Start by marking “The Gettin' Place” as Want to Read:
The Gettin' Place

The Gettin' Place

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the third novel by the author of Blacker Than a Thousand Midnights, the Thompson clan tries to deal with the chaos after their family patriarch finds the burning bodies of two white women on his property and is then accidentally gunned down by police. Tour.
Published June 27th 1996 by Hyperion (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Gettin' Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gettin' Place

Judith
The Gettin Place by Susan Straight sprawls out of a mystery with racial issues into a family saga that carries scars from the Tulsa race riots of 1921 into the Rodney King Riots of 1992. Beyond L.A., and beyond the small city of Rio Seco, in the countrified African American enclave of Treetown, the Thompson family owns land, works hard, grows fruit, fixes cars, and holds its own through a seven-year drought. Only Marcus, the youngest Thompson brother, who didn’t like to hunt or fight, did like t ...more
Judy
Jan 18, 2011 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone

The theme of Susan Straight's third novel is racial violence. In Treetown on the northern edge of Straight's fictional Rio Seco, the Thompson family lives in clannish isolation, running their car towing and repair business from within chain link fencing. As the LA riots break out after the acquittal of Rodney King's attackers, violence also breaks out in Rio Seco. The Thompsons are subjected to a string of incidents beginning on the night two white women burn to death in a car abandoned on thei
Nancyh
As I previously noted I was new to Straight when I read Between Heaven and Here earlier this year. Her writing is literary perfection and I will start another of her books soon.

My favorite part of her writing is how she sets each character in their time, how she seamlessly integrates their past into her description of what's happening at the time. In The Gettin Place, she added the harrowing element of the Tulsa and LA riots.

If you have not read Straight yet, please do!. Start with her latest bo
Curtis
Dec 05, 2011 Curtis is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
My step father recommended The Gettin Place to me and I'm having troble reading it just becuase I think its a big step for me in reading going from things like Percy Jackson to this. Also I'm finding it hard to translate the bobonics but I think I'm getting better.
Nora
This book would make a great mini series. The story is very complex and it is confusing trying to keep the people straight at first but it eventually becomes clear. Susan Straight is one of the best writers I've come across.
Wendy
Interesting. A freind lent this to me after a quick trip to Tulsa. Another one by Susan Straight about how people end up where they are. And where they are is Rio Seco, a fictional community modelled on Riverside, CA.
Ayelet Waldman
Susan Straight is such a pitch perfect writer. It's amazing to me how she manages to create perfect worlds in just a very few sentences.
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Lisa Adams
Lisa Adams marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sydnee
Sydnee marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jeannine
Jeannine marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Krystel
Krystel marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Susan Straight's newest novel is "Between Heaven and Here." It is the last in the Rio Seco Trilogy, which began with "A Million Nightingales" and "Take One Candle Light a Room." She has published eight novels, a novel for young readers and a children's book. She has also written essays and articles for numerous national publications, including The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Nation and
More about Susan Straight...
I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots A Million Nightingales Highwire Moon Take One Candle Light a Room Between Heaven and Here