Start by marking “The Day Christ Died” as Want to Read:
The Day Christ Died

The Day Christ Died

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  39 reviews

"This is a book about the most dramatic day in the history of the world, the day on which Jesus of Nazareth died. It opens at 6 P.M.—the beginning of the Hebrew day—with Jesus and ten of the apostles coming through the pass between the Mount of Olives and the Mount of Offense en route to Jerusalem and the Last Supper. It closes at 4 P.M. the following afternoon, when Jesus

Mass Market Paperback
Published by HarperPrism (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Christ Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Christ Died

K.D. Absolutely
The Gospels + Historical Facts + Jim Bishop's imagination + Jim Bishop's skillful writing = Very Good Book.

This simple equation summarizes how this book made me more reflective (and almost pious) during this Holy Week.

This book chronicles the last hours of Jesus' stay on earth. It starts with Jesus and his disciples' entry to Jerusalem, to the Last Supper, to his Passion and the taking down of His body from the cross. The writing is detailed and vivid with Bishop's imagination providing the add
Kathryn
As a confirmed Jew I had a strong belief in God. As a young adult I had spiritual grounding but no home. As I longed for God and examined my beliefs, I was given "The Day Christ Died" by Tim Bishop. This book, though a novel, was grounded in the Bible and provided a context for the life and death of Christ that made me realize that Christianity is not a departure from the God of Abraham, but the next step in our relationship with Him that brings Jews and gentiles into His presence. It also helpe ...more
Terri Lynn
Actually this book is mis-shelved. It should be under "Fiction" and not "non-fiction". I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers , ah hell, maybe I do. I get tired of tip-toeing around people who actually believe in ancient mythology and want me to pretend that they are not ignorant for doing so.

Sorry folks but I am an historian and I am here to tell you that there was NO historical Jesus. None, I don't care what Mama and the Preacher told you. I can show you (if you are up to a very long overse
Sam
I read this book during Lenten/Easter season 2012. A very insightful and illuminating book about the last day of Jesus' life on earth. The hour by hour account begins with the Last Supper where Judas leaves abruptly to betray his Lord. From there the drama elevates in the Garden of Gethsemane (The Olive Press), where Jesus feels the pressure of the ordeal and pain that is awaiting him. He cries out to God with anguish and distress. The accounts of the high priests and the Roman occupation is als ...more
Rossrn Nunamaker
This books pulls together the story of Jesus' final day on earth as a man from all parts of the Bible as well as from scholarly text known then (it was written in the late 1950s). In doing so, the reader is given a chronological and coherent story with background for better understanding of the times. The latter part of which helped quite a bit in understanding some of the context.

The author specifically notes upfront that he is not going to notate sources throughout as he felt it would pull the
Tracy
I read this book when I was in high school. It helped me to understand more clearly what Jesus did for me. What pain he must have felt on that cross? I have kept the book all of these years which tells you how good I found it to be.
Clay Davis
The best book about the time, place and events in history
Greg
This is an interesting book. It is a novel, but it attempts rigorous historical accuracy. Bishop essentially gets the message correct, and even spaces lines that are sometimes beautiful. “To understand one’s smallness was, in itself, insufficient. One had to practice humility, preferably publicly, as he had done.” (40) Additionally, Bishop adds what is a reasonable reflection of Jesus’s feelings at times throughout the book.“Jesus stood silent. It must have seemed ironic, even to him, to see tha ...more
Eric
Written by Jim Bishop, author of The Day Christ Was Born and The Day Lincoln Was Shot, it is an interesting but at times boring account based on the prevalent scholarship in the 1950s. I'm not enough of an expert on Biblical archaeology to judge the book's credibility or truthfulness, but I didn't read the book to get a history lesson.

I bought this at a used bookstore about a year and a half ago because it was cheap and looked interesting. As a life-long Christian, I'm familiar with the Passion
Clay Leonard
I appreciated Bishop's quality of research very much. His writing is easy enough to read, and his descriptions serve their purpose well - they give you a sense of presence in the narrative. The most frustrating aspect of the book for me was Bishop's Catholic bias. In some places it was tolerable, even though I disagreed with him. In other sections he was so forceful about it that it was downright obnoxious.
Andrew Scholes
It was interesting to read of the various history pertaining to the society at that time. He was reasonably accurate when it came to writing about what scripture also discusses. I did have some issue with some of the stances he took although I later found out that he took some Catholic positions (Mary had no other children).
Mary Ann
This is a book I have tried to read for the past three Lents. It requires much attention and is a very slow read since there is so much detail. Luckily, this Lent I have found the needed time required for reading the book. It is very interesting and quite enlightening. The book is separated into the last 24 hours of Christ's life with what was probably going on during that hour based on the research of the author. It also contains sections on the culture of the Jewish people of that time, Jesus' ...more
Lorna Stremcha
A recap of Jesus's last days on earth. It is a story of betrayal and the crucifixion. It was okay. The book mainly just tells about HIS days and not about his life.
Judy
This is a book I recommend for anyone interested in Jesus read. A great read anytime but especially now during Lent
David Russell
A classic rendition of the Easter story. Bishop goes into great detail to describe the culture and customs of first century Jerusalem and its Roman conquerors. Bishop is a journalist rather than a theologian and places emphasis on the everyday life of normal people. It is an interesting perspective on a story that can never be told too many times.
David
There was a time in my life when I read this book every Easter. As Jim Bishop's books go, this one is not excessively long, it is faithful to the hour-by-hour format he uses so well in his books about the Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations, and he includes chapters that give the reader a better understanding of the Holy Land of that time.
Alex
Great book. I love the historical backgrounds that it takes you through. One cannot read and really understand an event without understanding it's time or era. The societies of Provincial Rome, Judea, and Jewish religious practice all played their part in such a profound event in human history.

