Start by marking “La casa de la laguna: (The House on the Lagoon - Spanish-language edition)” as Want to Read:
La casa de la laguna: (The House on the Lagoon - Spanish-language edition)

La casa de la laguna: (The House on the Lagoon - Spanish-language edition)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Nominated for the 1995 National Book Award, La casa de la laguna (The House on the Lagoon) is the story of Isabel Monfort and her husband Quintin Mendizabal—the history of a family whose secrets, conflicts and private mythologies add up to the larger story of a nation: Puerto Rico.
Published July 1st 1997 by Vintage Espanol (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about La casa de la laguna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La casa de la laguna

Rachel
Aug 28, 2012 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: afro-Caribbean enthusiasts
This book is not only beautiful, it is surprisingly beautiful. As touching and poetic as Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird sings, and more exotic. It is almost biblical in it's epic telling of this family's journey. Read it! The prologue begins "Before I ever loved a woman, I wagered my heart on chance and violence won it over."
Angela
Thanks to Open Road Integrated Media and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
******************************************************************************************

I don't know how much of this story is true to history, but when reading this I certainly felt as if it was the history of Puerto Rico depicted by the story of these people .We see the good, the bad and (I know cliché) but the very ugly things too, about Quintin's and Isabel's families covering over seven decades.

The au
Judy

I belong to four reading groups, all of which meet in real time. Because I read so much, I am always dying for people to discuss books with, but reading group picks are an unpredictable mix. What a treat it is then to read a great book I might otherwise have missed if it weren't for those reading groups.

The House on the Lagoon is historical fiction set in Puerto Rico; Rosario Ferre is a Puerto Rican writer, poet and essayist. She writes in both Spanish and English, self-translating her books. Th
Bucket
"Between the writing and the reading of a text, things change, the world goes round, marriages and love affairs are made and unmade. Wasn't all storytelling, in a sense, like that?... Each chapter is like a letter to the reader; its meaning isn't completed until it is read by someone."

So Isabel says to her husband, and so is The House on the Lagoon. The novel is generational story of Isabel's and her husband's families, but it's also a game of tug-of-war between the two of them that escalates m
Ryl
Marie Hew
Enjoyable multi-generational tale about a well-to-do family from Puerto Rico that spans a century of familial secrets, drama, social climbing and the desperate need to protect the reputation of their supposedly prominent clan. I really liked how Ferré talks to the reader through the two narrators of the novel and revealing the internal dialogue that each of them have about one another. Literary elements aside, I liked this book because it puts PR in a historical context that most mainlanders kno ...more
Alexis Vélez
Espectacular, buenísima, excelente, épica. Bien acertado lo que he visto en varias críticas sobre la comparación de la misma con Cien años de Soledad, mi versión hasta tiene un árbol genealógico impreso en las primeras páginas que es super útil para no perderse en la maraña familiar de la historia. La historia es un tanto trágica y te deja muchas veces boquiabierto con las cosas que le ocurren a ésta familia, pero además es una rica narración de casi un siglo de historia puertorriqueña bien docu ...more
Maggie
a look at the divisions among the elite in puerto rico about the future of the island. should it remain a commonwealth, become a state or become it's own nation? this is the question addressed throughout the story of three generations of a wealthy puerto rican family. the story also gives rise to other thoughts and questions on class as well as race.
the story is written as being narrated through authorship by isabel, the main character, but also gives the very different point of view of her hus
Ann
Having visited Ponce and San Juan, I enjoyed learning about the people and the culture. In my opinion, this story is about the rights of women, and the female characters are strong women. The grandmother who encourages the mother to abort her pregnancy so that she is not bogged down. Then Isobel who decides to write a novel only to have her husband violate her privacy to read it secretly. The book gave more insight to the debate on the island about what their relationship to the United States sh ...more
Maria Grazia
Perhaps it will seem incredible, but before I read this book, for me Porto Rico was just a name associated with a vague geographical indication (the Antilles). I knew nothing of his status as a member of the American Commonwealth, being the Unites States a nation to which Puerto Rico is linked by a relationship of love / hate, nor of its complicated anthropological mix.
The House on the Lagoon is the story of a couple who loves hating so much, or hate loving; two very different people who, instea
Joann Dietch
Apr 30, 2010 Joann Dietch added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in quality written family sagas based in Puerto Rico.
Wonderful book which I actually had to order through Barnes and Noble. Interesting all local libraries had only picked up the subsequentally written books after the fame of this one. I really enjoy the genre of the family saga. I believe this genre is the best form of complete character development because nothing is more revealing about ourselves than our family histories.
Katie
Feb 24, 2008 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good story, interested in Latin American culture & history
The English version is called "The House on the Lagoon" and it was originally written in English although she's Puerto Rican and lots of her work is in Spanish. I love Ferre's combination of great storytelling, colorful prose and history and politics of Puerto Rico. I loved this book.
Rouen
Isabel Monfort, married to Quintin Mendizabal, intended to write the story of the Mendizabals and the Monforts, to account the history behind each generation. But somewhere along the way, it turned into something else, a novel about freedom from the clutching hands of power whether it be political and familial.

