Start by marking “The Accomplice” as Want to Read:
The Accomplice

The Accomplice

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
'You can almost smell the seasalt... a superb mix of lyricism and economy.' - Sunday Herald, UK
Published November 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Accomplice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accomplice

Kas
Aug 08, 2009 Kas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. The tension is gripping, the story unpredictable (despite it's basis in history), and I didn't want to leave Judith alone for a minute. I needed to know what would happen.
Michele
Mar 30, 2010 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Accomplice tells the the story of Judith Bastiaansz, a survivor of the sinking of The Batavia in the 1600's. Judith tells the story from the perspective of time -she's an older woman, waiting for her grandchild to be born, and trying to find some sort of peace. By placing the story after the events of the mutiny, the writer makes the novel about more than shipwreck, and much more than a page-turning tale of adventure. The novel becomes about what people do to survive, and how they carry on a ...more
Jim Mcfarlane
Toni
Having read Peter Fitzsimmons, Batavia last year, I was keen to read this fictionalised account of Judith Bastiaansz, especially given she was the survivor I felt the most heartbreak and sympathy for. The story is about the ship-wreck off the western coast of Australia and the terrible aftermath of the sinking of a Dutch ship called Batavia in the 1600's - a Lord of the Flies tale that was sadly true with the murder and terrorising of approx. 100 men, women and children who survived the initial ...more
Sorcha
Mar 10, 2012 Sorcha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is a fictionalised account of an apparently true story, of the sinking of a Dutch ship on the way to Australia/New Zealand and the survival of some of the passengers and crew.

It is a short but difficult to read book and I did struggle. It's not necessarily the fault of the book, but it is the harrowing tale of people marooned on isolated islands with few natural resources, little chance of rescue and complicity in the decisions until people realise it's too late.
Ali Barrah
A true account of a ship wreck off the west coast of Australia in the seventeenth centuray and of the guilt one of the surviving passengers, Judith Bastiaansz, must have felt towards the shocking and extraordinary events that took place.
Throughout the ages men have been ruthless in their desire to control others and Kathryn Heyman's portryal of Conraat is well told.
Averil
Jul 12, 2012 Averil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a devastating story, one I often think back to with a goose-pimpling shiver. Heyman's depiction of the events of the ill-fated Batavia is haunting, heartbreaking, shocking, and so evocatively written. I am now morbidly fascinated by the history of the Batavia.
Kate MacKinnon
I read this last year sometime, so the details are foggy.
However, I remember it being a well done story if not a bit -lord of the Flies...It was dark & grim at times but given the plot one would expect that. It was slow to start but worth the read.
Wwmrsweasleydo
Not particularly readable. The attempt to replicate the seventeenth century language made this feel stilted. The events in it are shocking, but there seems to be little plot or structure beyond a straight retelling of a series of atrocities.
Maryanne
Feb 27, 2011 Maryanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply written but harrowing tale of wanton slaughter and horror. Not my cup of tea.
Rebecca Dumont
Mar 08, 2014 Rebecca Dumont rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book a while ago, and at that time I was really into reading Historical Fictions. So after reading the back of the book I thought that this was going to be great. But again I was wrong. I judge the book by its cover, and not in the way people mean when they say it either. Firstly, it took forever for the story to start. I was pushing myself to read and become engaged in it for the first hundred pages or so. Now this is an, what I would call, average size book. So I was close to hal ...more
Lusine
Aug 14, 2010 Lusine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartbreaking novel
KtotheC
KtotheC marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Judy Tremblett
Judy Tremblett rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Angelique Simonsen
Angelique Simonsen rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
军 范
军 范 marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Rebecca Delandre
Rebecca Delandre marked it as to-read
Beiza
Beiza added it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kathryn Heyman (born 1965) is the author of four novels: The Breaking (1997), Keep Your Hands on the Wheel (1999), The Accomplice (2003) and most recently Captain Starlight's Apprentice (2006). She is also a playwright for theatre and radio and has held a number of creative writing fellowships in the UK and Australia. Her short stories have appeared in a number of collections and also on radio. He ...more
More about Kathryn Heyman...