Start by marking “Getting Started with Raspberry Pi” as Want to Read:
Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

What can you do with the Raspberry Pi, a $35 computer the size of a credit card? All sorts of things! If you're learning how to program, or looking to build new electronic projects, this hands-on guide will show you just how valuable this flexible little platform can be.

This book takes you step-by-step through many fun and educational possibilities. Take advantage of sever
Published December 1st 2012 by Maker Media, Inc (first published November 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Raspberry Pi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Raspberry Pi

Jeanne Boyarsky
Feb 07, 2013 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
O'Reilly's “Getting Started with Raspberry Pi” is a really great book. I don't know where to start so here's a list of things I liked.

From Make:Projects which is very practical
Starts out strong – each part of the Pi and what you need to use it
Good tips – how to connect via wifi and without internet
Nice troubleshooting section
Practical examples from a “hello world with leds” program to building a web-lamp
A whole chapter on webcams. [This is the project we wanted it for]
Coverage of basic Linux, Py
Matt Heavner
Apr 10, 2013 Matt Heavner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I reflect, this was a surprisingly good "getting started" book -- a good mix of depth and breadth. Actually a great python and Linux intro as well as hardware, installation, options, etc.! Not the final word at all, but just right for a "getting started."
Slackorama
Jan 11, 2017 Slackorama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small book that packs a good deal of information.

It's aimed at the total beginner and covers Raspberry Pi, Linux, Python, C and some GPIO. None of the chapters are too in depth so if you are familiar with the topic, there's not anything new there for you.
Alistair Young
Jan 09, 2017 Alistair Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer/starter guide, mostly aimed at beginners but useful for those with experience, too, in exposing those specific areas worth digging into.
Red Forman
This book does exactly as advertised, it gets you going with the Raspberry Pi and recommends books to go from there on every topic.
Dave Peticolas
A short but pretty decent introduction to the Raspberry Pi. The book is best suited for complete beginners, but there are still some helpful tips for those with plenty of software experience. I got a free Raspberry Pi at both PyCon and the Erlang Factory.

I also attended a great workshop run by Omer Kilic of Embedded Erlang that included a free expansion board with LEDs, buttons, switches, and a temperature sensor. They are about to release an Erlang-based embedded development environment.
Joseph II
Sep 03, 2015 Joseph II rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to Raspberry Pi. A little bit cheaper than the "Rasp Pi" magazines you can get at the bookstore, but just as informative.

The Make: series is very good about telling you what you need to do to "get started." There's not a lot of fluff, or distractions for novices.

Only con for this book: since Rasp Pi has changed in the last few years, I believe it has gone through two or three editions quickly. Unknown if the information on edition 1 has gone irrelevant, or if its just minor t
Gabe Poon
May 25, 2015 Gabe Poon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful book describing the setup process and basic applications for the Raspberry Pi. It also includes basic programming, such as Python, and even has a list of recommended reading for going further. It teaches you which peripherals to use for the Pi and how to attach them. If I had one complaint, it would be that unless you have those very specific peripherals, you will have to skip some projects. That aside, it is a great beginner's book.
Bethany
Easy to read, easy to follow instructions on the most useful tasks of setting up and using a Raspberry Pi. I deducted one star because of the frequent editorial slip ups- it would have been good if those had been combed out before the publication of the book, especially since there are large examples of code to be copied, and typos in code are hard to detect. O'reilly has a confirm errata page here: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/errata...
Toby
Aug 30, 2016 Toby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: making
A good basic primer to get you acquainted with RPi. A fair amount of the book is setting up and getting started, which is good. There is considerable space dedicated to acquainting you with Linux if you have never used it.

All in all, a great primer, but if you really want to get a project done, you will need additional resources. If you know a lot about linux, networking etc, you will be able to skim the book for the good bits.
David
Jun 21, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all the "Make" books I've read, they are best used with the actual hardware. I read this book as an intro to the raspberry pi - before acquiring any hardware. It was useful, though I skimmed the code examples since I had nothing to try them on. I'm looking forward to going through it again with hardware.
Skyler Spaeth
May 20, 2014 Skyler Spaeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, and had a lot of cool projects. My favorite was the weblamp, which allows me to control a lamp from my local network.
Yogesh Pandey
Jan 03, 2016 Yogesh Pandey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a good overview of the different things you can do with the Pi. Most importantly very inexpensive book.
Manuel Antão
Jun 08, 2016 Manuel Antão rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Good introduction to the Pi, but it lacks some unity.

I'll try most of the examples in the book, namely the web server bits and see what comes out of it.
Richard
This book can safely be called "concise", but it's a good intro to the Pi and contains a decent amount of information for its size.
Dan Deng
Nice, concise introduction to the basic features of the RPi. Recommended first read about the platform.
Patrick
Mar 28, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-hard-copy
Great introduction. My only "downside" is that unless the reader has some very specific hardware, they have to skip chapters.

Still a great intro.
Kyle
May 04, 2013 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to some cool projects for the Pi. Well written, engaging and easy examples. Also a good introduction to the maker culture in general.
Arvid
Jun 21, 2014 Arvid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick introduction to the Pi. If you can code you can skip explanations of single code lines but if not you aren't lost.
Kevin Lang
Mar 02, 2015 Kevin Lang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good starter book. You will want something more in depth to get into the really cool stuff. But a very good start in this book!
Ellena Lawrence
Ellena Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Ali Najeh
Ali Najeh rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Ilya Lovkov
Ilya Lovkov rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Upom
Upom rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Carmelo Montalbano
Carmelo Montalbano rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Imron Shababpsu
Imron Shababpsu rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Matt Killeen
Matt Killeen rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Bryan Ma
Bryan Ma rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Raspberry Pi User Guide
  • Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python
  • Beginning Arduino
  • Arduino Workshop: A Hands-On Introduction with 65 Projects
  • Cloud Architecture Patterns: Using Microsoft Azure
  • Python Cookbook
  • Functional Programming for Java Developers: Tools for Better Concurrency, Abstraction, and Agility
  • Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby: Control Your Computer, Simplify Your Life
  • Getting Started with Arduino
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • Code Simplicity: The Fundamentals of Software
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Practical Electronics for Inventors
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • Head First C
  • Version Control with Git
  • Programming in Objective C

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“If it helps, you can think of using the command line as playing a text adventure game, but with the files and the filesystem in place of Grues and mazes of twisty passages. If that metaphor doesn’t help you, don’t worry;” 0 likes