Double On-Call and Other Stories

Double On-Call and Other Stories

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  35 reviews
This was available as a perk for people who donated to the Harry Potter Alliance's Equality FTW fundraiser.

The first section of John Green's unfinished, abandoned novel THE SEQUEL, which is a sequel to a novel that doesn't exist called THE ODD AT SEA. About the story, John says "THE SEQUEL contains a lot of the ideas that ended up in THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, although it's a...more
Published January 4th 2013

Sisi Yang
Jan 04, 2013 Sisi Yang rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who's read Fault in Our Stars
Shelves: 2013, teen
Amy S
This was the perk I chose to receive for donating to the 2012 Project For Awesome. :)

A lot of other John Green fans don't like these shorts, I suppose because they're very different to the tone of his usual books, but I love them. My 4 stars aren't out of pity or obligation; I really really enjoyed reading these.

I love these early drafts because there's a lot of tangents in them: discussions about the history of the gospels in the Bible, examples of Einstein's theories of relativity, etc. I rea...more
Shelby
If I were not a massive John Green fangirl, I would not be giving Double On-Call four stars. I would be giving two and a half, perhaps three if I were feeling generous. However, I am a biased Nerdfighter and I expect that, because this was only released as a Project for Awesome perk, only fellow John Green fans will be reading it. Now, if this book goes the way of Zombicorns, another P4A perk, and is released as a free e-book, I will probably bring this review down another star.

Why? Because thi...more
Emily
This is difficult to rate because these stories are early drafts of what Green calls "largely unsuccessful attempts to write about illness and tragedy and life in a children's hospital." It's obviously not his best work nor is it intended to be. However, it is interesting to read the work Green wrote on his way to writing The Fault in Our Stars. Perhaps the most interesting part is the afterword which offers further insight into his process and his development as a writer. If you are a fan of Jo...more
Nichole
Obviously not John Green's best work, and it's not meant to be, but still worth reading for the ideas/themes that he was toying with.
Romi
It took me around eight or nine months to finally read this after I first bought it in 2012, and when I did I found it extremely interesting. It contains three short stories, all slightly different but with a similar vein running through each- a young chaplain working in a childrens hospital.
Each story had a layer of painful reality threaded through it, and the detached way the narrator witnessed and spoke of these horrible tragedies, almost in a time worn way, was a little discomforting.

Whilst...more
Keanna
Double On-Call and Other Stories is a must read for any diehard Nerdfighters/John Green fans, and a favourable read for fans of the young adult contemporary genre.

It goes without saying that this is not John's best writing. Given that these stories date back as early as 2001, I think this is excusable. However, the concepts and ideas presented in these short stories hold merit that makes them worth the read. Not only do they give insight into John's days as a student chaplain and the bleak worl...more
Catherine
What a gem! I know these stories remain unpublished because John Green himself considers them failures, but I really enjoyed reading them. I find them refreshingly different from his novels, and there's something really nice about reading short stories from someone who is known only as a novelist. (I'm always waiting for the short story to make a comeback.)

There's obvious repetition in these stories, as they're a sort of documentation of a writer trying to hack away at a single idea (eventually...more
Amanda
I like anything John Green. It's interesting to read these short, early drafts of stories he never finished. Notable excerpts:

The terrifying wonderfulness of everything. (The Sequel, p. 39)

I finally came to believe that nihilism wasn't the only response to a universe indifferent to the lives of individuals, and that embracing hope does not mean ignoring or denying the reality of suffering. This happened partly because of my friendship with Esther Earl, who taught me that a short life can also be...more
karen jules
Double On-Call and The Odd At Sea were okay, but they were neither very John Green, nor very extraordinary in their storytelling. Though, The Sequel (the last story) was wonderfully written and the plot really fascinated me. I was so sad that it was so unfinished, because it had so much potential. I have no idea how he would've pulled it off to make the storyline realistic, but I would've loved to read this as an actual, finished story.

I also really loved his acknowledgements for no particular...more
Tenley Nadine
It was interesting seeing the progression of John's writing over time. It's been said many times by John himself and many other authors that writing is in rewriting. I always believed that to be true, but its a very different thing to see it happen.

