Start by marking “Hidden Book In The Bible” as Want to Read:
Hidden Book In The Bible

Hidden Book In The Bible

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

Renowned biblical sleuth and scholar Richard Elliot Friedman reveals the first work of prose literature in the world-a 3000-year-old epic hidden within the books of the Hebrew Bible. Written by a single, masterful author but obscured by ancient editors and lost for millennia, this brilliant epic of love, deception, war, and redemption is a compelling account of humankind's

402 pages
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Book In The Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Book In The Bible

John
May 28, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crisis-of-faith
With appreciation from Dr. Friedman's scholastic honesty and sincerity, I am enjoying reading about an approach to Biblical studies that should otherwise enrage me as a believer. As I read, thought, my interest in the Bible as God's Word is strengthened not challenged. My faith has a tighter grasp of its hope in the message of Scripture and I continue to see it as more than good literature or merely the first history or prose.

Any talk of viewing the Bible stories or discrediting its miracles as
James M. Madsen, M.D.
An excellent follow-up to Friedman's earlier work Who Wrote the Bible, this book restores what Friedman considers to be the text of the core story from the Old Testament. I find such reconstructed texts (as in The Five Gospels, by the Jesus Seminar, or, in a fantasy setting, The Silmarillion) to be both exhilarating and problematic, but Friedman's excellent writing carries the day.
David Holmer
Jul 22, 2011 David Holmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have been brought up believing we have to "rightly divide" the Bible (II Tim 2:15) and I think Friedman got it right!
Crystal Hunter
Jun 12, 2016 Crystal Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling scholarship and very readable text.
Sue
This book represents the consecutive writings of "J" as interpreted by Friedman. It's interesting and beautifully put together (after all, isn't this person a Bible writer, eloquent and poignant?), but at this time I'm more interested in reading the whole history of the times, including the documents found from neighboring states, to gain a greater understanding of how this faith I subscribe to took shape - its context, its culture, its times. This book will stay on my shelves and I'll pick it u ...more
Jcurmudge
Jul 13, 2009 Jcurmudge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Interesting concept based on linguistic research. The early books of the Bible contain what was just one major work from Adam to Solomon. The original author used only the 4 letter "word" for God throughout (YHWH) and never variations of "elohim". It certainly makes sense to me. In our time other writers would have been sued for plagiarism.
Kilian Metcalf
Way over my head. This is a work for people who are very grounded in Torah and knowledgeable about Torah scholarship and research. I understood about one word in three. Not his fault, the lack is mine, but readers should know this is not for the average person.
Sandra
Aug 05, 2008 Sandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian, johns-find
interesting book --worth paging through....
Foxbat
Foxbat marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Rj Price
Rj Price marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Magdelanye
Magdelanye marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ed Aposhian
Ed Aposhian marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Francisco
Francisco marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Faisal
Faisal marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Jul 15, 2016
Sujit Mohan
Sujit Mohan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Umuhoza Nicole
Umuhoza Nicole marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jonathon Riley
Jonathon Riley rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Vincent Baiamonte
Vincent Baiamonte rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Bchima
Bchima marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Seth Speiser
Seth Speiser rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Cynthia Counter
Cynthia Counter is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Olivia Jackson
Olivia Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Raleigh
Raleigh rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Oxford History Of The Biblical World
  • Peter, Paul & Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History & Legend
  • Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
  • The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (The Schocken Bible, Volume 1)
  • Writings on Civil Disobedience and Non Violence
  • In Search of Paul
  • Complete Works
  • James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights
  • Muhammad
  • Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime: From the Sedition Act of 1798 to the War on Terrorism
  • The Other Bible