Start by marking “Daynight (Daynight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daynight (Daynight, #1)

Daynight (Daynight #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,065 ratings  ·  204 reviews
2012 Book of the Year Award Finalist-Young Adult Fiction, ForeWord Reviews

“Sure to win over YA readers looking for a dangerous, dystopian adventure story” —Kirkus Reviews

“Gripping young adult dystopian novel; compelling conflicts; high stakes; powerful narrative; surprises keep coming; strong writing; page-turner; engaging characters; Readers will be hungry for the sequels
Published November 1st 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Daynight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daynight

The Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Fiery Heart by Richelle MeadClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Holders by Julianna ScottBloodlines by Richelle Mead
My 2013 Reading Challenge List
54th out of 86 books — 68 voters
Tent City by Kelly Van HullTagged by Joseph M. ChironBreeder by Casey HaysGalactic Energies by Luca  RossiThe Moon Dwellers by David Estes
Little Known Dystopias
58th out of 131 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana
Oh man where do I start with this book? The first half was great and I was really engrossed with both the plot and the characters. The second half however is a whole'notha story. Everyone was incredibly fickle, with zero backbone, and the plot quickly turned convoluted and sick. Between the" daddies boys" love interests to the boy crazy storyline, this book ended up feeling like a bad Sci Fi version of Gossip Girl.

I am disappointed that the author wasn't able to succeed after her great start and
Sydney

I have decided self-published books are my new "thing". After the spectacular debut of Susan Ee's Angelfall and Megan Thomason's gorgeous gem of a book we have here, publishing companies need to get their heads out of the Twi-Hard's and 50 Shades of Crap's asses and be smacked in the face with delicious stories like daynight.

My desperate need for all things dystopian novel got a real big present when I scored daynight FOR FREE on Amazon as a Kindle download. As I trudge my way through mediocre
Ally
2/5 stars

Nope. This book did not work for me.

My reaction throughout the book:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was originally going to give it five stars...then four...then three...then two when I finally reached the end.

Why did I not like it?

(view spoiler)
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Review:
Daynight was vastly different from the majority of books I've read lately. That being said I'm not really sure how I feel about that. On one hand, the premise was great and the characters were equally enjoyable. On the other hand, I was left feeling confused at the end. Almost like I had sensory overload. It's taken me days to process this book and the events therein in order to review.

Let me start out by saying the writing is superb. The Author's narrative was spellbinding and I was suck
Grace
This review was originally posted on Lust For Stories for the daynight Blog Tour.

Daynight is a book I can't simply just put into words. To be honest, I went into it expecting a three-star read, at most a four-star, but guess what? I came out giving it a whole whopping five stars.

Let's start with the opening line/s, shall we?

Escape, I remind myself. That's why I'm here. On a speedboat. With a creepy escort who looks like the human incarnation of Mr. Potatohead.

How's that for a first line? It's f
Ashley
I am always reluctant to read books that have been self-published, due to the nature of the game: anyone can publish, regardless of the quality of their writing. "daynight", however, blew away all of my expectations.

"daynight" recounts the stories of three young adults, Kira, Blake, and Ethan, and their interactions with one another and the Second Chance Institute (SCI). It's set in a dystopian world unlike any other I have encountered in the dozens upon dozens of young adult novels I have read
Yoon-Ji

I'm just going to come right out and say it. This book isn't one of my favourites. And it just sucks to not be able to get into a book that's received so many great reviews; it's like I'm missing out on something that every other reader was privy to! I picked up Megan Thomason's debut novel "Daynight", intrigued by the whole idea of a second chance at life and the supposed great cast of characters... But I'm getting ahead of myself. To the beginning we go!
Jordan
I liked this book up until 70%. The concept is honestly weird more than it is interesting.

So you have the SCI who (view spoiler) I saw a few reviews where people mentioned being confused which made no sense to me because even reading it I understood what they we
Lacey
Great new dysotopian story! Welcome to Thera where we live during the night and sleep during the day. And oh ya, if you recognize some familiar faces here from people you thought were previously gone there may be a reason behind it.
I really enjoyed the concept behind daynight and that I couldn't predict where the book was going but it wasn't so far-fetched that I couldnt follow along. I love a good surprise. I also liked that each chapter followed along one of three main characters in the story
A few things to know before we get started.