Well written and informative!
Darlene Ferland
Anyone who is interested in the hours leading to Christ's crucifixion will find this book riveting. This is the second time I have read Mr. Bishop's book during Lent and my stay in the hospital. How inconsequential my problems are in view of what Christ endured for all of us.
Julie
This book is a intense retelling of the last day of Christ, beginning at 6pm the day before the crucifixtion and ending at 4pm the day of the crucifixtion. The detail and intensity with which this is written was so impactful I would spend days or weeks between each chapter.
Yeshua
Despite the controversy surrounding this book and the 1980 movie (of the same title), Mr Bishop expresses a sincere faith in Jesus Christ, as the Messiah.

He in no way, violates Holy Writ; but takes the reader through a 'plausible' rendering of Christs' last hours.
Klaudia
I remember having this read to me in Sunday School back in the 70's. Picked it up at some used book store and re-read it in my forties. Still powerful. Such an incredible snapshot of that time and made it easier for me to understand biblical writing. Wonderful book.
Joann
This is an excellent book that brings you through,hour by hour, the time leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It is very moving to read during Lent. Each year, I re-read parts of this book on Holy Thursday as part of my devotion during Adoration.
Lindsay P
Really interesting book that paints a good picture of what life was probably really like back then. I haven't read it in a long time, but it's one of those books I keep because I'd really like to revisit it, probably over and over.
rebecca
this is part of my lenten reading...when I get to it.I like the hour by hour format...conducive to bite size reading and meditation. I try to read each year at this time....do not think I have ever finished it, tho.
Karen
Bishop's book is now somewhat outdated historically and archeologically, but it's still a great read to get the feel for the actual events of Holy Week. I try to read large portions of it each year on Good Friday.
Tressa
This is a wonderfully detailed hour-by-hour account of the day Jesus died. This book details the last hours of his life and suffering, and includes some interesting history about the culture at the time of his life.

K.e. French
And emotional, yet intriguing read. The book was rather compelling and the research seemingly done well at the time. Jim, did a great job and it's probably one of my favorite books about the Christ.
Susan
Historical rendition detailing the background of the story, telling about the culture and leaders of the day, and detailing all the characters in the story. Very interesting read.
Tracy
An excellent addition to daily Lenten devotions. Incredibly detailed and descriptive narrative of the day Christ died, but the format allows for a little bit of reading each day.
Rob
There was too much filling in of the blanks and not enough factual evidence. In spite of this, however, he does a decent job of helping you to relive the day Christ died
  • From Christ to Pre-Reformation: The Rise and Growth of the Church in Its Cultural, Intellectual, and Political Context (Church History #1)
  • Living Above the Level of Mediocrity
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls
  • Descartes's Secret Notebook: A True Tale of Mathematics, Mysticism, and the Quest to Understand the Universe
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told
  • Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court
  • The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church, and the World (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • Pontius Pilate
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • The Uneasy Conscience of Modern Fundamentalism
  • Introduction to Biblical Hermeneutics: The Search for Meaning
  • The Treasury of David, Volmes #1-3(The Treasury of David #1-3)
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 2
  • The Seven Last Words
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
  • The Gospel According to the Apostles: The Role of Works in the Life of Faith
  • Scientific Creationism
  • Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship v. 1 (Face to Face: Intimate Worship)
James Alonzo "Jim" Bishop (November 21, 1907 – July 26, 1987) was an American journalist and author.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, he dropped out of school after eighth grade. In 1923, he studied typing, shorthand and bookkeeping, and in 1929 began work as a copy boy at the New York Daily News. In 1930, he got a job as a cub reporter at New York Daily Mirror, where he worked until 1943, when he
More about Jim Bishop...
The Day Lincoln Was Shot The Day Kennedy Was Shot The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died The Day Christ Was Born: The True Account of the First 24 Hours of Jesus's Life FDR's Last Year

“Believe me, all of you, when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if not, at least believe on the strength of what I am doing.” 0 likes
“Again, you have heard it was said of old: ‘Do not swear falsely, but you must redeem your promises made under oath to the Lord.’ I, on the contrary, declare to you: do not swear at all, whether by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King; nor should you swear by your own head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black. Let your speech be ‘yes,’ when you mean yes, and ‘no,’ when you mean no. Whatever is in excess of these expressions is due to the evil in the world.” 0 likes