Start by marking “The Professional” as Want to Read:
The Professional

The Professional

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  51 reviews
In the new era, where every person's actions have the potential to have a global impact, we must redefine what it means to be a true professional.' By common definition, a professional is someone who possesses the skills and knowledge necessary to do a job-whether it's a top degree from a prestigious university or simply years of on-the-job training. For centuries, we have ...more
Published September 10th 2009 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Professional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Professional

Ramakrishnan M
Another excellent book by Subroto Bagchi. Written in a simple and effective style, this book is a quick guide on what aspects a "professional" needs to bear in mind. As usual, Subroto Bagchi draws inspiration and quotes not just from business but a lot from life. In fact, one of the first examples we read is about a person who handles unwanted corpses in Bangalore. Only Bagchi could connect professionalism with such a mundane, absolutely-not-sexy subject. Throughout the book we see examples from ...more
Kumar Jayant
Subroto Bagchi is such a delight with ‘Go Kiss the World’, you start with him and he grows on you, gradually but surely, much like the torque profile of a diesel engine- no lags, pure thrill! you even get in unison with him if you kind of had a similar ‘growing up years’ and a lot of readers myself included start to circumscribe him in ‘idolatry‘.

With ‘The Professional’ he looks like a man in hurry; out to quote record number of books he has authored despite not being a full time writer, ironica
Aravind Mohan
The PROFESSIONAL - I wanted this to be the first book I am reviewing; for, I ll know I am starting with a great book.

This book is for every professional. Every soul that wants to go the grave clean handed. Every individual who wants to be treated with respect in the society. Every mind that wants a peaceful sleep in the night.
A thought provoking book, which has hit the nail hard on the head when discussing about our daily activities. Every point described with the Author's real life experiences
Clare Cannon
I'm absolutely impressed with the qualities this books asserts as those of a true professional, and each one is explained with poignant examples that leave no room for doubt about what is the right thing to do. The only point to consider is that so many of the examples are set in India that one gets the impression that the book was intended for a local audience, though its themes are universal.
Pritam Nayak
The writer basically trying to keep more focus on the today's competitive word and the most important attribute of a professional "integrity" .The small real life examples on different aspect of today's world is really make the book wonderful. The best part is the book is written on targeting all type of audiences who are entering to the business world.
Madhusudhan S
Ideally, None of the management books interest me. They either be too preachy and sometimes be monotonous. This book is preachy alright and the author too admits the same in his preface.But even though, this book is an exclusion. The author tries to bring out all possible values and ethics of what is so called "The Professional". He clearly distinguishes who a Professional is and who an employee is.

The best part of the book would be the stories he narrates for each and every topic he takes.I
Ram Kumar Lanka
The Professional is a book that each employee should read. As you join in a new company or you are already working in a job, it is a great to read to reflect and self direct your career path. Lot of things that one should be aware but he/she is not taught during the college or during a company induction training, are available.
All the principles and thoughts that are mentioned in the book are completely valid and relevant for today's generation whose life is dependent mostly on their profession
Roshan B
This book is a bible for professional life. A leading example on how an employee of any stature or any organisation should mould his/her career on the grounds of professionalism. Subroto Bagchi endorses the very significant factor that contributes to the success of an employee i.e. the principles of self discipline and integrity. He also illustrates many instances to give a complete picture on the behaviour exhibited by true professionals. The difference between an employee and a professional is ...more
Abhishek
"The aim of education should be to make one realize that how little he/she knows". When I officially became an engineer, and started considering myself a "professional" guy, I did not realize the word has a much deeper meaning attached to it! It seems this book has made me take a step forward in my journey of education.

My primary motivation to pick up this book was the author himself. Thanks to technology (read YouTube) I have been on the receiving end of Mr Bagchi's words of wisdom, and was cu
Arun Kumar
Between the blurbs on the back of the book, the acknowledgment et al inside, and the inside flaps, it is the last paragraph on the front inside flap that does injustice to the book’s theme: being a professional need not give you ‘the cutting edge required for the twenty first century workplace’. The flap writer also errs in recommending the book as a ticket to ‘gain entry into the club of professionals’.
See the book and its professional appearance; pick it up – and its weight settles assuringly
Prakash
I wish my friends/acquaintances who are businessmen would read this book and take a leaf or two from this masterpiece. There is life beyond making that extra buck. Integrity is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect if one has to be a true professional.