1. I didn't finish the book. I read almost half of it before setting it aside.

2. I don't read much YA fiction, but when I do, I read Divergent, The Hunger Games, Waterfall, So Not Happening, and The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back.

3. I don't watch current teen TV shows (outside of Good Luck Charlie, which might not count since it's on the Disney Channel).

4. I am a teenager (for a few more months).

So why didn't I finish this book?

I liked the idea. At the s
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
When I thought I had figured out where the plot of this story was taken me, I was amazed to find it go another way. Megan Thomason has created a book full of plot twists and turns.

Kira has a chance at a scholarship that would entail skipping out her senior year and going to the SCI. They offer second chances to people who have screwed up their lives. It is an opportunity that she can't pass up. It would set her on the path to a future success.

She soon discovers that if a deal is too good to be t
Twigg
This review has taken me two days to write. I've brainstormed in the shower and on my drive to work what I wanted to cover and i've written, erased, and rewritten paragraphs multiple times. So short and sweet: This is a really good book. It easily got a spot on my Favorites shelf.

I love that the government is well thought out and a major part of the plot. I'm not going to name any titles but so many ya dystopia books in the past few years uses the dystopia setting as just the setting, when it co
Michael
Nov 01, 2014 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult lovers, dystopia fans
Shelves: owned-ebook
The theme of this story is amazing! I am eagerly looking forward to the next in the series. I could really feel the author getting into her writing towards the end of the book. She appears to effortlessly seam tension, twists, love triangles, and a cliff hanger in unison. Based on the theme alone, this book would have five stars.

I love it when the cover art makes sense! Look at the cover art on this book. Can you figure out what the story is going to be about? No? Well, read the book, and you'll
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
4.5 Stars

I received this book from the author in exchange for a honest review. Everything you are about to read is my full and honest opinion about the book!

Wow! This book was GREAT! I really enjoyed it very much! The author has done a wonderful job with the writing and creating a well thought out plot! Everything fit very well and flowed perfectly together!

The book starts off with the one of the main charters Kira signing up at the SCI to do service for them for a year in exchange for a full
Jacqueline
I got this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. I was totally entranced from the very beginning. The storyline started out captivating at the very beginning and I couldn't stop until I got to the end. You want to talk about a love triangle that keeps you guessing. I literally did not know which way Thomason was going to take the characters until the end. She kept you on your toes and every time you think something is going to happen Thomason takes it
Bookgeek_zah
This book had me gripping my seat, knuckles whitening with the suspense and agony of not knowing what the next twist may be. At very turn of a page my heart pace quickens at the affect of the words that linger in my head long after I've read them. Trickles of sweat loiter on my creased forehead as I gasp at what happens before me, my hands grasp the book in fear it may fall and shatter into pieces and I am deprived of knowing what the fate of Kira is. Book your ticket to Thera, come aboard this ...more
Katie
Interesting concept. It was more intense than I expected. I thought it would be just like the other popular teen romance craze series going around, but this one surprised me. I'm looking forward to the follow up.
Inspired Kathy
I'm setting up a blog tour & book blast for daynight:
Francesca
I loved the premise. I am a fan of young adult dystopian novels. This one has a fantastical element with the parallel opposite Earth. I love stories about people going through portals from Earth to other worlds.

The story was interesting, and I wanted to enjoy it. I read all the way to the end, and felt disappointed. The main characters ruined the story for me.

I wanted to like Kira. At first I thought I could like her, but the farther I got into the book the less I liked her. She didn't react t
Nope. Not a fan. What's with all the hype?

This was sitting around on my Kindle for quite some time and I figured I'd run through it while on the train.

I seriously don't understand this book at all. Kira is WAY too calm about everything. (view spoiler)
Lynanne Carroll
If I was a preteen (well, maybe...I was a strange kid), I might've found this novel more enjoyable. As it was, I barely managed to get through the first 2-3 chapters.

There are books out there that have slow beginnings. The first, I dunno, 7 attempts that I tried to get into Harry Potter testify to the fact that, at least for me, great books don't always hook you from the start. (I must admit, however, that I find the beginning of HP hilarious now that I'm an adult.)

