Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What can you do with the Raspberry Pi, a $35 computer the size of a credit card? All sorts of things! If you're learning how to program, or looking to build new electronic projects, this hands-on guide will show you just how valuable this flexible little platform can be.

This book takes you step-by-step through many fun and educational possibilities. Take advantage of sever...more
Published December 1st 2012 by Maker Media, Inc (first published November 22nd 2012)

Dave Peticolas
A short but pretty decent introduction to the Raspberry Pi. The book is best suited for complete beginners, but there are still some helpful tips for those with plenty of software experience. I got a free Raspberry Pi at both PyCon and the Erlang Factory.

I also attended a great workshop run by Omer Kilic of Embedded Erlang that included a free expansion board with LEDs, buttons, switches, and a temperature sensor. They are about to release an Erlang-based embedded development environment.
Jeanne Boyarsky
O'Reilly's “Getting Started with Raspberry Pi” is a really great book. I don't know where to start so here's a list of things I liked.

From Make:Projects which is very practical
Starts out strong – each part of the Pi and what you need to use it
Good tips – how to connect via wifi and without internet
Nice troubleshooting section
Practical examples from a “hello world with leds” program to building a web-lamp
A whole chapter on webcams. [This is the project we wanted it for]
Coverage of basic Linux, Py...more
Toby
A good basic primer to get you acquainted with RPi. A fair amount of the book is setting up and getting started, which is good. There is considerable space dedicated to acquainting you with Linux if you have never used it.

All in all, a great primer, but if you really want to get a project done, you will need additional resources. If you know a lot about linux, networking etc, you will be able to skim the book for the good bits.
Skyler Spaeth
This was a great book, and had a lot of cool projects. My favorite was the weblamp, which allows me to control a lamp from my local network.
Arvid
Quick introduction to the Pi. If you can code you can skip explanations of single code lines but if not you aren't lost.
Bethany
Easy to read, easy to follow instructions on the most useful tasks of setting up and using a Raspberry Pi. I deducted one star because of the frequent editorial slip ups- it would have been good if those had been combed out before the publication of the book, especially since there are large examples of code to be copied, and typos in code are hard to detect. O'reilly has a confirm errata page here: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/errata...
Matt Heavner
As I reflect, this was a surprisingly good "getting started" book -- a good mix of depth and breadth. Actually a great python and Linux intro as well as hardware, installation, options, etc.! Not the final word at all, but just right for a "getting started."
Kyle
A good introduction to some cool projects for the Pi. Well written, engaging and easy examples. Also a good introduction to the maker culture in general.
Patrick
Great introduction. My only "downside" is that unless the reader has some very specific hardware, they have to skip chapters.

Still a great intro.
Richard
This book can safely be called "concise", but it's a good intro to the Pi and contains a decent amount of information for its size.
Dan Deng
Nice, concise introduction to the basic features of the RPi. Recommended first read about the platform.
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
David Spanne
David Spanne marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Osvaldo Santana
Osvaldo Santana marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Bill H
Bill H is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
Greg Jones
Greg Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Daniel Johnson
Daniel Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Shaun
Shaun marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Getting Started with BeagleBone: Linux-Powered Electronic Projects With Python and JavaScript Getting Started with Intel Galileo Getting Started with Raspberry Pi: Electronic Projects with the Low-Cost Pocket-Sized Computer The Royal Book of Lists: An Irreverent Romp through British Royal History Beaglebone Fur Einsteiger

“If it helps, you can think of using the command line as playing a text adventure game, but with the files and the filesystem in place of Grues and mazes of twisty passages. If that metaphor doesn’t help you, don’t worry;” 0 likes