Start by marking “The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1

The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1 (The Sandman Omnibus #1)

4.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,082 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
A New York Times Bestseller!

The Sandman is the universally lauded masterwork following Morpheus, Lord of the Dreaming--a vast hallucinatory landscape housing all the dreams of any and everyone who's ever existed. Regardless of cultures or historical eras, all dreamers visit Morpheus' realm--be they gods, demons, muses, mythical creatures, or simply humans who teach Morpheu
Hardcover, Omnibus, 1040 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Vertigo (first published August 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1

Dan Schwent
Once upon a time, a few years before the turn of the century, I decided I was too cool for super hero comics and read a lot of darker, mature readers only type of stuff. The Sandman was at the front of the pack for a long time. My mom unexpectedly bought me this big honkin' omnibus for Christmas so I've busted it into chunks for reviewing purposes.

Preludes and Nocturnes: After decades of imprisonment at the hands of a group of magicians, Dream escapes and sets about reclaiming what is his...

My n
Mark Lawrence
Jan 13, 2014 Mark Lawrence rated it it was amazing
I read most of the Sandman story as separate graphic novels bought off ebay about 10 years ago.

This Christmas I bought myself the bound 'mega-volume' a very high class piece of bookage that contains the 1st 37 issues of the comic which is half of the 12(?) graphic novels.

Now the thing is that, yes, at the bottom of it all these are comics bound together into a book that's six inches thick... but excellent writing can show up in many media and Neil Gaiman is an excellent writer.

The story we're g
Antonomasia
Jan 29, 2017 Antonomasia rated it it was amazing
5 stars of the sort that are built up by layer upon layer upon layer of playful postmodernism whose grandeur and heft don't fully coalesce in the mind until round about p.500 of 1000.
A lot of the content would have been 4 stars if it had been in smaller chunks. As a whole - or half of a whole - it becomes very impressive. A full Big Book experience, that started to feel like reading a great postmodern novel, but also like watching a really fun, effortless film.

Conversation I was reminded of (1
Rikke
Apr 17, 2015 Rikke rated it really liked it
I am not a reader of comic books or graphic novels. Aside from an early infatuation with Disney's comic books and the glossed pages of the W.I.T.C.H.-magazines, I've never cared for colorful pictures with eventful stories. Comics have always puzzled me, and I have always failed to see their charm. Until now.

Of course it would be Neil Gaiman who changed my opinion, as he always seems to do. These past two years I have been devouring his work; his short stories, epic novels, children's books and s
Cheese
Sep 23, 2014 Cheese rated it really liked it
So I've finally read vol.1 of the famous Sandman! I would say this book has had as much hype surrounding it as the Watchmen did and it was no let down.

So the story starts of with some men performing witchcraft and they wish to trap Death, so that they may live forever, instead they trap deaths' older brother 'Dream' or his real name Morpheus. He is imprisoned on the mortal plane for over 80 years and in that time he does not speak to them.

When he is eventually released he goes about repairing
Christopher
Aug 12, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Don't need to read the Omnibus. I was there for the complete original series. Thank goodness DC Comics is bringing the series back to relaunch the all new Vertigo
I. Merey
Oct 24, 2016 I. Merey rated it it was amazing
I'll get the bad shit out of the way first: this book is ENORMOUS. >__<
It is as hard to transport (or even hold up for any extended period of time) as it is beautiful to look at. I found myself often wishing as I went through that I had a permanent, safe and clean surface I could leave it on and come back to it always, as it is, I am amazed and delighted that the book survived my audience with no chicken nugget splotches or barbecue stains.

That I had to read it in this glorious, but extrem
Andy Tischaefer
Sep 11, 2016 Andy Tischaefer rated it really liked it
Wonderful.
Adam Bogert
Jul 23, 2015 Adam Bogert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I think the fact that I own the omnibuses of this series pretty much covers what I think of the series, no?
Juan Carlos
Aug 07, 2013 Juan Carlos rated it it was amazing
I love Sandman!!!
Yarrow
Dec 17, 2014 Yarrow rated it it was amazing
This is clearly the foundation of Gaiman's reputation. I have read many of his novels, and though they were all well-written and enjoyable, they were also all very lightweight (and YES i'm including American Gods and Good Omens in that unpopular but honest assessment!), often to the point of being emotionally flimsy, and i have never understood why people rave about him so much. unless they just wanted 100% pure feel-good brain-candy with nice sentence structure and imagery, and little content. ...more
dusty.rhodes
Oct 27, 2015 dusty.rhodes rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic. Nearly incomprehensible that I had never read any Sandman before, but then again... I was having trouble sleeping for a couple weeks and this was a perfect companion.

These are those magic pages which cause hesitation over every turn... do I rush forward and read the next one now now now? Or do I languish and let this first pass through these stories last longer?

