Start by marking “Theosophy an Introduction” as Want to Read:
Theosophy an Introduction

Theosophy an Introduction

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A clear, concise explanation of human nature; the worlds of body, soul, and spirit; the laws of reincarnation; and the workings of karma.
Published November 1st 2012 by Start Publishing LLC (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Theosophy an Introduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theosophy an Introduction

This is one of the two key foundation texts for Rudolph Steiner's new religious movement Anthroposophy. It is a mish-mash of Neoplatonism and Vedanta expressed in 19th century scientific jargon. Steiner is a key figure in early 20th century spiritualism and his writings are important background in the study of the New Age movement.
Roger Buck
For reasons indicated here: ...

I do not even want to rate this book. My views on Steiner are so complex and so likely to be misunderstood that I would rather not reduce them to soundbites.

I simply want to say I have read this book and that whilst Steiner served to free me from Eastern Theosophy and the New Age scene I found at Findhorn, Valentin Tomberg, in turn, provided me with a very different hermeneutic with which to engage Steiner.

I hope the above l
The man is a genius. But my advice to anyone who has never read Steiner? Try to stay awake! Black coffee and a bright reading lamp! (This was my first Steiner book and I slept more while reading it than I did at night!)

I believe his writings are all translated from lectures and such. It is hard to get used to the indepth style of writing, especially after reading writings of current authors.

Steiner was born in mid 1800. He didn't actually go public with his writings until late into the 1800's.
The title of this book can be mischevious and it is very unfortunate that Rudolf Steiner is by many people viewed as a "mere theosoph". There was indeed a stage in his life when he joined the theosophical society but because of the unsurmountable differences of opinions he was forced to leave and founded the Anthroposophical society. So the title of this book should really be "Anthroposophy" but the word "theosophy" stays in his books and written lectures for the historical faithfulness.
As for t
Nadja Lepsch
In this book, Rudolf Steiner teach us about the basic understandings of Theosophy with good examples and clarity. Basic text for whom intends to study Anthroposophy.
Greg Savage
If you are keen on cults and drivel then
Rudolph is your man. He does have a big following so It may be me who can't penetrate his doublespeak. I suspect that there is a lot of people looking for something to believe in. This is not the guy, though the cult does seem basically harmless.
Coquille Fleur
This was the first book required in my Waldorf Teacher training. Great Steiner in a nutshell. Helped me develop my spiritual organs (and give them a name). Fundamental to understanding Steiner and Waldorf.
This is a great book. I like all books from Steiner but when I became interested in Theosophy, friends recommended me this one. All that Steiner wrote is worth exploring.
Incredible read. Had to repeat many sections many times to digest the thoughts. Thoroughly breaks down our relation to the cosmos. Spirit, soul, and body.
"Spiritual researchers challenged their students, not to BELIEVE what they are told but to THINK it." - pg 179.
Dec 06, 2007 Tia added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Waldorf Schooling
My kids are in Waldorf School. I need a basic to understand the pedagogical framework of Steiner's teaching approach.
Dense book... I'm reading it in a study group. Great images thru words.
JL Torres
A challenging masterpiece of spiritual depiction and instruction.
Robin Vig
Easier to read than Philosophy of Freedom.
Antra added it
Oct 10, 2015
Søren Esbjørn
Søren Esbjørn marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Abbie Simons
Abbie Simons marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Michael Almeida de Oliveira
Michael Almeida de Oliveira is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
Gwynbleidd marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Gene marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Melissa Matheson
Melissa Matheson marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
  • The Great Initiates
  • The Light Inside the Dark: Zen, Soul, and the Spiritual Life
  • The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide
  • The Key to Solomon's Key: Secrets of Magic and Masonry
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • Meister Eckhart, from Whom God Hid Nothing: Sermons, Writings, and Sayings
Steiner was a philosopher, social thinker, architect, and esotericist.

"Steiner led this movement through several phases. In the first, more philosophically oriented phase, Steiner attempted to find a synthesis between science and mysticism; his philosophical work of these years, which he termed spiritual science, sought to provide a connection between the cognitive path of Western philosophy and t
More about Rudolf Steiner...
How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy) Intuitive Thinking as a Spiritual Path: A Philosophy of Freedom The Education of the Child: And Early Lectures on Education (Foundations of Waldorf Education, 25) Outline of Esoteric Science Anthroposophy in Everyday Life

“Just as in the body, eye and ear develop as organs of perception, as senses for bodily processes, so does a man develop in himself soul and spiritual organs of perception through which the soul and spiritual worlds are opened to him. For those who do not have such higher senses, these worlds are dark and silent, just as the bodily world is dark and silent for a being without eyes and ears.” 65 likes
“He who is unwilling to trust to the power of thinking cannot, in fact, enlighten himself regarding higher spiritual facts.” 1 likes