Start by marking “Stella Makes Good” as Want to Read:
Stella Makes Good

Stella Makes Good

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Can mother-of-two, Stella forge a new life for herself after the end of her marriage? A funny and insightful novel about love, friendship and the quest for happiness.
Published January 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Stella Makes Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella Makes Good

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
In the northern suburbs of Sydney, three friends Stella, Carly and Jesse are having a quiet drink. Stella, amicably separated with two teenagers has her eye on handsome single dad, Doctor Mike, while (married) Carly has had too much to drink and is flirting outrageously with one of Mike’s friends. When Jesse heads home early to relieve the babysitter of her twins because her husband calls to say he is working late, Stella reluctantly follows Carly to a party with Mike and his mates but the women ...more
Lizzy Chandler
Feb 22, 2012 Lizzy Chandler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoyed Christine Stinson's Getting Even With Fran.
I can count on one hand the number of Chick Lit or contemporary women's fiction I've read that hasn't been written by friends, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel. That said, I found myself quickly swept up into the world Heidke created and caring about her characters' fates.

Although it is ostensibly Stella's story, it is actually an ensemble piece, tracking the lives of Stella, her friends and their families. While Stella is the most well adjusted - despite being faced with, initial
Marianne
From an advance uncorrected proof copy
Stella Makes Good is the 4th novel by Australian author, Lisa Heidke. Stella Sparks, librarian and mum of two teens, is amicably separated from her husband Terry, even though he left her for the voluptuous Amanda. They remain friends, both caring about their kids, and Stella even looks out for Terry’s mum, June. Stella’s closest friends, Jesse, another librarian, and Carly, a stay-at-home mum, wish they were as together as Stella seems to be. But Jesse’s hu
Robin Riedstra
What I love about Stella Makes Good is that it is Chick Lit (I do not use that term in a disparaging way, I happen to think there is nothing wrong with reading or writing stories for women and am a little bit "shame on you" about people who think there is something bad about that), that has an older female lead. It isn't your standard mid 20's woman coming to terms with finding her way for the first time, it is an older woman who thinks she has lost everything and then gets her groove back.

I do
Paula  Phillips
As a huge fan of Australia author's Lisa Heidke's books , when I recieved Stella Makes Good, I couldn't wait to start reading as I wonder what new storylines and characters Lisa would come up and I have to say I loved the fact that Stella - the main character and Jesse worked in a library and Stella organised the toddler time :) and the fact that she didn't fit into the stereotypical librarian cast , made the story even better. As I so could relate , being a Children's and Teen's librarian mysel ...more
Bree T
Stella and her ex-husband Terry are on excellent terms, even though they’re separated and Terry is now living with another woman. Stella is philosophical – their marriage had run its course, they had realised they had nothing to talk about with each other once their children were removed from the equation. She’s happy to maintain a friendly and communicative relationship with him, encouraging her children to visit him, even though they aren’t too happy that Dad is shacked up with another woman. ...more
Lauren Murphy
Stella Makes Good is contemporary women’s fiction set in Sydney’s northern suburbs. Stella Sparks is the mother of two kids, recently separated from her husband, Terry who has just moved in with a younger woman. Stella is not bitter about the divorce and is happy looking after the kids, caring for the mother-in-law, hanging out with her two friends Carly and Jesse, working in the local library and dodging dates with the good-looking doctor Mike from her son’s school.

Carly is a partier,
Diochel
where do i start? well I like most of the characters, a lot, that's why I want to know them more and have a more thorough view of their story. But, reading this book is like watching a movie teaser. It won't give you the whole events and backstories, only the highlights. Sometimes its convenient cause i won't have to endure a very long ramblings of one of the characters, but most of the time, its unsatisfying.
In short, I would really like it to have more of its individual story going on especial
Stacey Taylor
I really enjoyed this book and managed to read it in virtually one sitting! Lisa described the characters in such a way that you felt real emotions for them as if they were a real person; someone you knew. I fell in love with Stella and envied the way she dealt with the recent separation with her partner Terry, I felt pity for Jesse and despised her husband Steve (especially after the climax of their story! What kind of man enjoys wearing a nappy and a dog collar?!) I really enjoyed how there we ...more
Carrie
This was very fun, entertaining Chick Lit. It tells the story of three Australian women who are there to support each other through problem marriages and other issues.

I enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading others by the same author!

(I won this book on First Reads. Thanks, Goodreads!)
Matthew Morgan
I quite enjoyed this book, it's not what I would usually read but the humour and situations presented kept me reading.

I'd defineatley reccomend this to anyone who like chick-lit, chick humour.

(Won through first-reads)
Ms_MotorbikeNut
The latest book from Lisa Heidke, with each passing book she gets better and better I do urge any reader to read all her books you will fall in love with them .
Juanita Kees
I think I'm a Heidke fan... review to follow soon.
Janine
A better read than I thought it would be.
Geramie Barker
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and witty. The characters were well developed and easy to relate to. Really well written book. Glad I got the chance to read this one..
Shelley Kowalski
Would have given it 0 stars if I could! Awful!
Stephanie Ward
Stephanie Ward is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Therese Ferguson
Therese Ferguson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Tara Hawkins
Tara Hawkins marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Jessica Brasseal
Jessica Brasseal marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Marie White
Marie White marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Janelle Collins
Janelle Collins marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Hexe
Hexe marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Lyndee
Lyndee marked it as to-read
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Gemma Smith
Gemma Smith marked it as to-read
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
  • The Road Home
  • Queen of the Road
  • Dead Heat
  • Last Summer
  • Scared Yet?
After growing up in Brisbane, I ran away to Sydney, via London, and worked in book and magazine publishing. After many years living in the inner west, I was surprised one morning to wake up and find myself married with three children and living on the North Shore.

I’m not one of those people who’ve always wanted to write a novel...okay, I am one of those people. But it wasn’t until a few years ago
More about Lisa Heidke...
What Kate Did Next Claudia's Big Break Lucy Springer Gets Even It Started with a Kiss