I love myths and stories of explanation and level-shifting perspectives. I love hearing of echoes of gods and storie
Mikey Connor
May 03, 2015 Mikey Connor rated it it was amazing
The first 7 issues set the story and, while they were decent comics, I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into. However after reading issue 8 when you first meet the character death I was finally hooked. This series has some best stories I've ever read and I'm excited to crack open the second volume. It's dark and philosophic nature coupled with bursts of humor and the unexpected and outrageous made me unable to stop reading even when I knew I had things I should be doing.
Maria  D
Nov 10, 2013 Maria D rated it it was amazing
It was absolutely fantastic to get all the volumes in the same book and read them one after another. Two weeks of pure Sandman - one of the best birthday presents I ever had. Definitely recommended if you're a fan and you like heavy hardcover books.
Pratiksha Haldar
Amazing Art work and such great story lines.. Surely not meant for kids. My first graphic novel and I do not regret spending a single buck on this classic!
Seth Steele
Oct 27, 2015 Seth Steele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't read many comics, (more so in high school) but I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman. Spending $90 on this was quite a gamble, but well worth the money in the long run.
May 06, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016 Geert rated it really liked it
mesmerizing
Neil Coulter
Oct 04, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
All right, after years of hearing about the greatness of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, I decided to read through it. When I discovered that a public library in my network actually owns the Omnibus edition, I thought that would be a good way to get to know the series. I put in a request to pick it up at my local library (which technically shouldn't have worked, since the Omnibus is catalogued as "non-circulating"), and read through one story at a time over the past few weeks.

For me, The Sandman
Lucian Poll
Jan 02, 2017 Lucian Poll rated it really liked it
Covers Sandman issues 1 to 37 and the Sandman Special #1. It took a few attempts to get through this and Volume 2 but overall The Sandman is worth a read. The cast of characters is huge and varied, and Gaiman's command of them all is very impressive. The writing is equally as varied, seemingly dipping its toes into as many story styles as possible. Sometimes this is bravura stuff, but at others you feel the series is simply wandering off on a tangent for the sake of having something to do. When ...more
Matt
Jan 03, 2017 Matt rated it it was amazing
I have heard raves about Sandman as long as I've been reading comics, but the amount of material was intimidating. With this omnibus edition and a holiday week to enjoy it, I thrilled to Neil Gaiman's complex opus. Morpheus, the eternal Lord of the Dreaming, interacts with humanity throughout these pages, sometimes just to observe, sometimes to warn or intervene. He dances through the pages of myths across cultures and meets a dazzling cast of mortals and supernatural creatures. The book defies ...more
Benjamin
May 06, 2014 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
This is truly an amazing work. This damnable keyboard ate my review, but I will be concise. First, Neil Gaiman's work in prose has never equaled his work in comics for weight, skill, and resonance; I've read enough to know that his print career is to some extent his dining out on his work from "Sandman" - and what a work it has proven to be. There was nothing quite like this when it began - and to some degree, there's been nothing like it since. I suppose some might suggest "Cerebus," but that w ...more
Nathan
Apr 22, 2014 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This review consists of two parts: the actual story, content and plot of this magnificent epic and the the presentation of it. I will begin with the presentation.

For the Omnibus I cannot think of a more elegant and beautifully bound comic than this. The leather bound omnibus containts the first 5 volumes of The Sandman, and is simply gorgeous. The pages have a black leaf rather than gold which I think is extremely suitable given the content of this book. It Is elegantly bound and extremely pleas
Jan 25, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok
I will start off this review knowing that it's going to be sacrilegious, as the rating I'm giving this is more of a personal one than an overall general acknowledgement.

I do not like Neil Gaiman. There, I've said it. I've read his works from "Coraline" to "Good Omens" to "Stardust"... and, I do not like Neil Gaiman. Somewhere in my brain, Neil Gaiman has been lumped in with and morphed into the literary version of Tim Burton... and, I do not like Tim Burton. If I haven't yet lost all of my nerd
Druin
Apr 16, 2016 Druin rated it really liked it
It's an impressive story, and a nicely done collection. Neil Gaiman puts on a show with his writings that features mythologies great and small in roles and aspects I never would have expected. I enjoyed it, but Gaiman's stories always feel like just scratching enough of the surface elements that it leaves me wanting.

It's a modern fantasy and mythology that hooks and pulls along for the ride; it's very well written, researched, and lovingly constructed with respect to the various material it pain
Kayle
Nov 02, 2015 Kayle rated it it was amazing
The Sandman series is one of the most intricately woven tales in comics that I've ever read. Although I have only a passing familiarity with the Marvel Superhero world, there are many nods to the people and places within it. It is not only a beautiful story within itself, but also a subtle show of appreciation to comics as a genre entirely. Gaiman is a masterful story teller and that is exhibited once again here, with Morpheus, Lord of Dreams. The character development is rich and endlessly inte ...more
Dan
Dec 07, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing
There's a reason "comic books" became "graphic novels." Three people changed the face of the comic industry in the 1980's: Frank Miller, Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman. This volume is a beautifully bound text holding half of the celebrated Sandman series. The ONLY downfall I could find with it is that it's cumbersome to read - 8 pounds is pretty hefty for a "funny book" (as my mother used to call them). Otherwise: perfection.
bizarre dreams 1 10 Aug 10, 2013 05:00AM
bizarre dreams 1 2 Aug 10, 2013 04:58AM
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4
  • Under Presure (W.I.T.C.H. Graphic Novels, #7)
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • The Graveyard Book Volume 2
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)
  • Skammerens datter 3+4 (Skammerserien, #3-4)
  • Saga #13
  • Age of Shiva
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5

The Sandman Omnibus (2 books)
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2