Start by marking “Literary Life” as Want to Read:
Literary Life

Literary Life

This book consists of approximately fifty 'Literary Life' cartoons which were serialised weekly every Saturday in the Guardian's Review section from November 2002 until December 2004, and two short stories, 'Murder at Matabele Mansions' and 'Cinderella'.

Posy Simmonds examines the pretensions of the literary world with her customary flair for light, witty satire and social
Published November 27th 2003 by Jonathan Cape (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Life

Philippe Malzieu
Jan 07, 2015 Philippe Malzieu rated it really liked it
I discovered Posi Simmonds when I saw the Stephen Frears' movies Tamara drewe. It was already a story on writer's life. I read the book and I found it so charming, so british, a fine social analysis with humour. After, there was Gemma Bovery, a funny adaptation fron Flaubert and now this one. There are comic strips made for the Guardian. thus the difficulty of the exercise is to find an unity from this heterogenous pièces. By impressionists touches, she gives us a satyr of the English literary c ...more
Laurent
Jul 09, 2016 Laurent rated it really liked it
Geweldige cartoons over lezen, schrijven, schrijvers en de boekenwereld.
Roberta Frontini (Blogue FLAMES)
é giro, mas não extraordinário
Joana Almeida
Aug 30, 2015 Joana Almeida rated it really liked it
This book is such a mess. It is made by pieces that the author put together as a book. But being a book addicted, I enjoy the way it tells us the problems in the literary world, with lots of sarcasm. It made me laugh.
Elizabeth
painful and hilarious.
Iain
Sep 28, 2012 Iain rated it really liked it
Miscellaneous newspaper cartoons, mostly satirizing writers and other media luvvies. It's perhaps a bit incestuous at times—a Guardian cartoonist writing about Guardian types—but I like the way Simmonds experiments with the form, and it's interesting to see her gradually finding the voice she'd use in Tamara Drewe. I really enjoyed this collection.

Reading up on Simmonds, she's been around a lot longer than I realized; this collection is from 2003, but she started doing comics for the Guardian wa
Frances
Apr 28, 2010 Frances rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This has nice moments captured from 'Literary Life' but I was expecting funnier from the reviews, it's more like a nice 'ah yes' smile to yourself. The acknowledgement of the weaknesses and triviality of a group of people to which you want to or do belong.
I was also expecting more of a novel but most strips are only a page long, with reoccuring characters.
My favourite section was the last two stories which were more than a couple of pages. The illustration and characterisation is almost spot on
I
Dec 26, 2013 I rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I used to read these in the Guardian, later I found that the series had been made into a book. Possibly the best humorous look at writers, publishers, and the world of literature ever captured in illustration. Also, it's wickedly funny.

[http://books.guardian.co.uk/posysimmo...]
Eugenie
Jan 07, 2016 Eugenie rated it really liked it
Recueil des chroniques de Posy Simmonds dans le Guardian, ces petites planches humoristiques sur la vie littéraire (celles des auteurs, des libraires, de éditeurs, des lecteurs, etc.) charment par leur humour observateur, parfois bienveillant, parfois caustique. Une lecture très agréable et divertissante et un dessin sensible.
Fabrice Conchon
Nov 29, 2015 Fabrice Conchon rated it really liked it
Funny, witty graphic novel about a type of life I am not very familiar with : the literary life, i.e. the life of bookshop people, literary agents, editors, shy writers, writers with big egos, even readers.

An interesting serie of sketches very well drawn, a great book.
Amrita
Highly amusing satire comprising witty snapshots on all aspects and actors engaged in a "Literary Life" -From writers to publishers to readers as well as Bookstore owners. A must read for all readers and writers of books :)
scarlettraces
Mar 09, 2009 scarlettraces rated it it was amazing
i think posy simmonds is my new hero. i always liked her illustrations - kind of like skewed thelwell - but i hadn't read any of her writing. put the two together and she's social dynamite.

also makes me even more glad i do not make my living in publishing.
Annette
Apr 19, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-this
Just fabulous!! My favourite strip was Wordsworth's daffodils - if you've read this, you'll know what I talking about!
Yasmin
Jul 10, 2014 Yasmin added it
Maybe it's because of Black Books, but I feel as if I've heard most of these jokes a billion times. But at least the art is nice.
Penny
Jan 21, 2014 Penny rated it really liked it
This book makes me laugh and makes me so glad I am not a writer or small bookstore owner! Wonderful to read on a cold winter's day with a warm cup of tea.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Bianca
Bianca rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
AMR
AMR rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Celia
Celia rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Sailor Supergirl
Sailor Supergirl rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Sadie
Sadie rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Martin Williams
Martin Williams rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Rebecca Evans
Rebecca Evans rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Poppyflower
Poppyflower rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2008
Vivekanand Sridhar
Vivekanand Sridhar rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Nose in a book (Kate)
Nose in a book (Kate) rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Bryony Sykes
Bryony Sykes rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Jodie-Marie
Jodie-Marie rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Lou
Lou rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Quartier lointain
  • American Splendor Presents: Bob and Harv's Comics
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel: The Early Works of Dr. Seuss, Vol. 1
  • The Unclothed Man in the 35th Century A.D.
  • Big Fat Little Lit
  • Clyde Fans, Book 1
  • Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection
  • Pourvu que les bouddhistes se trompent (Blast #4)
  • We Won't See Auschwitz
  • Come prima
  • Monologues for Calculating the Density of Black Holes
  • Nemi - Vol. 2 (Nemi, #2)
  • That Salty Air
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • The House that Groaned
  • Fallen Words
  • Wet Moon Volume 3: Further Realms of Fright
  • The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings (The Dark Horse Book of..., #1)