And the rating was just so go
Nancy
Nobody is more surprised than me that I enjoyed this book so much. After I endured a forced march through those Twilight books I didn't think I could handle another "teen" book. This one, though, was a pleasure to read. Just as adults enjoy the Harry Potter or Hunger Games books, they can enjoy this one, too. It's an excellent book that just happens to prominently feature young characters. The plot is complex but not too hard to follow, the characters well-developed thanks to artfully-placed fla ...more
Emmy
Kira is living a normal teenage life, cheerleader, boyfriend- who she is starting to wonder how great he is. She decides to sign up for a year study program that will make her miss her senior year but the full college scholarship will make it worth it.

She goes to the interview and decides it is not for her, but then a huge tragedy in her life leads her to decided to join the program and this is where the out-of-this-world (literally) adventure begins.

But you will not get that right from the beg
Bethany
I was given a copy of this book by the author as part of a Read and Review, in exchange for an honest review.

I think the biggest issue for me with this book was editing. I felt like there was so many parts that didn't add to the story and instead drew me out and made the book drag. It was a bit hard to finish, I had to really push through the last quarter of the book. The frustrating part is that underneath that extra stuff, there is a really unique and exciting story. It had wonderful, creepy
Stephanie Ward
'Daynight' is a fantastic young adult science fiction/dystopian novel that follows three different main characters: Kira Donovan, Blake Sundry, and Ethan Darcton. Each has a different past and a different situation that lands them at The Second Chance Institute (SCI). Each character must deal with their own problems as well as political agendas, family expectations, and romantic triangles.

This is a very inventive and fantastic dystopian novel that is full of not only the science fiction and dyst
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
daynight is a book for all Dystopian fans. I have never read a world that was created so smoothly and put together. I mean right from the opening line you are hooked. You read the prologue and you are entered into this world and the minds of three people that will have to make choices and decisions that can make or break them. The world is in a state of chaos and The Second Chance Institute offers things some can not refuse but at the same time what they offer has it's own price to pay. Some are ...more
 CCAM&GZM

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. (Genesis 1:3-5) If light is good, what does the dark bring?"

From the first moments of people’s self-awareness, they began to wonder what is "beyond" and begin to forge stories and hopes of an afterlife, a world of second chances.

"daynight" by Megan Thomason has a little strange prologue, but
Jenna
This book started out very good. I was pulled in and ready for a great ride. BUT after a few chapters in, this book turned in to a bad soap. The main protagonist goes from one boy to the other we have instant love with a love triangle ( and it isn't well done). This book was confusing I had trouble visualizing the world. Kira's friends get blown up at a party and she than goes and signs a contract to enter The Second Chance Institute (SCI), here her friends who were dead one minute happen to be ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Daynight is a book with some very interesting concepts and really unique sound. I’ve read quite a few books with different worlds but never one that involved an alternate and polar opposite Earth. At first glance this seems fairly cut and dry, with an alternate Earth and a institute that has much more power than most believe. However the farther I read the more I realized that it has a much more complex storyline and it incorporates not only a science fiction aspect but a fantasy one as well.

I u
Tima
Pre-Reading Thoughts: Had to do with capitalization issues that were entirely my personal opinion/OCD and were pleasantly addressed by the author and therefore are null and void now.

First Off!: I don't write reviews that are summaries of the story, just to get that out of the way early. So, if you haven't already read the book this review won't be for you, as much.

Secondly, I'm a always weary of a self-published novel. They have a bad reputation (and are too often living up to their bad reputati
David Estes Fans ...: R&R # 9 - DAYNIGHT by Megan Thomason 83 137 Aug 28, 2013 12:01PM
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • The Breeders (Breeders #1)
  • Darklandia
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • The Blemished (Blemished, #1)
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • Dissidence (Dissidence, #1)
  • Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1)
  • Exceptional (Exceptional, #1)
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • The Annihilation of Foreverland (Foreverland, #1)
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • After the Fear
  • Perception (The Perception Trilogy, #1)
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • The Release (Virulent, #1)
  • Weavers (The Frost Chronicles, #3)
Bestselling, award-winning author Megan Thomason lives in paradise aka San Diego, CA with her husband and five children. A former software manager, Megan vastly prefers writing twisted tales to business, product, and marketing plans. When she isn't typing away on her laptop, she's reading books on her phone--over 600 in the last year--or attending to the needs of her family. Megan's fluent in sarc ...more
More about Megan Thomason...
Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5) Arbitrate (Daynight, #2) What Tomorrow May Bring Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology The Catastrophe Theory

“Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.” —Edgar Allen Poe” 1 likes
“Guys don’t have girls as friends. At least not hot girls like Kira.” 0 likes