In this saga of a wealthy Puerto Rican family, secrets go abound with riches and status. Beginning with Buenaventura Mendizabal’s arrival to the island in the early twentieth century as a
Gabriel Oak
I feel a little sheepish on this one because I didn't realize the book was originally written in English. I've read other things by Ferré in Spanish and just assumed this was the original. On the positive side, this is a really good novel and if you don't read Spanish, you can pick up the original in English. I loved the parallels between the Mendizábal family saga and the history of Puerto Rico, and the metanarrative device of Quintín and Isabel arguing over the appropriate way to tell the fami ...more
Sandra Saltzer-duzak
It was easy to get swept into the current of this book. Sometimes fantastical, but always poetic.
At its heart, it describes the struggles in Puerto Rico's identity with the U.S. through generations of characters in two principal families. This struggle manifests itself in the very different views between the men and women. The tension between art and history is also brought in to play and divides the two principal characters - husband and wife - to the point of no return. The author weaves the
Maritza Buendia
Extraordinaria historia de la saga de una familia en Puerto Rico. Isabel Monfort escribe la crónica de su familia y de su vida con Quintín. Una novela con contenido histórico donde el lector vive las intrigas familiares, la política de la isla, la lucha de clases y de sus mujeres y la extraordinaria idiosincrasia y colorido de los personajes de descendencia africana y española. Una narrativa rica con vívidas descripciones de la belleza natural y el esplendor de la isla.
Colleen
I did learn some things about the history of Puerto Rico that I hadn't thought about before. For example, their relasionship with the US, the clashes between those who wanted statehood and those who wanted independence. However, I got tired of the characters as it went along. I will admit I had to keep returning to the page in the front with the famly tree to remember who they all were.
Trinity School Summer Reading
An historical novel that traces the stories of multiple generations of the Monfort family in Puerto Rico (along with the history and politics of the island itself). Read about the immigrants, slaves, and women who learn to have subtle powers in a male-dominated time…many adventures and a beautifully-written story.
Tara Chevrestt
A DNF for me. It is written too much like a biography and lacks a personal feel. Tho rich in Puerto Rico history, it is much too "On July 4, 1917, so and so arrived and blah blah blah." There is no clothing descpriptions, nothing "intimate" to make the reader feel as tho they are there.
Maura
May 08, 2008 Maura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maura by: Francis
I had no real knowledge about Puerto Rico and this novel provided an interesting backgound of the region and the people woven into the story. The character's were all larger than life and the relationships, particularly among those of different genders and races were interesting.
Lauren
It's one of the most well-written books I've ever read (in any language). Ferre is Puerto Rican, and it also gives you a sense of the different views Puerto Ricans have of their own social and political situation. Oh yeah, and it's kick-ass feminist!
Lesley
This is a great story of a family of really strong women who overcome a great deal to do what they love. I had to read it for a class in college, and I actually really enjoyed it (that never happens).
J. Cruz
I deeply emotional series of stories about the political as well as the patriarchal dogma of Puerto Rico in the twentieth century. achieves its goal of discovering the truth via good prose.
Breanne Joy
I did not like this book at first. But after the first third or so, I really begin to enjoy it and after I got half way through it, I couldn't put it down. Really worth the read.
Headley Mist
Yet another Latin America family saga. Yet another female identity book.

Feels okay, bit a bit like material for PHd thesises on the abovementioned subjects.
Katherine
I just couldn't get into this book. It was a finalist for the National Book Award but the multitude of characters and paucity of action bored me.
Rebekkila
Oct 05, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Maddy
I loved this book. Anyone who has lived in Puerto Rico and understands the political and historical background of the island will love it.
Graph
One of the books that got me hooked on reading! I'm a sucker for latin american literature (modern authors).
Alexey
Росарио Ферре - Дом на берегу лагуны. История одной семьи, проходящая через несколько поколений.
  • The Scroll of Seduction
  • The Peron Novel
  • The Agüero Sisters (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
  • Daughters of the Stone
  • The Invisible Mountain
  • You Are Free
  • María
  • Isle of Passion
Rosario Ferré was born in Puerto Rico, where her father served as governor. She is best known for her novels and short stories. In 1992, Ferré was awarded the Liberatur Prix award at the Frankfurt Book Fair for the German translation of her novel Sweet Diamond Dust. She was a finalist for the National Book Award for her novel The House on the Lagoon in 1995. Rosario Ferré lives in Puerto Rico with ...more
More about Rosario Ferré...
The Youngest Doll Eccentric Neighborhoods Maldito amor y otros cuentos Papeles de Pandora: cuentos Sweet Diamond Dust: And Other Stories