Start by marking “Theosophy an Introduction” as Want to Read:
Theosophy an Introduction

Theosophy an Introduction

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A clear, concise explanation of human nature; the worlds of body, soul, and spirit; the laws of reincarnation; and the workings of karma.
Published November 1st 2012 by Start Publishing LLC (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Theosophy an Introduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theosophy an Introduction

Greg
This is one of the two key foundation texts for Rudolph Steiner's new religious movement Anthroposophy. It is a mish-mash of Neoplatonism and Vedanta expressed in 19th century scientific jargon. Steiner is a key figure in early 20th century spiritualism and his writings are important background in the study of the New Age movement.
Roger Buck
For reasons indicated here: http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2011/... ...

I do not even want to rate this book. My views on Steiner are so complex and so likely to be misunderstood that I would rather not reduce them to soundbites.

I simply want to say I have read this book and that whilst Steiner served to free me from Eastern Theosophy and the New Age scene I found at Findhorn, Valentin Tomberg, in turn, provided me with a very different hermeneutic with which to engage Steiner.

I hope the above l...more
Sheila
The man is a genius. But my advice to anyone who has never read Steiner? Try to stay awake! Black coffee and a bright reading lamp! (This was my first Steiner book and I slept more while reading it than I did at night!)

I believe his writings are all translated from lectures and such. It is hard to get used to the indepth style of writing, especially after reading writings of current authors.

Steiner was born in mid 1800. He didn't actually go public with his writings until late into the 1800's.
He...more
Lord
The title of this book can be mischevious and it is very unfortunate that Rudolf Steiner is by many people viewed as a "mere theosoph". There was indeed a stage in his life when he joined the theosophical society but because of the unsurmountable differences of opinions he was forced to leave and founded the Anthroposophical society. So the title of this book should really be "Anthroposophy" but the word "theosophy" stays in his books and written lectures for the historical faithfulness.
As for t...more
Nadja Lepsch
In this book, Rudolf Steiner teach us about the basic understandings of Theosophy with good examples and clarity. Basic text for whom intends to study Anthroposophy.
Coquille Fleur
This was the first book required in my Waldorf Teacher training. Great Steiner in a nutshell. Helped me develop my spiritual organs (and give them a name). Fundamental to understanding Steiner and Waldorf.
Andras
This is a great book. I like all books from Steiner but when I became interested in Theosophy, friends recommended me this one. All that Steiner wrote is worth exploring.
Matt
Incredible read. Had to repeat many sections many times to digest the thoughts. Thoroughly breaks down our relation to the cosmos. Spirit, soul, and body.
Tia
Dec 06, 2007 Tia added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Waldorf Schooling
My kids are in Waldorf School. I need a basic to understand the pedagogical framework of Steiner's teaching approach.
Karin
Dense book... I'm reading it in a study group. Great images thru words.
JL Torres
A challenging masterpiece of spiritual depiction and instruction.
Robin Vig
Easier to read than Philosophy of Freedom.
Diana Naghdalyan
Diana Naghdalyan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Saba Tchulukhadze
Saba Tchulukhadze marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kat Dellinger
Kat Dellinger marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Kiss
Kiss marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Johan Schepmans
Johan Schepmans is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
Emma
Emma is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Denisa Ștefănescu
Denisa Ștefănescu marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
  • The Key to Theosophy
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • The Key to Solomon's Key: Secrets of Magic and Masonry
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice
  • The Presence of the Past: Morphic Resonance and the Habits of Nature
  • Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
  • Saving the Appearances: The First Two Centuries
  • Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man
  • The Holotropic Mind: The Three Levels of Human Consciousness and How They Shape Our Lives
  • A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
  • Giordano Bruno & Hermetic Tradition
  • Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism
Steiner was a philosopher, social thinker, architect, and esotericist.

"Steiner led this movement through several phases. In the first, more philosophically oriented phase, Steiner attempted to find a synthesis between science and mysticism; his philosophical work of these years, which he termed spiritual science, sought to provide a connection between the cognitive path of Western philosophy and t...more
More about Rudolf Steiner...
How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy) Intuitive Thinking as a Spiritual Path: A Philosophy of Freedom (Classics in Anthroposophy) The Education of the Child: And Early Lectures on Education (Foundations of Waldorf Education, 25) Outline of Esoteric Science Anthroposophy in Everyday Life

“Just as in the body, eye and ear develop as organs of perception, as senses for bodily processes, so does a man develop in himself soul and spiritual organs of perception through which the soul and spiritual worlds are opened to him. For those who do not have such higher senses, these worlds are dark and silent, just as the bodily world is dark and silent for a being without eyes and ears.” 54 likes