Start by marking “Cure Your Child with Food: The Hidden Connection Between Nutrition and Childhood Ailments” as Want to Read:

Why treat your child with drugs when you can cure your child with nutrition? Grounded in cutting-edge science and filled with case studies that read like medical thrillers, this is a book for every parent whose child suffers from mood swings, stomachaches, ear infections, eczema, anxiety, tantrums, ADD/ADHD, picky eating, asthma, lack of growth, and a host of other physica ...more
Published May 14th 2013 by Workman Publishing (first published April 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cure Your Child with Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cure Your Child with Food

Mar 14, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am no longer overwhelmed at the thought of eliminating gluten and dairy

Since he was an infant, my seven year old son, Henry, has been difficult. He was a colicicky baby, a violent toddler, and recently, an increasingly disruptive student. He also suffers from chronic, year round eczema and constipation, violent outbursts at times and general hyperactivity.

When he was four, we put him on the Feingold program. It has been around since the 70s and is known to help kids with ADHD and ODD, which I
Deborah
Jun 09, 2017 Deborah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, health
This doctor prescribes food treatments for common illnesses and health problems in children and states that due to a lack of training in nutrition, pediatricians are over-prescribing medications when changes in diet could make all the difference. Food for thought :)
Deb
Apr 26, 2014 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I would have had this book 7 years ago when we started a very rocky health journey with our newborn daughter. After years of seeing a wide assortment of pediatric specialists, many of whom dismissed our questions about nutrition and instead suggested that our daughter most likely has some as-yet-undetermined "syndrome", I read this book. It was all the encouragement we needed to eliminate gluten completely from our diet and get our daughter on the right supplements (good probiotics, Fish ...more
Karen Hanson
Apr 28, 2014 Karen Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
I initially started reading this book to get some ideas on how to encourage my kid to eat a wider variety of foods and not be so picky, not necessarily to cure any specific ailment. I technically didn't read the entire book just because a lot of the nutrition caused ailments didn't apply to me, but there was a lot of very useful information.

I had no idea that things like a dairy allergy could cause a child to dislike food. Or that there were different levels of gluten sensitivity. The fact that
Ren
Apr 18, 2014 Ren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As my passion for nutrition has increased so has my desire to pursue more education in this field. I was about to apply for my masters in nutrition when I started reading this book a few weeks back. I was starting to realize that the nutrition style I subscribed to will most likely never be taught in a school setting. However, books like this one can give us plenty of information and carry us in the right direction of learning. After reading lots of nutrition related books, I'm so pleased to lea ...more
Diane
Sep 22, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With simple things becoming ever more complicated - such as grocery shopping - I think this book is a must have for families. Finding straight forward nutrition information can be difficult, what works for one person may not work for another! This book really gives the tools to become a detective when it come to nutrition, what to look for, common pitfalls and their effects, etc. Although nutrition cannot solve all the ailments in the world, this book could be very helpful to any parent (or adul ...more
Renee
Aug 03, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resource
Love this book! Wish I had it years ago. I think it should be on every family's bookshelf. The info here is consistent with other books I've read, and helps you to think like a detective when your child is showing symptoms.... it led me to make an appointment with our doctor and things are getting better! We do pretty good with what we eat, but now I'm being intentional to be even better after this read.
Rachael
Feb 14, 2014 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what I was looking for! Nutrition taken up a notch with medical studies and information about supplements to address deficiencies in kids with all sorts of needs. 3-4 chapters addressed issues for carver directly. I am going to try it out. Well written. Wanted to read more and more and got excited about the possibilities for helping him in a more natural way.
Skye LeFevre
Oct 02, 2016 Skye LeFevre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good starting book for anyone new to the information that what you eat does affect how you behave. She does a great job of giving information as to simple nutrients that can help you feel more clam, stay more focused, get rid of tummy aches, etc. I feel like the scientific information is a little lacking though. But like I said, it is a good starting point.
Adrienne
Oct 30, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically: Any health problem, ever, is probably a gluten or a dairy allergy. That said, this was one of the first reasonable and persuasive explanations I've ever heard for gluten intolerance, but I'll still wait to cross this bridge when I get there.
Debbie
Aug 30, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to know there's a fairly mainstream book out there with solid information about toxins and nutrition and how both can effect your body, and how your symptoms can be helped by eliminating or adding things to your diet.
Diana Pettis
I chose to read this because I am always looking for ideas for my picky eater, Xavier.
Gina N
Gina N rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Corinne
Corinne rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Jane Upshall
Jane Upshall rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Gwen Hyde
Gwen Hyde rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Tess
Tess rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Daniél Minton
Daniél Minton rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Erin Geshwiler
Erin Geshwiler rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Trace
Mar 03, 2014 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had some great tips and ideas for me to follow up on.
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Elaina
Elaina rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2017
David Sun
David Sun rated it liked it
May 14, 2017
Jane
Jane rated it it was ok
May 05, 2017
Johannah
Johannah rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Jordan Mann
Jordan Mann rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Daelynn Quinn
Daelynn Quinn rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
Terron
Terron rated it did not like it
May 09, 2017
Jeff Muetzel
Jeff Muetzel rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Lunch Wars: How to Start a School Food Revolution and Win the Battle for Our Children's Health
  • Bringing Up Kids Without Tearing Them Down: How to Raise Confident, Successful Children
  • 7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child
  • The Bilingual Edge: Why, When, and How to Teach Your Child a Second Language
  • The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)
  • Digestive Health with Real Food: A Practical Guide to an Anti-Inflammatory, Low-Irritant, Nutrient Dense Diet for IBS & Other Digestive Issues
  • Superlife
  • Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much
  • Going Raw: Everything You Need to Start Your Own Raw Food Diet and Lifestyle Revolution at Home
  • It's a Boy! Understanding Your Son's Development from Birth to Age 18
  • The Best Green Smoothies on the Planet: The 150 Most Delicious, Most Nutritious, 100% Vegan Recipes for the World's Healthiest Drink
  • Crazybusy: Overstretched, Overbooked, and about to Snap! Strategies for Coping in a World Gone Add
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
Kelly Dorfman, MS, LND, is a nutritionist who specializes in working with children. She has served, by governor appointment, on the Maryland Board of Dietetic Practice, has consulted for WebMD, and has been a go-to authority on nutrition for The Washington Post. She is a sought-after lecturer who speaks around the country, and lives just outside of Washington, D.C. "
More about Kelly Dorfman...