Literary Life

Literary Life

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  7 reviews
As serialized in the Guardian newspaper, this is a hilarious collection of “Literary Life” cartoons lampooning the absurdities of the aspiring metropolitan middle class, plus a selection of short stories, by the author of Gemma Bovary.
Published October 23rd 2003 by Jonathan Cape (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Life

Elizabeth
painful and hilarious.
Iain
Miscellaneous newspaper cartoons, mostly satirizing writers and other media luvvies. It's perhaps a bit incestuous at times—a Guardian cartoonist writing about Guardian types—but I like the way Simmonds experiments with the form, and it's interesting to see her gradually finding the voice she'd use in Tamara Drewe. I really enjoyed this collection.

Reading up on Simmonds, she's been around a lot longer than I realized; this collection is from 2003, but she started doing comics for the Guardian wa...more
Frances
This has nice moments captured from 'Literary Life' but I was expecting funnier from the reviews, it's more like a nice 'ah yes' smile to yourself. The acknowledgement of the weaknesses and triviality of a group of people to which you want to or do belong.
I was also expecting more of a novel but most strips are only a page long, with reoccuring characters.
My favourite section was the last two stories which were more than a couple of pages. The illustration and characterisation is almost spot on...more
Penny
This book makes me laugh and makes me so glad I am not a writer or small bookstore owner! Wonderful to read on a cold winter's day with a warm cup of tea.
City of Villages
I used to read these in the Guardian, later I found that the series had been made into a book. Possibly the best humorous look at writers, publishers, and the world of literature ever captured in illustration. Also, it's wickedly funny.

[http://books.guardian.co.uk/posysimmo...]
scarlettraces
i think posy simmonds is my new hero. i always liked her illustrations - kind of like skewed thelwell - but i hadn't read any of her writing. put the two together and she's social dynamite.

also makes me even more glad i do not make my living in publishing.
Yasmin
Jul 10, 2014 Yasmin added it
Maybe it's because of Black Books, but I feel as if I've heard most of these jokes a billion times. But at least the art is nice.
Ed
Ed added it
Sep 20, 2014
Suzanne Arcand
Suzanne Arcand marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Justin Sandoval
Justin Sandoval marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Mariae
Mariae marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Rick
Rick added it
Jul 16, 2014
Béatrice
Béatrice marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Zenzele Ojore
Zenzele Ojore marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Nieves
Nieves marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Gretel
Gretel added it
Jun 29, 2014
Tracy Glover
Tracy Glover marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Si Hui
Si Hui marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Fátima López sevilla
Fátima López sevilla marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
David Schaafsma
David Schaafsma marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Andrés Santiago
Andrés Santiago marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014