Start by marking “Out of the Night That Covers Me” as Want to Read:
Out of the Night That Covers Me

Out of the Night That Covers Me

John McMillan was only eight years old when his mother died and he was ripped, without warning, from his sheltered world of books and gentility. Now on his aunt's run-down tenant farm in southern Alabama, abused by his alcoholic uncle, and completely bereft, John longs for escape--his only hope for survival. He's about to get his wish in a way no one could ever predict.... ...more
Published December 1st 2001 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Night That Covers Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Night That Covers Me

Margarita
Dec 12, 2010 Margarita rated it liked it
12-year old John McMillan III navigates smalltown Alabama after losing his parents. Indifferent or dangerous relatives are offset by a wise local “judge” and an array of other fascinating characters. In this book the wise have plenty of flaws too, as the Civil Rights movement gets underway. You’ll enjoy the complex ambience, and the way the characters talk to – and about - each other. I'm becoming a fan of Pat Cunningham Devoto. I'll have to read her other books now.
Some have compared this to To
Daisy Mathis
Jan 07, 2015 Daisy Mathis rated it it was amazing
Out of the Night That Covers Me by Pat Cunningham Devoto
Very impressive book from a little-known author. Thoughtful young boy growing up in Deep South of the 50's. Captured the feel of small towns, race relations, and Southern culture of that time. Felt like I was back there. Fully developed characters and cultural nuances. It struck me as deeply and as poignantly as To Kill a Mockingbird. Also liked her prequel My Last Days As Roy Rogers.
Danielle
Jan 14, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I read this back in the 90's it was a book my Grandmother had read cover to cover at least 20 times. I love historical time period fictions and this one was so perfectly writen that I felt swept away by the story.
Alicia
Dec 31, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
Loved this book! The travails of John and the adjustments he had to make to his expectations and reality resonated with me. I still remember my adjustment at the age of 13 when I got sent away from all I knew in Havana, to live at school in Philly...the day the world changed for me.
Kay Carman
Jan 31, 2016 Kay Carman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really powerful book! A companion book to My Last Days as Roy Rogers, Devoto takes a minor character from that story, Tab's next door neighbor, John, and tells us what happens to him after his mother died and he's taken away by his aunt.

John is taken to his uncle's tenant farm in the heart of the Alabama Black Belt. He's thrust into a life totally different than that he's known - working long hours in the sun, hoeing cotton, and being beaten by his violent tempered, alcoholic uncle. Hi
John
Feb 08, 2016 John rated it really liked it
One of my biggest measures on book likability is how much I don't want to put it down. This book, by that measure, rates highly. It's basically a look at the Jim Crow South of the 50s through the lens of the 8 year old main character. A range of emotions derive from reading this book - not really including humor - and some are rough and frustrating but not unknown to the time and place. This was a good read. I gave it 4 stars.
tyra_ Banks
Dec 11, 2010 tyra_ Banks rated it liked it
I thought this book was so boring when I first start reading it but when I got more in dept with it it start to make more sense and you get how the main character John grows from a boy to a young man. It's a very good read so I advise you to read this book it takes time to get the setting from the Bend and the town John lives in and how they relate but they do so read the book.
April
Aug 26, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. What a powerful story about a young, white boy who befriends an older, black man during the civil rights era. I cannot say enough good things about it.
Pam
Dec 10, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing
i love this book!
Cynthia
Aug 09, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Bryan
Apr 15, 2011 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Harper Lee meets Rick Bragg. This territory feels familiar but Devoto gives things enough twist to be satisfying despite arbitrary plotting.

Lorrie
Jan 23, 2008 Lorrie rated it it was amazing
ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ...
Colleen
Oct 24, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
I could not put this book down. Devotoalso wrote "My Last Days as Roy Rogers".
Noelle Thomas
Apr 22, 2007 Noelle Thomas rated it it was amazing
Really great story. I dont have anything else to say about it. I literally didnt put it down. Not once. Well, only for some cheez-its. am currently re-reading.
Bea
Aug 22, 2008 Bea rated it liked it
I didn't think this was a particularly memorable book, but easy to read and OK if you've got nothing else to read. About a boy living in the south around the time of the civil rights movement
Tami
Tami rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2007
Jean Hedges
Jean Hedges rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
gen
gen rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2009
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2008
Linda Konkel
Linda Konkel rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2009
Cat232
Cat232 rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012
Chantelle
Chantelle rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Phyllis Norwood
Phyllis Norwood rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
  • Meely LaBauve
  • End of Days
  • The Music of Razors
  • The Crazy Man
  • This Side of Glory (Plantation Trilogy, #3)
  • The Rope Walk
  • Touching Snow
  • The Narcissist's Daughter
  • The Language of Light
  • The Truest Pleasure
  • Who Peed on My Yoga Mat?

“No matter how much he talked, she never answered him, but he knew she was still there. He knew it was like the soldiers he had read about. They would have an arm or a leg blown off, and for days, even weeks after it happened, they could still feel the arm itching, the leg itching, the mother calling.” 35 likes