Start by marking “The Third Life Of Grange Copeland ;Meridian ; The Color Purple” as Want to Read:
The Third Life Of Grange Copeland ;Meridian ; The Color Purple

The Third Life Of Grange Copeland ;Meridian ; The Color Purple

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published 2003 by Bookspan

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Life Of Grange Copeland ;Meridian ; The Color Purple

Debra Anne
This is one of those books that hook the reader before they know they are being hooked, and reels them on in even though they don't want to get caught. None of the characters grabbed me at first, and I kept intending to put the book down, but kept coming back until I realized that I was hooked.

Partly I was curious as to how author Alice Walker would resolve the issue of the evil white man. The characters blame white people for their grinding poverty as well as for their cruelty to each other --
Faith Colburn
As a white person who has had friends of all colors, I found myself squirming at the bleakness and violence of this book. I've read several of Alice Walker's books, and I admire and appreciate her unflinching portrayal of people's inhumanity--particularly that of wealthy whites--while I find them hard to read. I think some of the Native American peoples who preceded us on this continent worked to make the earth a good place to live, even to the seventh generation. By flipping that coin, Walker e ...more
Aina Buenaobra
This book is very inspiring and filled with history. It showed how many people lose their dreams because of situations they cannot control. However, when I finished the book, it made me realize that it is one's sole responsibility to protect his/her dream and make that dream a reality someday. You alone can emancipate yourself.
Alex
The Third Life of Grange Copeland gives a realistic glimpse into life as a black man in the early to mid twentieth century, chronicling the inevitable personal and societal changes that come with maturity, wisdom and time. Grange is a man with deep flaws and Ms. Walker's story telling leads the reader through a series of emotions toward him, ranging from sorrow to anger to eventual acceptance. The book challenges readers to face life as it was during that time and the impact that slavery and rac ...more
Cristina Dorestant
A gritty, tough, very realistic story chronicling the life of Grange Copeland and the generations that followed him. Sometimes uncomfortable to read the reality of life in the deep south during this time, but ultimately a clear reminder of one's one responsibility for one's own soul. Even days after I have finished reading it, the themes of this book reverberate daily.
Julie
A sad tough read. I cringed at the harsh treatment and broken attitudes used to inflict maximum pain. Alice Walker you are a star!
Heather
Feb 01, 2015 Heather added it
Shelves: ben
B C2 R5
Shay
Jan 21, 2010 Shay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Shay by: my sister
I really enjoyed my journey through these three Alice Walker novels. they were interesting and very easy to read. I enjoy the aspect of true history that she weaves into her fictional stories.
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Tapenya Mutanda
Tapenya Mutanda marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Kim Hufford
Kim Hufford marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Airetta
Airetta is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015
Hannadi
Hannadi marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jeremiah Boykin
Jeremiah Boykin marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Jayda Clarke
Jayda Clarke marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Lotte
Lotte marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Orwyn
Orwyn marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Akirah
Akirah marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Joyce Kimani
Joyce Kimani marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Angela2932
Angela2932 marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Frank
Frank added it
Feb 02, 2015
Jodi Witherell
Jodi Witherell marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Cyanne
Cyanne added it
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alice Walker (b. 1944), one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, an ...more
More about Alice Walker...
The Color Purple The Temple of My Familiar Possessing the Secret of Joy In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose Meridian