I also quite liked the concept of fictionality that was explored in "The Sequel". The whole story kind of sparked the question, what makes a person a person? Tangibility? A soul? A mind? What is it that sets the world of fiction apart from nonfiction...more
Cedric Key
Okay, I'm going to write this review before reading any of the other reviews, but I fail to see how this collection can have a 3.88 rating.
It was released specifically as bonus content, and the inadequacies of the stories are a large part of it's charm.
It's fascinating to see a younger Johns self image in the character of the Chaplain in each of the stories, and it's also fascinating to see the seeds of ideas that ended up in The Fault In Our Stars.
Reading this made me really want to read John'...more
Sarah Elder
One of the things that I love about John Green is his ability to have the reader think deeply about the issues the characters face. In this case, though darker than I had thought it would be, it gives a lot of background to what eventually became TFiOS. For this alone, it is great. It is underdeveloped, but for those of us that knew what we were going to receive, it is not a surprise as these were from very early writings. I feel lucky to have the chance to read them. And anyone that quotes Bonh...more
Nicola
I imagine John Green wouldn't be happy to see a rating applied to this book, especially since it's so unusual for an author to share early work, and work that is unfinished. I liked the third story, The Sequel. The others were clearly flawed but fascinating to read, particularly with Green's analysis in the final section. Many authors aren't great at critiquing their own work (at least in terms of readers' vs author's opinion) but this was a great insight into his writing process and growth as a...more
Andrea Barreiro
I definitely prefer the first two stories to the third, because even though they weren't finished, they had a sense of being kind of a complete story. The Odd at Sea, on the other hand, felt like an introduction to a story that was never told, but I think it had the potential to be a good story.
Ultimately, I liked these stories, but they cannot compete with John's actual books, at least not at this point.
Rachel Werz
Glad I chose this perk for Project for Awesome. Compared to his writing now, I found the stories one dimensional and self-centered, as he admits himself! But it was really cool to see how the whole depressed, doubtful "student chaplain thing" was transformed into a beautiful message of hope, strength, and dignity in suffering that you see in The Fault in Our Stars. I loved having this insight.
Orsi Nagy
Three unfinished stories from John Green, well written and honest, I enjoyed reading them very much. The first one was brilliant and a good story on its own, the second one was a bit like the beginning of TFiOS, only with a teenage boy instead of Hazel, and a John Green-clone for a chaplain. The third one was the beginning of "The Sequel" to which he referred several times.
Katie
Honestly, I thought it was particularly hilarious how John inserted himself into every story. I don't think anyone who doesn't watch the Vlogbrothers will really get it. But I'm also not sure that anyone reading this is a non-Nerdfighter, either.

Overall: John's right. They're not great stories. But they do have quite a bit of charm. 3.75/5.
Reno (Falling Letters)
Particularly a great read considered alongside The Fault in Our Stars. Otherwise, while not the most technically accomplished collection, it's a rather interesting collection of abandoned writings.
Henri
I liked the stories. Really did. Obviously not for their great literary quality or the plot itself, as there wasn't much of a plot developed, I feel. But I liked seeing how some of the ideas for TFIOS are already there and I liked getting to see, a little bit, how John's ideas about suffering have evolved.
BookWorm 221
description

Got this as a perk on Project for Awesome 2012

www.bookworm221.tumblr.com

Instagram and Twitter @bookquotes221
Piktas
The stories are a bit messy but overall thoughtful sketches. Funny to read if you are already familiar with "Looking for Alaska" and "The Fault in Our Stars" as some thingies from the stories made it to the books.
Personally, I would totally read a sequel of "The Sequel".
Jill
Enjoyed it - and DAMN YOU JOHN GREEN! I want to know who Hannah really is and if she's really sick or if there's more behind it. Gah! However, it is somewhat obvious (especially after reading the Author's note) that there is a reason those stories were never finished/published.
Sarah Tayeh
It goes without saying that this is obviously not John Greens best writing. It was written very early on so it is to be expected.
What this 36 page e-book gives nerdfighters and fans of TFiOS is a glimpse into the process and where the book started.
Allison
I love all things John Green, but this is nothing like the typical John Green writing I have come to know. Quite sad for short stories and kind of leaves you hanging since they were his "unfinished" pieces. Either way a good contribution for P4A.
Kate
I'll admit I'm a bid of a fan girl when it comes to John Green. It was really interesting to see what pieces of these stories made it into The Fault in Our Stars. I really enjoyed these stories even in their unfinished stages.
Zara
The stories as a whole were mediocre, but there were particular lines and particular moments when I thought, "Yeah, *that's* John Green." Definitely a worthwhile read for any John Green fan.
Shimon
Five stars here not for the writing per se (which is of course not John's best) but for the candid raw glimpse into John's mind and creative process. Truly priceless.
Dayse Dantas
I don't LOVE it, but it's kind of good, and I love what it means. If that makes sense?
  • What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur
  • Twice Told: Original Stories Inspired by Original Artwork
  • 1776: A Story in Tweets
  • Who Done It?
  • 21 Proms
  • Warm Springs: Traces of a Childhood at FDR's Polio Haven
  • Post-it Note Diaries: 20 Stories of Youthful Abandon, Embarrassing Mishaps, and Everyday Adventure
  • These Days
  • Tinder
  • Double Negative
  • Teen Boat!
  • Eleanor
  • Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life And Career Of Warwick Davis
  • One Snowy Night
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • Just Don't Fall: How I Grew Up, Conquered Illness, and Made It Down the Mountain
  • When David Lost His Voice
  • Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)

John Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska, won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association. His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines, was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. His next novel, Paper Towns, is a New...more
More about John Green...
The Fault in Our Stars Looking for Alaska Paper Towns An Abundance of Katherines Will Grayson, Will Grayson

“Admittedly, I am only seventeen now. But some years are longer than others.” 5 likes
“I don't know the word for the feeling if there is one, but it's that feeling you get - or I hope you get it, anyway - when you realize the smallness of you, and the largeness of Everything Else. I'm not saying God necessarily. I'm saying you're outside at night and it's raining and you don't have an umbrella and you're running to get inside but then you stop and maybe you hold your hands palms up and feel the rain pound against your fingerprints and soak through your clothes and your wet hair against your neck and you realize how amazing it is while the thunder cracks.” 4 likes