Start by marking “Froggy Eats Out” as Want to Read:
Froggy Eats Out

Froggy Eats Out (Froggy)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  48 reviews
It's a special occasion, so Froggy and his parents are going to eat dinner in a fancy restaurant. When they arrive at the restaurant, Froggy's mom has a few rules for him: "Be neat, be quiet, and don't put your feet on the table." But it's so hard for Froggy to sit still. He fidgets, he squirms, and he sssllluuuurrrrpppps his spaghetti. Then he spots Frogilina across the r ...more
Published June 23rd 2003 by Puffin (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Froggy Eats Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggy Eats Out

Beth
There is a lot of "Froggy" read in this house, and for the most part, I don't mind it.
"Froggy Eats Out" is the exception. Let's start with the premise. Why are Froggy's
parents taking him with them to celebrate their anniversary? If they couldn't find
a babysitter, why not change the destination?

Instead, Froggy acts out in such a way that any half decent parent would drag him
from the restaurant to discipline him for his outlandish behavior. Instead, they
reward Froggy by taking him to the fast foo
Jenny
3.5 stars I guess...I give it 3, my kids give it 4. It made them laugh out loud that froggy wanted a hamburger with flies. :) And having 3 kids, I can empathize with the froggy parents that want a nice calm dinner out and end up instead with chaos. (My kids have never been as bad as Froggy, but going out to isn't very relaxing with little kids.)
Katherine
"Froggy Eats Out" is a silly book that students will enjoy. My second grade students really enjoy all of the Froggy books! For this book, you could show the students how certain words are written in specific ways so that the reader knows how to read them. For example words like zip, sluuurrp, etc. are written in italics to draw attention to them.
Emilie
I picked up this book from Scholastic, based on the other "Froggie" books. I am sending it to Goodwill tomorrow. I am shocked that any publishing house let this book go to print.

It starts off promising...Froggy and his parents are going out to eat for a special occasion. They change their clothes and go to a fancy restaurant. His parents review manners. Froggy breaks all their rules, destroying the table settings, slurping his food, and hitting wait it's with a fork he threw. You think the mora
Randie
I read this quite some time ago with a student during a practicum as a pre-service teacher and I am almost positive that even the student felt the story was ridiculous.
Zequoia Hyche
Froggy Eats Out is a very silly book and students would definitely get a kick out of it. I like how Froggy and his family goes out to eat and there are other animals there dining at the same restaurant. The waiter is an animal, and the food that they eat plays to the idea of what a frog would enjoy. For instance Froggy wanted hamburgers and flies, like humans would eat hamburgers and fries. I thought this was a very cute book and humorous to read.
Shakeema Gabriel
This book could be used to teach manners. You could use this also teach how you eat at home is not the same as when you eat out. This was a neat book about going out to a fancy restaurant. You could talk to the children about their favorite restaurants and to describe their experience at the restaurant. You could ask them do they eat the same way they do at home at a restaurant.
Rosa Cline
Froggy is an only 'child' in his household and sometimes gets himself into some mischief accidentally. In this story his parents are celebrating their anniversary and they all go to a very nice restaurant where Froggy has to dress up, be good, and patient. But with time waiting on food he gets into trouble.
Cheyenne
Why in the world is Froggy going with his parents to a fancy restaurant on their anniversary? Either they needed a babysitter or change the restaurant before going out.
Kristine Pratt
Luzali
me siento identificada con este libro, no porque lleve ami hijo a mi cena de aniversario sino porque es cierto es taaan difícil estarrse quieto y calladito
Sarah Adamson
Froggy and his parents are going out to eat at a fancy restaurant. There are so many things wrong with this story. Not good, just points out lots of possible problems.
Olivia Bailey
This book teaches about manners. All children should know how to act in a public place that exhibits respect for one's self and others. That is through manners. Froggy show what not to do when you eat out.

I would read this book if students are having a problem eating in the cafeteria. I would read the book and do a mock kitchen so they students to practice how they should eat, then apply that to the cafeteria.

This book does teach that people make mistakes. The important thing to do is to learn
Leah Puckett
Froggy Eats Out teaches children about dinner etiquettes. Children could also get understanding on how to dress themselves the author and illustrator helps with an easy understanding on both dressing and grooming yourself and also dinner etiquettes.