Subroto has beautifully explained the concept of Purpose & Platform (see image). Go check the quadrant you fall in. If you fall in the high platform/low value quadrant and you're OK or happy about it, good for you :p

If you're not, there is always a chance
Tushar
If you an enthusiast, you going to have a lot of eye opening moments, the way it portrays the everyday sotuations a business person may need to tackle. Quite a delightful read, go for it.
Reshma Hegde
A must read for every aspiring Professional.
Muktesh
awesome book....liked it.
Balachandar Kaliappan
Jul 31, 2013 Balachandar Kaliappan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Balachandar by: Srinivasan
Working in corporate or doing business on your own or whatever is your profession, this book teaches you on "How to be a Professional". Author have done great research and also practically done a lot of experiments to write this book. Subroto Bagchi endeavor to bring out this book needs an appreciation. After reading this book, we will realize the mistakes that we do in our professional life. Must read for any person who is working or running a business.
Ankur Ashta
Ease of reading: 5/5
Entertaining: 3/5
Takeouts: 3.5/5
Different from others in the genre: 2/5

Problem areas: Gets preachy at times (though the author confesses it in the beginning). Talks of things, you have been reading since childhood. But it is a very very easy and quick reading. I read it in 8 hours flat.

Recommended for new readers and people with low vocabulary. some portions though are relevant for anyone in this world.
Jincy Varghese
An not so interesting book
Shantanu Desai
Great book with systematic examples to indicate impact of certain qualities that a professional MUST have and the qualities that a professional SHOULD have.
Its a read-in-a-go book and very handy to keep in shelf (just-in-case) for future references. Liked it!
Roshni Gautam
It is a good book, especially for young professionals starting out in the corporate world.

Pros
- The Professional is an easy interesting read
- Really good advice and very clear examples

Cons
- At times, advice seems a little idealistic, especially in an Indian context
- Talks about a lot of things

I have a lot of respect for Mr.Bagchi and enjoy his books tremendously.

Pragya
The Professional is an absorbing novel in which Subroto Bagchi gives a clear picture on how to be a true professional in the truest sense of the word. No matter what profession you aim for, some values and traits that are a must to not only survive, but to be recognized and succeed in your profession is what this book is about. I liked his style of structured writing.
Divya
This book deals with Integrity, Ethics and other normal aspects in work life , it doesn't provides the reader with the real aspects that is involved in work life . The book is written in form of examples to teach us the meaning of professional, which makes it kind of boring. Definitely not worth the price of the book.
Dev Thomas
Some interesting thoughts on what makes a complete professional. I used to be a big fan of Subrato Bagchi's TOI column. Compared to that, this book is a let down. It contains several standalone advices, but lacks a cohesive flow
Ramesh Chinnasamy
I felt that there are many new words which made my read bit complicated. Most of the sentences stop only after running 4 or 5 lines. Sometimes I felt like I paid to read the advertisement of MindTree.
Manohar
One of the best books written on Indian Employee practices, best and worst. It details what it takes and benefits of "Being Right than Convenient". One of the best books I ever read.
Pardeep Mittal
Sep 29, 2010 Pardeep Mittal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Youngsters
A master piece from Subroto Bagchi, that teaches you lessons to become professional, not only in your workplace but also in your approach in life. A must read for anyone wants to learn.
Lubna
Being a professional is an independent choice, however, this book provide a great guide. I have reviewed it, see this url
Xavier Shay
Read this.

I have some contrary thoughts to some of the vibe that I need to get down in writing, but that is me taking the book and running with it, not detracting from it.
Zainab Chhatriwala
An amazing insight of the corporate world and its etiquettes...
  • The TCS Story . . . And Beyond
  • Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen
  • Employees First, Customers Second: Turning Conventional Management Upside Down
  • Creation of Wealth: The Tatas from the 19th to the 21st Century
  • It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
  • Business Sutra: A Very Indian Approach to Management
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • The Greatness Guide: 101 Lessons for Making What's Good at Work and in Life Even Better
  • How To Get Things Done Without Trying Too Hard
  • Big Bang Disruption: Strategy in the Age of Devastating Innovation
  • The Dangerous Book Of Heroes
  • Inside Coca-Cola: A CEO's Life Story of Building the World's Most Popular Brand
  • Jugaad Innovation: A Frugal and Flexible Approach to Innovation for the 21st Century
  • Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff Omnibus
  • The How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Workbook: Your Personal Companion to How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • I Moved Your Cheese
Subroto Bagchi is best known for co-founding MindTree in 1999 where he started as the Chief Operating Officer. MindTree is among India’s most admired companies across industries. In 2008, Bagchi took on the role of Gardener at MindTree.

In this new role, Bagchi spends one-on-one time with the Top-100 leaders at MindTree on their ‘personal-professional’ issues to expand leadership capacity and build
More about Subroto Bagchi...
Go Kiss the World: Life Lessons For The Young Professional High-Performance Entrepreneur MBA at 16 The Professional: Defining the New Standard of Excellence at Work The Elephant Catchers: Key Lessons for Breakthrough Growth