behave at a restaurant. For the second reenact I love have the students problem solve to figure out a different way the little froggy could act in the restaurant (i.e. instead of slurping his spaghetti, he could cut up the pasta into little bits and then eat it).
Mary
Mar 20, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
A well-paced story about Froggy going out to eat at a fancy restaurant. Froggy's goofy dinner time antics and the myriad of sound effects make this a fun read-aloud. Also young readers especially love Froggy's reaction to seeing Frogalina.
Jermeria Daniel
Jun 28, 2015 Jermeria Daniel rated it really liked it
I would use this book as a way to show children how to behave in a restaurant. As an activity, I would set the classroom tables up as if we were in a restaurant so that children can practice their etiquette skills.
Inara
Jun 03, 2015 Inara rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, frog-themed
From Inara's mom: I would like it if Froggy did not always get away with his bad behavior. Inara and I talk about how it is inappropriate, but Froggy is barely corrected in the stories.
Luzali
Mar 05, 2014 Luzali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pedro-miguel
me siento identificada con este libro, no porque lleve ami hijo a mi cena de aniversario sino porque es cierto es taaan difícil estarrse quieto y calladito
Sarah Adamson
Froggy and his parents are going out to eat at a fancy restaurant. There are so many things wrong with this story. Not good, just points out lots of possible problems.
Olivia Bailey
This book teaches about manners. All children should know how to act in a public place that exhibits respect for one's self and others. That is through manners. Froggy show what not to do when you eat out.

I would read this book if students are having a problem eating in the cafeteria. I would read the book and do a mock kitchen so they students to practice how they should eat, then apply that to the cafeteria.

This book does teach that people make mistakes. The important thing to do is to learn
Danielle Messer
Jan 22, 2015 Danielle Messer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, funny, habits
I liked how froggy kept wanting burgers and flies. I liked how he described himself when he got dressed up.
Leah Puckett
Oct 20, 2012 Leah Puckett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, food
Froggy Eats Out teaches children about dinner etiquettes. Children could also get understanding on how to dress themselves the author and illustrator helps with an easy understanding on both dressing and grooming yourself and also dinner etiquettes.

Learning Experience:
Read the book during circle time. At lunch time, have the students bring back their lunch to the classroom. Practice table manners while eating lunch based on the manners talked about in the book.
Before giving manners directions as
Seon Kim
This book is a great way to introduce some adaptive skills to young children such as getting dressed. With this book, I can implement different activities. For example, children can draw steps to get ready to go to a dinner. In addition, I can discuss about appropriate and inappropriate manners in public.
Kim T.
Jan 21, 2015 Kim T. rated it really liked it
Froggy books are simply delightful. We love each and every one of them.
Megan
Jan 24, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Froggy gets in a lot of trouble like usually. I loved the book.
Portia
Aug 06, 2014 Portia rated it really liked it
Funny because of some puns and details.
Patricia
Jan 01, 2012 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-picture
  • Clifford's Busy Week (Clifford the Big Red Dog (Paperback))
  • "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Yoko
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • Fast Food
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • I Miss You, Stinky Face
  • The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need (First Time Books)
  • Ready for Anything!
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • If I Had a Dragon
  • One Snowy Night
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...

Froggy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Froggy Gets Dressed