Start by marking “Itinerary: An Intellectual Journey” as Want to Read:
Itinerary: An Intellectual Journey

Itinerary: An Intellectual Journey

Itinerary is somewhat autobiographical, for it is the story of the evolution of my political ideas. An intellectual biography but also a sentimental and even passionate one: what I thought and think about my time is inseparable from what I felt and feel. Itinerary is the story and description of a journey through time, from one point to another, from my youth to my present ...more
Published November 14th 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Itinerary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itinerary

paco
Itinerario consiste de dos partes: "La Espiral" sirve como poscripto al Laberinto de la soledad de Paz; "Explicaciones" incorpora entrevistas en las cuales Paz opina sobre varios temas de índole política y social. La mayor parte del libro está dedicada a trazar el itinerario personal y filosófico de su autor, desde su juventud como poeta y fellow traveler izquierdista, a su eventual desilusión con el proyecto sovieta y lo que denomina "las ideologías".

La obra tardía de Paz, como es representada
Emma
Octavio Paz’s Itinerary through space was varied: time in Spain (an educative time where he discovered Criticism), 10 years in the US, then post-war years in Paris, where he met the French giant writers of the time (Aragon, Eluard, Mauriac, Malraux, René Char and Sartre, to list a few), and finally some time in South East Asia as a diplomat.

So this short book is rich of his diversified experience, in areas of philosophy, literature and politics.

This led to what I would call a haunting questionne
Christopher Flynn
I'm reading this in Spanish - no facing page translation (a different edition from the one listed here, bought in a bookstore in Mexico, so maybe it doesn't sell elsewhere). It's interesting (I think) - personal essays about Paz's own experiences as an artist and politically involved person. I'm slogging through a lot of pages about fights between communists in the 1940s right now, and if I'm reading it right, Paz is more of a Trotskyite, but with definite religious and other less communistic ...more
Adam Sol
Oct 14, 2014 Adam Sol rated it liked it
Not necessarily the best place to start for new readers of Octavio Paz, but a very interesting story of an intellectual/political/artistic journey through the tumultuous 20th century. Particularly as an assertion of a persistent critical activism, a committed position of critique, Paz is an exemplary figure, and these essays demonstrate why.
Ángel
Sep 20, 2014 Ángel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lo que podría considerarse el definitivo recuento de la vida de Octavio Paz, no es más que una compilación de sus dichos --muchas veces contradictorios o falsos-- que ya había expresado en otros textos o entrevistas. Así, la real biografía de nuestro Nobel, está por escribirse todavía.
Noelia Granda carrasco
Itinerario es una fantástica reflexión no solo de la filosofía y política que ha marcado al escritor a lo largo de su vida sino también de las grandes cuestiones y las grandes preocupaciones del ser humano. Es un libro que te invita a pensar y que deja grandes frases marcadas.
Aaron Terrazas
Apr 30, 2011 Aaron Terrazas rated it it was amazing
I first read this book between my junior and senior years of high school in summer 2002. I have taken it with me wherever I move since then. I periodically reopen it and always find something new.
Kerry
Apr 24, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
This collection... intelligent, complex, poetic.
Jim
Sep 15, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are so involved in the particular chowder in which we are dog-paddling that we are unable to provide an accurate critique of what is happening to us. I have tried in my blogs to do so, but I must confess that I have my fingers on the scale and cannot always give good weight. That is when I turn to writers from Argentina, Europe, Russia, Asia, and Mexico who are able to see more clearly for the distance that separates us.

Octavio Paz's Itinerary is an intellectual odyssey of sorts, in which the
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2009
Seth Kalback
Seth Kalback rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
bridget
bridget rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Rubén
Rubén rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
The Other Lemon
The Other Lemon rated it it was ok
May 15, 2013
Kandee
Kandee rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
René Alan
René Alan rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Inorganicguitar
Inorganicguitar rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Maria Douli
Maria Douli rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Bernard Cox
Bernard Cox rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2015
Alberto
Alberto rated it it was ok
May 13, 2008
Knar
Knar rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Ishita
Ishita rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Joseph Delgado
Joseph Delgado rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Eduardo Caudillo
Eduardo Caudillo rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Fuzzy
Fuzzy rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Gil Jimenez
Gil Jimenez rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2008
dvd.tbg
dvd.tbg rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Octavio Paz Lozano was a Mexican writer, poet, and diplomat, and the winner of the 1982 Neustadt International Prize for Literature and the 1990 Nobel Prize for Literature ("for impassioned writing with wide horizons, characterized by sensuous intelligence and humanistic integrity.")
More about Octavio Paz...