Learning Experience:
Read the book during circle time. At lunch time, have the students bring back their lunch to the classroom. Practice table manners while eating lunch based on the manners talked about in the book.
Before giving manners directions as
Portia
Funny because of some puns and details.
Patricia
Jennifer Amichia
This is a great book to show students for its writing style. The author spotlights several words (adjectives) with the use of italicized font. This would be good in helping students pin point what they should be looking for. It also serves in showing students that creativity in their writing is encouraged! Apart from the italicized words, the author also used interesting word play to tie the reader back to the "frog" theme of the book, such as: leap frog and fast flies (fast food). Really creati ...more
Kelly
My students (2 to 5 year olds) have recently been transforming our dramatic play area into their own restaurant. Froggy Eats Out was a nice way to set the stage early on that there are different types of restaurants, ranging from fancy to casual, that require different social behaviors. The book focuses on front-of-house experiences at restaurants, and children connect positively to Froggy and his tribulations.
Annette
Yet another in the series of Froggy books. I've read lots of these to my kids at school. They really LOVE Froggy. I guess it's because they can relate to him so well.

He doesn't follow rules very well, makes lots of mistakes (and replies, "Oops."), and gets embarrassed because of it all. But in the end his parents love him anyway and the stories always end happily.
Krista
I like that these Froggy books are a continued series so that the readers can get familiar with the characters as they read from book to book. This book kind of covers how to act a restaurant, which i think is an important lesson for children to learn. It contains great illustrations and a fun story line that gets readers involved.
Jen
Having two boys of my own, I could definitely relate to Froggy in this book! It's his parents' anniversary so they go out to a fancy restaurant for dinner where Froggy's mom tells him to behave himself. But a young froggy has a terrible time doing this at the restaurant! Cute book that I think all kids could relate to.
Guen
In my family, this one is not a favorite from the Froggy series. We do like many of the Froggy books though and this one follows the well established by now Froggy formula.

"... looking more red in the face than green..." etc...etc...etc...

When you try too hard to fit a story to a formula it begins to show.
Samantha
Jan 03, 2012 Samantha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who can stomach Froggy
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
Froggy is back in an all new mealtime adventure! This time, Froggy just can't seem to get things right when he & his family go out for his parent's anniversary. What happens when Froggy's parents have had enough of his antics? A great story that will teach little ones a lesson or two. =)
Dona
I wish I could give this 3.5 stars because 3 feels a little too low and 4 seems a little too high. Froggy goes to a nice restaurant with his family and as you can imagine things don't run smoothly but don't worry everything turns out fine in the end.
Samantha
This book shows how to get ready to go out to eat. It shows manners, like being quiet and neat. Froggy has to get cleaned up and wear fancy clothes. There's an interesting twist at the end. There are lots of action words (Zip! Zap! Flop! Crash!).
Emmy Ryan
this book is about a frog named froggy who goes out to eat at a nice restaurant with his parents for their anniversary. this book can relate to kids because the frog family is like an everyday family. this pictures are colorful and funny as well.
Stephani Snow
Froggy eats out for his parents anniversary at a fancy restaurant. He makes lots of mistakes and gets his food everywhere. In the end the family decides to always go to a fly food restaurant. They leap frog the whole way.

Picture Book
Joe
This is fun book to read to kids. It has a different style of writing. The author uses works for different sounds of frog croaking, pants zipping, water splashing, etc. It's a fun book to read to kids who like to read while making noises.
Rachel
This picture book follows Froggy as he eats at a fancy restaurant with his parents. He manners quickly become an issue and are what the plot is centered around. This book could be used in a lesson about making connections.
Tricia
So many reasons to love Froggy...this story shares his experience eating out at a fancy restaurant for his parents' anniversary. Poor confused Froggy. I'm guessing that his parents get a babysitter for their next special event.
  • Clifford's Busy Week (Clifford the Big Red Dog (Paperback))
  • Yoko
  • "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • The Berenstain Bears Lend a Helping Hand (First Time Books)
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • I Spy Mystery: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • The Quilt Story
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • One Snowy Night
  • Three Cheers for Tacky
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...
Froggy Gets Dressed Froggy Goes to School Froggy Learns to Swim Froggy Goes to Bed Froggy's First Kiss