Start by marking “The Magic Hat Of Mortimer Wintergreen” as Want to Read:
The Magic Hat Of Mortimer Wintergreen

The Magic Hat Of Mortimer Wintergreen

In 1893, thirteen-year-old Joshua and his eleven-year-old sister, Amy, travel from South Dakota to New York City with the help of the mysterious Mortimer Wintergreen and his unpredictable magic hat.
Published March 1st 1988 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Hat Of Mortimer Wintergreen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Hat Of Mortimer Wintergreen

L.kerry Miller
Jun 29, 2014 L.kerry Miller rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favorite books !
Jul 02, 2014 Abby rated it liked it
Fun little story. Very Roald Dahl-ish.
After their parents were killed in a Sioux attack, Amy and Joshua have been living with their evil Aunt Vootch. Set in 1890s South Dakota, Amy and Joshua are constantly working to the bone and getting punished by their card-obsessed aunt. When traveling magician/peddler, Mortimer Wintergreen, rolls through town, the two escape and hitch a ride with him. With the help of the Mortimer's temperamental magic hat, the siblings and their friend head to New York to find Amy’s and Joshua’s grandparents ...more
Aug 23, 2015 Gina rated it it was ok
I thought that I was going to like this book a lot more than I did. I guess if I'd read it as a younger child, I'd have liked it a lot more, but all of Mortimer's silliness just irritated me. It was like he used the wrong word the entire book" to complete the particular phrases that he was using, and it got to be a bit too much.
I also thought that even though Joshua was older than Amy that Amy was the more mature of the characters.
Edwin Soto
Aug 17, 2014 Edwin Soto rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most fantastic books I've read as a kid. I just read it over a two week period for my 10 year old and a 6 year old and it blew their minds. I hadn't read it in 25 years and all I remembered was it was magical (sic) and wonderful.

It surely took me to a wonderful place of adventure. I almost wept when it was over.
Kay Irao
Jun 19, 2015 Kay Irao rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my favorite childhood books!
Nina Mielke
Jun 29, 2008 Nina Mielke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nach den ersten Seiten dieses Buches wollte ich es schon wieder weglegen. ich habe aber weiter gelesen und es war die richtige Entscheidung.
Die Geschichte der beiden Kinder, die sich mit Mr. Mortimer auf die Reise begeben ist so fantasievoll und voller Abenetuer, dass man das Buch gar nicht wieder weglegen möchte.
Mar 10, 2013 Kati rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Johnny Depp is making into a movie. This will be great. Part Alice, part Charlie, part James(and his peach) and who knows what else.

Not a great adult read, but kids that don't scare easy would love it!
Feb 16, 2013 PorshaJo rated it really liked it
Such a cute story for children. Very entertaining and a little story that I can quickly tell to children. The characters were wonderful. Looking forward to the big screen version of this book.
Apr 02, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time in third grade and I still love it! It's a fun tale of a brother and sister traveling to find their parents with the help of a magician and his magic hat!
Bridget Bowen
Jan 30, 2011 Bridget Bowen rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully imaginative story, with suprisingly complex characters for such a quick, fun read. I checked this book out of my elementary school library at least a dozen times.
Cheryl added it
Oct 12, 2016
Cheryl added it
Sep 13, 2016
Em rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Tanya Butt
Tanya Butt rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Giovonni E
Giovonni E marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Lily marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Colin Thomson
Colin Thomson is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Emily L
Emily L rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Justin shaw
Justin shaw marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Higgy rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Summer added it
Sep 18, 2015
Luigi rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Audra rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Christine Weerasekere
Christine Weerasekere is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015